Crafts Using Bars of Soap
Soap bars can be fashioned into clever gifts. This guide contains crafts using bars of soap
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a vintage pattern that was originally made with an oval bar of Sweetheart soap. Since Sweetheart soap is no more, you will have to improvise. The soap that I have used for this pattern was found at the Dollar Tree store. The fish in the picture at the right is sitting on the box that the soap came in.
Approximate Time: About an hour
- 2 nylon net squares (12 inch, yellow or orange)
- 2 wiggly eyes 12MM
- twist tie
- small scrap of red felt or foam
- white glue
- 6 bulletin board push pins
- optional - sequins of assorted colors
- Stack the squares of net, lay soap on the net diagonally in the center of the square.
- Gather in your hand and draw as tightly as possible at the back of the bar. See photo.
- Secure the nylon net with a twist tie. Or you could use a piece of yarn. Pull the nylon net gently to form the fish tail.
- Using photo as your guide, glue the eyes in place.
- Cut a small heart shaped mouth from the felt or foam and glue to the front of the fish.
- Push 3 pins along the top at a slant for the fin.
- Push 3 pins into the bottom of the fish, 1 in front, and 2 behind. This is the base for the fish to stand on.
- Glue sequins of assorted colors randomly on the tail of the fish, if you wish.
By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR
Click here to download the instructions in PDF format.
Read More Comments
By guest (Guest Post)
July 23, 20080 found this helpful
Oh My Gawd! I remember making those with Dove soap with my Mom when I was a little girl. We used Faux pearls for thr fins and glued on google eyes. Thanx for reminding of a wonderful time in my life.
This is a vintage craft from the 60's made from nylon net and a bar of soap. The kids could help with this one. I think the shape of the Dove soap has changed so you may have to modify the pattern or the bar of soap to complete this project.Read More...