Crafts Using Bars of Soap
Soap bars can be fashioned into clever gifts. This guide contains crafts using bars of soap
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a vintage pattern that was originally made with an oval bar of Sweetheart soap. Since Sweetheart soap is no more, you will have to improvise. The soap that I have used for this pattern was found at the Dollar Tree store. The fish in the picture at the right is sitting on the box that the soap came in.
Approximate Time: About an hour
- 2 nylon net squares (12 inch, yellow or orange)
- 2 wiggly eyes 12MM
- twist tie
- small scrap of red felt or foam
- white glue
- 6 bulletin board push pins
- optional - sequins of assorted colors
- Stack the squares of net, lay soap on the net diagonally in the center of the square.
- Gather in your hand and draw as tightly as possible at the back of the bar. See photo.
- Secure the nylon net with a twist tie. Or you could use a piece of yarn. Pull the nylon net gently to form the fish tail.
- Using photo as your guide, glue the eyes in place.
- Cut a small heart shaped mouth from the felt or foam and glue to the front of the fish.
- Push 3 pins along the top at a slant for the fin.
- Push 3 pins into the bottom of the fish, 1 in front, and 2 behind. This is the base for the fish to stand on.
- Glue sequins of assorted colors randomly on the tail of the fish, if you wish.
By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR
Click here to download the instructions in PDF format.
Read More Comments By guest (Guest Post) Flag
July 22, 20080 found this helpful
Cute craft. Sweetheart soap can be found in the Vermont Country Store catalog. I haven't checked their web site but it is in the catalog.
This is a vintage craft from the 60's made from nylon net and a bar of soap. The kids could help with this one. I think the shape of the Dove soap has changed so you may have to modify the pattern or the bar of soap to complete this project.
Related Content(article continues below)Read More...
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on February 24, 2017 at 4:59:08 AM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us