Crafts Using Doilies

Presents wrapped in paper with doilies as accents.
Doilies can be used to protect furniture, to accent gift wrap, or in a variety of crafts. This guide is about different uses for doilies.

I love using paper doilies to accent gifts. It adds an elegant touch and is inexpensive. In this case I attached doilies on a plain pink birthday card and gift bag (for a little friend) with a glue stick. Then I decorated them with glitter alphabet and strawberry stickers. (I bought the paper doilies at Michaels.)

By Maricel from Fairfax, VA

Use doilies over plain paper wrap for smaller gifts. The doily can be used again.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

I collect crochet doilies and embroidered dresser scarves. I am looking for websites and suggestions for recycling/reusing them in craft projects. Thanks.

By Libby from TX

Kaelle, thanks so much for all the neat websites. Wow, I didn't wanna do laundry anyway lol!

Try wwww.Craftster.org. Great site.

What are some unique ideas for using antique doilies, table runners, or placemats?

By Mamie from East TN

Linen Preservation

Step 1Roll, rather than fold, items to be stored. Rolling prevents creases.

Step 2Wrap linens in buffered, acid-free tissue or Tyvec. According to Martha Stewart, anything made of wood, such as tissue paper, newsprint or cardboard will react with the linen and cause it to become yellow and brittle.

Step 3Place linens in an acid-free box or tube or in a cardboard box lined with muslin. Note that if you use muslin, you will need to wash it every couple of years.

Step 4Attach a picture of the item you are storing on the outside of the box or tube using cotton twill tape or book-binding tape. Or write a description of the item on a Tyvec label.

Step 5Seal the box with cotton twill tape or book-binding tape. Masking tape will harm the linen.

Linens on Display

Step 1Transform antique sheets or runners into imaginative curtains. A curtain rod with clips can make this a quick and easy job. You can even change the look with the seasons.

Step 2Sew vintage handkerchiefs into pillow covers.

Step 3Layer coordinating doilies and tea towels to use as place mats for a special table setting.

Step 4Create a family memorabilia shadow box with a pretty linen piece as the background.

Step 5Set up an antique ironing board, and arrange vintage linens on it as a corner focal point.

Good luck.

I am making Bible covers and they will feature doilies on the front. I haven't decided if the back will also have one at this point. I have made a toilet seat cover that featured ruffles, lace, and a large antique doily on it. For placemats, I've seen lovely clutch type purses made from them. I have several patchwork placemats, and it would be a fast project if I didn't enjoy them so much on my table! An idea for the table runners might be to create a valance for a small window. I've seen pretty valances made from antique hankies, but I'm sure a table runner or two would also work for that purpose. I keep a doiley on top of an old lampshade, to dim the light. I don't have a high watt bulb in the lamp, so as not to burn the doiley. Placemats can also be used to make book covers, as can table runners. Small coin purses could be made from the table runners, but would probably need to be lined, as would the book covers. You could make a tissue box cover with the placemats or the table runners, or even a small trash basket cover. I hope these ideas stir your creativity. Happy crafting!