Saving Money on Air Conditioning

Category Cooling
There are several strategies for saving money on air conditioners. Timing of your purchase may help and once purchased keeping it well maintained can also lower costs. This is a page about saving money on air conditioning.

Electric bill high from air conditioning usage? I have two suggestions, one free and one not so free.

Turn the air off and clean the coils. When they are dry, it's OK to turn air back on. This is for a house unit (I don't know about single room window units).

Have freon level checked by a professional and increased, if needed.

Let me tell you what happened here. The air was going on and staying on for a long time. Seemed to take a lot of compressor effort to cool down the house even a couple of degrees (we turn the air off when we leave the house so it warms up quite a bit). Although the air coming out of the registers felt cool, I felt something was wrong.

We received more freon, and I thought it was all fixed, but after a few days, that feeling came back again. Asked DH how long it had been since the coils were cleaned. OMG! What a difference! What an improvement. The air felt colder and somehow, seemed to run more efficiently. From now on, the calendar has a "clean the coils" reminder.

Obviously, it wasn't just a dirty coils situation. But cleaning them was certainly a step in the right direction. My electric bill will be lower, just 'cause the air doesn't have to run so long.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Tips for getting the most out of your air conditioner. Post your ideas.

Don't wait till summertime to install an air conditioning unit. If you can wait till the 1st week in September through the 2nd week in October. Air conditioning systems usually are marked down sometimes up to 30% in price.

By Terri H.

I'm on disability and I desperately need an air conditioner. I'm on limited income and was wondering where I can find one.

Answers

Best Answer

This is the wrong time to be trying to get an air conditioner. The best time is winter. Now that the weather is warming up everybody is going to be scrambling to get one and you'll have a harder time finding one.
A nice person might let you buy one for less than they know they can charge if they understand your predicament. Try finding moving sales. People who are moving likely won't want to move the air conditioner because they are heavy and the new place might already have one.

If they turn down your offer, come back at the end of the day and see if they still have it and need to get rid of it.

Home and Garden Home Improvement CoolingNovember 4, 2016
😷
🐛
👔
🌻

Generated 2020-05-11 00:10:51 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️