Craft Uses for Shaving Cream

Shaving cream has its place in the craft supply cabinet. This is a guide about craft uses for shaving cream.

Lifting paper away from the shaving cream.

March 16, 2015 Flag

This dough is very easy to make and my kids love it. It's even kinda cold when you are working with it. My daughter loves making snowmen with her dough. It's a big hit.

little girl with a ball of the dough

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: About 4 cups.

Source: Pinterest-inspired

• 4 cups of baking soda
  • 6 oz (1/2 of a 12 ounce can) of shaving cream

I got my shaving cream from the Dollar store.

1. Fill a bowl with shaving cream. I used about 1/2 of the can and it filled up my bowl.
  2. Add baking soda. Stir to mix. The consistency is similar to pie dough before you form it into a ball. You may need to add more baking soda or shaving cream to get it how you like it, but it seems pretty forgiving with the measurements.
  3. Shaving Cream Snow DoughShaving Cream Snow Dough
  4. Have fun making snowmen and whatever else your kids come up with!
  5. Shaving Cream Snow Dough

This reminds me of a popular product in the stores that my kids always wanted but it was too expensive so I never got it. Longest sentence ever!:) I think it's moon sand. I will definitely have to make this for them and maybe they'll forgive me.

January 28, 2012 Flag

Make colorful artwork using shaving cream and paint. Then transfer them to paper!

Approximate Time: 10 to 15 minutes

Supplies for shaving cream art.

1. Spray the shaving cream onto the tray or cookie sheet and spread to the size of the paper you have.
  2. Spreading the shaving cream onto pan.

3. Next drop some of each color of paint on top of the shaving cream.
  4. Drops of paint on top of shaving cream.

5. Using toothpicks have your child swirl the colors around in the shaving cream.
  6. Paint swirled into cream.

7. When they are finished creating their colorful artwork, place the card stock paper over top and press gently to make sure it touched all of the paint.
  8. Paper on top of shaving cream.

9. Next lift up the paper and using the spatula scrap the shaving cream off of the paper.
  10. Lifting paper away from the shaving cream.

11. The paper should have the colorful designs on in now. Let it dry and you can use the colorful paper for another craft in the future display your child's art work as it is!
  12. Finished art piece.

By Domestic Charm from Arizona

Thanks for sharing! I will definitely give it a try.

I'm going to pick up a can of cheap shaving cream and let the grandkids have a go at it. I think they're gonna love this idea! thanks for sharing this very creative project :D

June 13, 2008 Flag

My Dad, is on a genealogy kick. He's been going to a lot of old cemeteries, documenting old dates and info for births, deaths, marriages, number of children, etc. One problem he kept having was the dates not coming through on his camera, since the older tombstones turn dark with dirt, mold, etc. Now he carries a can of spray foam men's shaving cream with him, just for this very purpose. He'll spray it on the tombstone, smears it into the crevices of the wording and then wipes off the excess. Thus, leaving all the info he's in need of clear for the reading, which appears nicely in the photographs.

Source: Not sure where Dad got this info, but it works beautifully for him. Hope this can help others checking into their ancestry roots, too!

By Terri from NV

That's a REALLY GOOD idea!

Well what a great tip. My husband and I used to trek to some out of the way cemeteries out here in MO and I would take photos and had that

problem. Now I will gladly pass this tip to him as he very dedicated to his work on his family history.

They have a whole set of pamphlets for the education on tombstone preservation.

Cleaning A Gravestone

How to do Gravestone Rubbings:

Photographing Gravestones: A Few Basic Pointers by Trina Purcell

Tips for Photographing Gravestones, By Maureen Taylor

Suggestions for Your Cemetery Restoration and Stone Repair Toolbox

Brenda, This may work well on granite tombstones, but it NOT a good idea for older limestone, marble or slate tombstones. Shaving creme leaves acids in the stone which helps accelerate breakdown of the stone. Better to bring a cheap 24 x 30 plastic mirror, and use reflection from the sun to illuminate the markings. Check out for some good non destructive methods for cleaning and documenting old tombstones.

August 8, 2011 Flag

Mix shaving cream and a tablespoon or so of Kool-Aid to make a tinted, scented finger paint material for small children. A cookie sheet makes a good table on which to mix paint colors and serves as a play surface for the kids to swirl the shaving cream.

October 22, 2007 Flag

3-D finger painting! Perfect for preschoolers and elementary children. Try finger painting with equal parts of washable finger paints and shaving cream (the white, foamy, spray kind).

Crafts Crafts For KidsApril 2, 2013
A pink razor.
Shaving Your Bikini Area
A woman shaving her legs.
Tips for Shaving Your Legs
Shaving Cream on Black
Cleaning With Shaving Cream
Homemade Shave Cream
Homemade Shaving Cream Recipes