Crafts Using Ice Cream Containers

Category Containers
These pails can be reused in many creative ways. This guide contains crafts using ice cream containers.

For bag handles, I cut out handles out of ice cream lids, then I wind ribbon, fabric strip, or even string around handles for a individual look. A lot cheaper than buying new. I also make windchimes out of plastic lids. I draw around cookie cutters, add fishing line and a stick to hang from with small bells at the bottom ends.

By Glenda from Queensland, Australia

The latest ice cream pkgs/tubs like from Blue Bunny which are made of heavier durable plastic and which holds a tad under two quarts (you know, same price as before but hold smaller quantity)... are perfect for storing the two pound boxes of various kinds of flour from HogsdonMills.com. The box front is taped onto the oblong ice cream container so contents can be found quickly... any recipes from other parts of the box are stored inside. Usually my grocers carry most choices from this brand but i like to shop online for the others. No, i'm not an employee just a satisfied customer.

Their recipe for soy milk, on the outside of their soy flour box, tastes great! Following the directions, vanilla extract is added; since i'm on a diabetic-control diet, the sugar is replaced by Sweet 'n Low.

So far, the tubs have also held a quart-sized or double-sized recipe for homemade diet chocolate pudding and still looking for more suggestions on how to recycle them.

With the dog days of Summer up on us now, a cold dish of ice cream is one of the first things some people think of to cool off with. If you have children, you might already purchase the plastic 1 gallon pail containers of ice cream. If not, you might want to after reading this tip. After the ice cream is gone and the pail and lid and clean, make a cute Halloween treat pail!

Cut a hole in the the lid large enough for large hands as well as small hands to fit into comfortably. Then, paint both the lid as well as the outside of the bucket in Halloween colors of orange and black to resemble a Jack O Lantern. Either your little ones can carry it to collect Halloween goodies in or you could have your Halloween goodies in it on a table near your door for your Trick or Treaters to choose their Halloween snack or goodies from! With a few more months of hot weather, now there's more reason for buying more of the buckets of ice cream, make enough for all your kids or grandkids or sell them at your yardsales!

By Terri H. from NV

If you are planning to use the plastic buckets ice cream comes in use Krylon Fusion Spray Paint for plastic so the paint will not chip or peel off. The paint can be purchased at Lowe's, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart. It really sticks to plastic and does not bubble up.

I have lots of empty colored plastic boxes with lids (oval and rectangle shapes) in which ice cream was sold. I am looking for some ideas for crafts or whatever using these containers as they are too good to be discarded. Thanks.

Hafee from Colombo

You could give them to a school art teacher or use them for trick or treating.

Hi there! How about storing yarn in there. Make a hole on top of the lid and thread your yarn through it.That way your yarn will stay put when you're knitting or crocheting. Hope this helped! :)

I have some of these containers I'm working on right now. I don't have any finished or I'd post a picture. I'm gluing fabric on the sides of the container. On the top I'm gluing a piece of matt board to cover the name. Then I'm going to punch holes in the sides and attach a cardboard handle, covered in matching fabric, with paper brads. I'll write some sort of inspirational saying on the top or congratulations or something else appropriate for giving as a gift.

Here are ideas for you to consider.

1. Make a hand draw string handbag. Use the bucket for the base just slip it inside. For making it quiter just glue some felt insde the bowl.

2. Paint add floppy ears and a handle to make Easter buckets.

3. Flower pots, just drill holes and paint it . Instead of drilling them you can make holes using nails, or soldering iron.

4. Use them to store your billo pads.

5. Paint them and decorate to make your own femine talc powder holder just buy the powder puffs.

6. Paint and make them a mini worm bed box for the fisherman.

Good luck.

I have lots of ice cream buckets and would like to make gift baskets out of them. I need to know how much material to buy and ideas?

By Sue S.

Take a look at clotilde.com at the jitter bucket or mug bucket for ideas.

If they are plastic, you can use plastic bumper paint from a car supply store to cover the printing.

I talked to a lady that makes baskets out of plastic ice cream buckets and cloth. I would like to find out how to make them. Does anyone know where I can get step by step instructions?

Kim from Fairmont, WV

You can order the pattern from the following website:

http://www.euni  productid=PJ0001

Here is another pattern for sale:

http://www.buck  itterBucket.html

The links below are for the same type thing only using a larger bucket instead of ice cream tub. Perhaps you could adapt it down:

http://noveltyq  ree_pattern.html

http://sewing.a  ketorganizer.htm

http://forums.a  y&msg=3332.1

Does anyone have any ideas for crafts kids can make using 3 or 5 gallon ice cream pails, beyond the usual Easter or Halloween baskets?

By Vonni A.