Craft Ideas Using Zippers

Zippers can be used in creative ways to make pins, hair clips or for decorating clothing, purses, and bags. This guide contains craft ideas using zippers.

September 14, 2010 Flag

A purse with unusual trim.

Approximate Time: 5 hours

Instructions:

This purse has directions included in pattern. I think you could take any purse you buy that is rather plain and use this idea also. I have included everything that you need in the supplies to make the purse from scratch, but you certainly could use one that you have bought.

The roses on it are made from metal zippers. You take a metal zipper, I think these were 12 inch length ones, and cut the stopper end off so they are separated. Now you have two pieces.

1. You put them together on the short end to get enough length to gather them into a rose.
  2. Then you thread a needle with a double thread and run a gathering stitch on "tape" of the zipper.
  3. Ad

4. Sew the bottom as you go to form a rose.
  5. I used three lengths for the center rose, but the rest were all two lengths.

6. Then take one length to make the trailing stem, cutting the "tape" close to the zipper.
  7. After you get all these done, glue them to the bag with fabric glue.

By Elaine from IA

I'm totally stealing this idea. I have so many old zippers in my collection!

What a great idea to use zippers. I love this. Hugs.

Cannot wait to try doing this for myself. Thank you for such a creative idea. This just may be my Christmas presents to my friends, the Rowdy Girls.

Elaine, Was the McCalls's pattern easy or difficult to understand?

December 3, 2010 Flag

Pulled-apart zippers transform into funky hair clippies, sure to delight a girl or woman of ANY age!

Zipper Hair Clips

January 13, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a zipper rose. New or recycled zippers can be fashioned into beautiful, unique roses to be used as pins or for decorating clothing and accessories.

green rose

November 9, 2007 Flag

What can you make from lots of zippers?

I have an abundance of all kinds of zippers, different sizes and was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what crafty thing I could make from all these zippers. Something unusual that nobody else has. I sew all the time but hardly ever use these zippers. I make mostly things that are easy to make. Thanks for your feedback.

Marian from Danville, VA

being a seamstress I'm always using zippers and have lots too. this is a few crafts i plan on making to sell and give as gifts using fabrics and zippers.here is web site showing one of the ideas i am going to make but my stocking will be with plaid fabrics more on the old folk Americana theme using rag look. i also make rag scarves for your neck and at the bottom of each i put pockets with zippers, and i make rag coin bags using zippers. remember you can shorten zippers simply by cutting to your desired length and just stitch over the end a few times so your zipper pull will not come off. heres the site with the zippered stocking info.

http://www.ilovetocraft.com/sewing/christmas-stocking.shtml

i have had success with using 6and 7 inch zippers for friendship bracelets for little ones. you can use velcro on the ends or snaps. decorating them can run the gamut from beads to paints. hope this helps some.

a LONG time ago - on the cover of Elle a girl had a dress of zippers - one 1/2 was red & the other 1/2 was blue - it was the cutest dress I ever saw -- it was the 70's EVERYthing was sexier than it is now ;)

I remember seeing a pillow cover made with zippers a while back.

The pillow front was all zippers sewed to each other and the back was a regular envelope pillow back.

Quite funky looking actually. I thought about making a couple for my couch but I would have to BUY the zippers so it never happened.

Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 27, 2012
zipper flower
Making a Zipper Flower Pin
Open zipper in blue fabric on white background.
Saving Money on Zippers
Making Zipper Hair Clips
Making Zipper Hair Clips
Zipper
Buying Zippers
🎄
🍂