Cooking With Garlic

Category Cooking Tips
Cooking With Garlic
Get the most flavor out of garlic when cooking. This is a guide about cooking with garlic.

To crush garlic quickly with little clean-up, place the garlic in a clean cereal bag liner and place on top of a flat, palm sized washed and bleached rock. Use another clean flat rock to crush the garlic.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

There is new scientific evidence that eating garlic may reduce your chances of getting a heart attack. In order to be most effective, the garlic needs to be chopped up and sauteed or cooked for a short while. The beneficial ingredient will develop over time so be sure to chop up the garlic and let it sit for about 10 minutes before using.

Usually I would chop the garlic as my last step before throwing it in the pan. Now I just make sure to mince or press garlic as my first step when cooking and then prep the rest of the food. It is easy enough to do if I know it is important.

Source: I read about this in Cooking Light magazine. It was such an easy change in my routine that I thought I would share it with everyone else.

Jess in Oregon

Small Garlic Clove

• 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic juice
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1/2 tsp. dried garlic flakes

Medium Garlic Clove

• 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Large Garlic Clove

• 2 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Extra Large Garlic Clove

• 1 Tbsp. minced garlic

It takes a lot to overdo garlic. Use a generous teaspoon when measuring the equivalencies.
The same amount of onion can replace garlic in any dish.
If using garlic salt, reduce the amount of regular salt in your dish to avoid an over salted dish.

To get the full flavor of garlic without wasting the oils, when chopped or crushed, is to put the peeled, whole clove, into your sauces, and let simmer until soft (about 1/2 hour). Then mash the clove of garlic with a fork on the edge of the pot. Stir and continue to simmer. This tip was handed down from my Great Aunt.

By Glenda