Cooking a Turkey in an Electric Roaster Oven

Category Cooking Tips
Roast Chicken
Rather than using your oven to roast the turkey you can prepare the perfect bird in an electric roasting pan. This is a guide about cooking a turkey in an electric roaster oven.

Do I have to add water to the outer roaster pot to cook the turkey?

By Norma

I do. I add about 4 cups of water in with the turkey. I think pour melted butter over the turkey and sprinkle on my seasoning. As the turkey cooks, keep the lid on and baste it often (add more water if needed). A turkey cooked in an electric roaster usually cooks faster due to the smaller space around it.

Adding water steams the turkey. I learned this in a cooking class. Put butter under the breast skin.

Can I cook a turkey breast in a turkey bag in an electric roaster oven?

By David

You can contact the store where purchased or the manufacturer-online or phone.

How would you cook a turkey breast in a GE stand alone roaster?

By Cindy

Exactly the same way you would cook it in your oven. But here is some advice. Your oven is 220 if it is electric. Your stand alone oven is standard and takes a lot more power to run than your electric oven. If you have a gas oven it is still cheaper to run it than the stand alone. Stand alone ovens are great for taking a large amount of food to a gathering and keeping it warm.

Is it quicker to cook a turkey in an electric roaster?

By Denise

Answers

I use electric roaster whenever I roast turkey. It frees my oven to do last minute dressing, which we like to be baked in a biscuit pan rather than in the turkey, and to bake last minute dishes to keep them hot. I always put a bout 1 to 2 qts of water in bottom of roaster pan and put salt and pepper on the turkey. I turn the turkey breast down and roast at 350 degrees until it falls off bone. A 20 lb turkey will take about 4 to 5 hours. It will not be sliceable but if you let it set after cooking for about 30 without taking the lid off, it will be moist and very tender. On occasion I have cooked it from frozen state without taking the giblets or liver out of the cavity. No problem with the tase. Don't be afraid to put enough salt and pepper to make it taste good. The broth is really good to make the dressing, which I make from scratch.