Cooling Your Home

Category Cooling
Woman Cooling Her Home With Additional Insulation
There are several options available for cooling your home. Each has its benefits and shortcomings and of course its differing expenses. This is a guide about cooling your home.

I have two west facing windows. Needless to say, they get hot. I also have things in my window that shouldn't get hot but have no other place to put them. So today I spent $1.00 and 15 minutes on a fix that hopefully will help block out some of the sun.

I bought a foam board at the dollar store, cut it in half, and put it behind the tubs of supplies. I will wait a day to post this and make sure it helps. The white color is suppose to reflect the heat when you can't use foil.

I am sorry the images are so dark. I did the best I could do gauge the part of the day not too dark or too light.

When it gets very hot in the summer and my central air conditioning doesn't seem to be able to get everything equally cool, instead of running extra fans in rooms where there are no ceiling fans, I use the fan setting on the central air. It circulates the air very well and makes the whole house seem cooler just the way a fan does. It costs less money to run and thus no need to turn your air down and use more electricity to cool the house. Just make sure to change furnace/air filter more often. You can also do this in the winter when heating. Circulate the air for more warmth. I have been doing this for years, circulating the air in the whole house and saving money.

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

My kitchen gets very hot in the summer due to a large kitchen window. Even with the shades closed and slanted downward, and the ceiling fan running nonstop, I could not block the sun's rays from coming in.

I purchased a $6 car sun blocker from Walmart and cut them to fit my window measurements. I taped them to the window with scotch tape and voila! No more sun! My kitchen was no longer hot and I did not have the run the air conditioner as much.

By Amylucille from Fremont, Ohio

This is a guide about saving money on air conditioning. There are several strategies for saving money on air conditioners. Timing of your purchase may help and once purchased keeping it well maintained can also lower costs.

Turning down Air Conditioning

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Would a dehumidifier reduce air conditioning operating costs? I heard a rumor that it does reduce the power bill for air conditioning. The cost reduction is the result, both of reducing moisture and the drier air makes it more comfortable. Then we could set our thermostat for a higher temperature.

By bella swan from Forks, WA

Answers

We live in western NC where it is very humid and we do have a dehumidifier to take the moisture out of the air AND "it does work"! We live in an over 1200 sq ft house and our power bill is less then $30 a week and this is running our central air at 72 degrees 24/7! Try it and you won't be sorry.

What it does is make you feel more comfortable so you can set the thermostat warmer and still feel cool.

I would like to know what is more energy efficient: Using central air with ceiling fans OR using window fans with ceiling fans to cool the house. I really wonder because the central air only comes on when needed but the window fans are running constantly and are set at the highest settings. Does anyone know?

Michelle from Newark, DE

Refrigerated air conditioning is WAAAAAAAAAAY more expensive than using window/room fans. If you can be comfortable using only window fans, use them. Running a simple fan (or four), even on high uses very little electricity. Cooling the air is what makes an air conditioner so expensive to run. The fan in it is the cheap part.

We have an air conditioner but haven't used it for a couple of years (living in California), not since we installed an attic fan. The temperature could be just over 100 degrees F outside and it would (maybe) get to 76 degrees F inside (by 7pm). Very comfortable for us.