Browsing: Crafts Using Ice Cream Containers

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Crafts Using Ice Cream Containers

These pails can be reused in many creative ways. This guide contains crafts using ice cream containers.

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 16, 2007 Flag

I buy ice cream in the clear buckets with handles. After the ice cream is gone, I wash and dry the bucket and lid. Then I use the bucket as a container for storing flour, sugar, cornmeal, cookies, chips, etc.

August 23, 2006 Flag

For bag handles, I cut out handles out of ice cream lids, then I wind ribbon, fabric strip, or even string around handles for a individual look. A lot cheaper than buying new. I also make windchimes out of plastic lids. I draw around cookie cutters, add fishing line and a stick to hang from with small bells at the bottom ends.

By Glenda from Queensland, Australia

December 16, 2009 Flag

Since we love ice cream so much, I like to buy the 5 quart size plastic containers of it. But instead of throwing the container away, I wash it out and reuse it for different things.

For instance, when I mix up cleaning solution, I invariably have a lot left over when I'm done cleaning. So I mix it into one of these containers, with the lid and the handle, and it is much easier to carry without fear of spilling along the way, and when I'm done I can just cover it, and save it for the next cleanup job.

Another thing I use it for is when I'm re-potting my house plants. It's a great size for mixing the different types of potting mixes, and also it's a good size for either scooping out of into a smaller pot, or pouring out of into a larger pot. And again, any left over mix can be covered and saved.

I have several in my bathroom. These I leave uncovered and have crocheted a pretty cover for them. One holds wash cloths, one holds extra bars of soap, and one is for other small bathroom items. Each hangs from a hook under a shelf on the wall. One is in the car hanging on a hook behind the front passenger seat, to catch any small things in the car. I keep one in the bathroom closet to hold all my pets' supplies such as the little tubes of flea drops, ear mite meds, heart worm pills, anything else like this. I also keep one in the bathroom for common medical supplies for us. Like band-aids, Neosporin, bandages and tape, a packet of extra ace bandage clips, things like this.

I keep one in the kitchen that my pets love because that's where I keep their little bags of treats too. As you can see I have them all over the place. They are so handy! And if I need another one, all I have to do is get some more ice cream!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

August 29, 2007 Flag

With the dog days of Summer up on us now, a cold dish of ice cream is one of the first things some people think of to cool off with. If you have children, you might already purchase the plastic 1 gallon pail containers of ice cream.

September 6, 2008 Flag

I have lots of empty colored plastic boxes with lids (oval and rectangle shapes) in which ice cream was sold. I am looking for some ideas for crafts or whatever using these containers as they are too good to be discarded. Thanks.

Hafee from Colombo

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could give them to a school art teacher or use them for trick or treating.

Hi there! How about storing yarn in there. Make a hole on top of the lid and thread your yarn through it.That way your yarn will stay put when you're knitting or crocheting. Hope this helped! :)

I have some of these containers I'm working on right now. I don't have any finished or I'd post a picture. I'm gluing fabric on the sides of the container. On the top I'm gluing a piece of matt board to cover the name. Then I'm going to punch holes in the sides and attach a cardboard handle, covered in matching fabric, with paper brads. I'll write some sort of inspirational saying on the top or congratulations or something else appropriate for giving as a gift.

Here are ideas for you to consider.

1. Make a hand draw string handbag. Use the bucket for the base just slip it inside. For making it quiter just glue some felt insde the bowl.

2. Paint add floppy ears and a handle to make Easter buckets.

3. Flower pots, just drill holes and paint it . Instead of drilling them you can make holes using nails, or soldering iron.

4. Use them to store your billo pads.

5. Paint them and decorate to make your own femine talc powder holder just buy the powder puffs.

6. Paint and make them a mini worm bed box for the fisherman.

Good luck.

December 20, 2011 Flag

I have lots of ice cream buckets and would like to make gift baskets out of them. I need to know how much material to buy and ideas?

By Sue S.

Take a look at clotilde.com at the jitter bucket or mug bucket for ideas.

If they are plastic, you can use plastic bumper paint from a car supply store to cover the printing.

November 7, 2008 Flag

I talked to a lady that makes baskets out of plastic ice cream buckets and cloth. I would like to find out how to make them. Does anyone know where I can get step by step instructions?

Kim from Fairmont, WV

You can order the pattern from the following website:

http://www.eunicefarmerfabrics.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PJ0001

Here is another pattern for sale:

http://www.bucketsgonewild.com/JitterBucket.html

The links below are for the same type thing only using a larger bucket instead of ice cream tub. Perhaps you could adapt it down:

http://noveltyquiltfabric.com/free_pattern.html

http://sewing.about.com/od/freeprojects/ss/bucketorganizer.htm

http://forums.about.com/ab-familycrafts/messages?lgnF=y&msg=3332.1

November 20, 2004 Flag

Ideas for using the large plastic ice cream buckets. Post your ideas.

I live in a small house so storage is always a problem. One of the things I do is to save the large plastic ice cream containers and lids to store small odds and ends. They stack well on our garage shelves too.

Another use for the plastic ice cream containers is to hold water for our two large breed dogs. I try to keep 2 of them full of water. This way I only have to add/change water about once per day. With two big dogs, they drink a lot of water, especially in the warmer months of the year.

By Robin

Do you know of anyone who has 18 inch dolls such as American Girl? If so, you can make a table for the dolls by taking the handle and lid off the bucket. Take the lid and cover it with batting and glue it down to inside of lid. glue the lid to the upside down bucket. Now take a piece of fabric for the tablecloth and cut a circle that has about a 24 inch diameter. Hem the edge and put over the bucket. Add a doily for the centerpiece and if you have it a toy tea set and someone will have alot of fun having tea with her dolls. This craft is also fast to do. Hope you have fun with it.... Enjoy and God bles

Spray paint them and the lids and fill with cookies, candies, etc to give as a christms gift. Or after spraypainting them drill several holes in the bottom and put a plant in them for a gift--add a festiver ribbon.

We also use them to buy large ags of dog food for our chihuahua and keeping it fresh in these plastic tubs and they really stack well

December 16, 2009 Flag

You can recycle small plastic containers for other uses. I just found out that the little plastic ball that my pantyhose sox came in is just the right size for keeping my temporary dental device when out of my mouth! I also recycle small orthodentic wax containers - which with labels make good little containers for pills while traveling. Of course, our mothers always kept pins, needles, etc in old metal sucrets boxes. Altoids still uses them - and some other European candies.

By Pam from Los Angeles

Answers:

Reusing Containers for Other Uses

We use leftover cottage cheese, butter containers, etc. for leftovers to send home with kids. They know if they bring them back, Mom will refill them. (09/13/2006)

By SARA

RE: Reusing Containers for Other Uses

Reusing Containers for Other Uses

I recycle all sorts of empty containers, plastic or glass. Makes good sense to get more uses from them! (09/13/2006)

By Debbie52

Reusing Containers for Other Uses

An ice-cream container (large plastic round one) can be used for a playhouse. Even with the lid on. Upside down. Spray paint and draw flowers on the outside. Cut holes for windows, doors, make the furniture out of other used containers, and a washcloth is a great "carpet". Can be taken on trips, and on the go as the container holds everything for long entertainment. This idea can also be used for a make believe barn for the farm animals. (06/18/2008)

By JAN

Crafts Recycled Crafts ContainersJanuary 21, 2013
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Fried ice cream.
Fried Ice Cream Recipes
Snow Ice Cream
Snow Ice Cream Recipes
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 12:19:47 AM on 10.0.2.19 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.