Controlling Insects on Corn

What can I put on corn ears to keep the bugs and worms from eating them before they are harvested?

Check out and check their archives. If you are talking about the worms that tend to get in at the top and eat the tip of the ear, many people swear by putting a little mineral oil on the silks when they start showing.

July 5, 2011 Flag

Last year I was told to put a few drops of something on my corn when it started to silk and it would keep the bugs and worms off the corn. It worked, I just can't remember what it was that I put on it. Can anyone help me out. I would love to save my corn before the varmints have a feast!

By Sheila

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, you should use a few drops of cooking oil..vegetable, canola or any other cooking oil will work. Just gently separate the silks at the tip of the ear. Be careful not to break the silks as each silk is necessary for a kernel of corn on the ear. Place a few drops inside the husk. It will discourage the worms and will even drive them out if they are already inside the husk.

Harlean from Arkansas

Put a little Dipel dust in the top of the ear and you will have no worms. Anne from North Carolina

Mineral oil

Photo of radishes growing in a vegetable gardening.
Controlling Insects in Your Vegetable Garden
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingJune 2, 2011
bug spray
Identifying Flying Insects
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes
Lady Bug on a Green Leaf
Identifying Beneficial Garden Insects
Identifying and Controlling Leafhoppers