Collard Greens Harvest

I always heard that it is best to pick collard greens after the first frost.

Woody from NC

Answers:

Collard Greens Harvest

This is true. The first frost makes the collards sweeter. I sometimes buy my collards fresh and stick them in the freezer. When I'm ready to cook them I just take them out of the freezer, defrost them, wash them, and cook them. This makes it easier to wash them, too. The collards shrink and get limp so the dirt washes right off. This method also makes them easier to get into the pot. (04/18/2007)

By EnSusie from Buckhead, GA

Collard Greens Harvest

Yes, better after a frost, but I wouldn't avoid them until a frost. Just know that they can be on the strong/bitter flavor side and use less in a mixed recipe. (04/19/2007)

By cookwie

Collard Greens Harvest

Before the frost sweetens them, pick only young, small leaves. I usually buy ham hocks as soon as I can get a big batch, and simmer them all day together. Then I freeze the extra for other times. (04/20/2007)

By Coreen

Collard Greens growing
Growing Collard Greens
Collard Greens
Canning Collard Greens
Collard Greens
Slow Cooker Collard Greens Recipes
Collard Greens
Preserving Collard Greens
Fresh Collard Greens
Cooking Fresh Collard Greens
🎄