Crafts Using Glass Flower Vases

Category Containers
These cut flower display containers that are easy to come by, can be fun decorating projects. This guide contains crafts using glass flower vases.

Old bud vases make great decor or find new usefulness as a candy dish.
I painted mine as a Santa for Christmas.

If you have extra, empty vases, cover them with cloth of your choice. Place a heavy object in bottom to keep the vase from falling over. Buy Styrofoam craft balls or doll heads to fit in the vase opening. Add facial features to Styrofoam balls. Use some yarn for hair. Make a cap from cloth to match the body. It is a good way to use extra vases for inexpensive gifts or knickknacks. I take them to sick friends for a "Get Well," or "Cheer up," gift.

By Gladys

I know that this is an old request, I have been trying to make a doll out of a vase. I am having a terrible time with the head and face. I have a 4" opening in the vace. A styrofoam 4" ball fits perfect. What do you cover the ball with and how do you get the features on, paint, draw or glue something on?

Thanks for any help... I just found this web page.

Yarn Wrapped Vase With Tulips

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making a yarn wrapped vase. If you are looking for an easy, but attractive, way to give new life to a plain vase; try wrapping it with colorful yarn.

I am searching for ideas on reusing glass flower vases. I want to do something with them for a Christmas bazarr. I have all sizes and shapes of vases and rose bowls. It needs to be something easy and inexpensive, as I have many! I hate having to toss them.

Thanks, in advance, for any 'solutions'!

Billie

My husband noticed surplus of empty vases

and (he's a keeper) so he took them to

local florist and got great deal and I

had flowers free for each season. The florist

took the vases and each season gave him

a gorgeous arrangement. Works for me!

Annie~Butterfly~ in MO

I would decorate them nicely with ribbon, bows, greenery, pinecones and any Christmas craft stuff on hand, then tuck in some fresh greenery and the smells of Christmas enter your home. Especially nice if folks have a fake tree. Or use them, decorated, as containers for anything. Well washed they can hold food-maybe homemade cookies or granola, bath salts, and if they are the really big ones, a bottle of favorite beverage. When my dad broke his leg a neighbor gave him a vase with a bottle of liquor in it, hidden by a very ugly spray of plastic flowers. We all thought it was a really tacky gift, until we discovered the bottle hidden within!

Get a small strand (50 or less) of white christmas lights (found mine at the Dollar Store), bag of poutpourri, a lace doily big enough to cover the opening of the vase, and ribbon. Fill the vase with the lights and poutpourri. You want to add each a little at a time so that the lights are mixed in through out the poutpourri. Make sure you leave the end of the light cord out of the vase. Put the lace doily on top of the vase (you may want to use the glue gun to help hold it in place) and tie the ribbon around. When you plug this in, it looks beautiful, and the lights heat up the poutpourri enough to release the scent. It does not get hot enough to burn though as long as you use a strand with a small number of lights (I used 50, but if you can find fewer that is even better).

You could get multi colored tissue paper. Red, Green, Royal Blue, etc., and glue torn pieces onto the vases. Then put a candle inside each. My son did this one at school with a small jar and I have two (2) slender vases that I bought to do this to. The effects are beautiful.

If you have fabric around the house, it makes a cheap and easy way to decorate a vase. Cut the fabric to fit the vase but allow extra material at the top. Place a rubberband around the neck of the vase and slip the fabric on the inside of the vase neck, under the rubberband. It's nice to change them for the seasons or even special events.

I collected some vases and clear jars, added sand and shells. Buyers loved them.

I made smaller ones with plastic jars for preschool discovery table and secured lids very tightly with glue. In addition to shells, I added other interesting items such as a small toy car. They played "discovery" with them, by shifting the jars back and forth to see what would "come up."

All great ideas! I'm very visual so I recommend visiting this site and either posting your question or doing a search of the forum for past posts. There are many, many pictures!! HTH.

http://ths.gard  forums/treasure/

An inexpensive way to decorate for Summer is to put lemons in the bottom of a vase or bowl and then put a few blue silk flowers coming out of the top

I have several medium to large glass vases that are sitting around collecting dust. I'm wondering about crafts to do with them. I have one on my table filled with pine cones and acorns and other seasonal dried flora as decoration. Thanks!

Stefani from Lexington, KY

My mom for the holidays used to fill them with round Christmas ball ornaments and put a string of mini-lights in/around the balls and it looked really pretty.

I have also seen "reverse decoupage" on glass vases and such. Just like reg decoupage only you put the stickers or paper cut-outs or photos on the INSIDE of the glass.

I have also seen arrangements where you put in cranberries on the bottom third or so and place a white pillar candle in the center for Thanksgiving.

If you have a larger wider one you could make a terrarium in one. Or fill one with layers of different colors of sand where you make sand art.

Any kind of collections of small items like marbles or small toys or sewing thread or candy looks good in glass. Or fill with lemons or nuts in the shell or seashells.

Get a beta fish and use a vase for it's home. They like small spaces I hear.

You could buy some etching cream or glass frosting spray paint or colored glass paint and make a design on a vase.

If the vase(s) have smooth top edges, get a glass plate(bread and butter size or a saucer) in clear glass. Using assorted colors of aquarium sand, make a layered design, dipping skewers in to make changes in the lines of the design if desired. Then,using a glass or porcelaine glue,attach the plate/saucer to the top of the vase, bottom side to the lip of the vase. Add a pillar candle and u have a lovely candle stand.

I have not tried this but I will; get a plate larger than the top of the vase but not too big that it will make it tip.

you can put something colorful inside (or not) and use glass glue to glue the plate to the top and you have made a cake plate that is one of a kind. another idea is to fill vase with potporri(spelled wrong?)and throughout the potporri put a string of Christmas lights leaving the plug out of course cover the top with a pretty paper or real doily(sp?).

So when you turn the lights on, it smells good luck to ya me to ;)

I have actually been looking for some glass vases so that I can put small jewels or aquarium rocks or small shells in the bottom, then put a candle in a decorate with ribbon, although i was thinking about also sponge painting part of the jar for decor too! Hope it helps someone else!

I used two of mine for betta fish tanks. Bettas like small area tanks and they look great with some lucky bamboo coming out of the top. Good luck