Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Crafts Using Glass Flower Vases

1 0EmailFollow
Wrapping yarn around a glass vase.

These cut flower display containers that are easy to come by, can be fun decorating projects. This guide contains crafts using glass flower vases.

Video: Making a Yarn Wrapped Vase

This video shows you the easy steps to making your own unique vase by wrapping it with yarn. View the full project here: Yarn Wrapped Vase

Solutions: Crafts Using Glass Flower Vases

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Yarn Wrapped Vase

Vase in the WindowGoodwill always has a bunch of glass vases for sale. I decided to dress up one of these vases by wrapping it in colorful yarn. It turned out really cute!

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

• clear vase
  • yarn
  • Modge Podge
  • scissors
  • sponge brush, paint brush, etc.
  • clear coat (optional)
Supplies for yarn wrapped vase.

Instructions:

1. First, clean and thoroughly dry the vase.
  2. Starting at the neck of the vase, apply a thin layer of Modge Podge and adhere the beginning of the yarn. Using a paint brush apply some addition Modge Podge on to the yarn end to help hold it in place.
  3. Applying Modge Podge to vase. Applying extra Modge Podge on beginning yarn end

4. Begin wrapping the yarn around the vase, while holding the glued end of the yarn in place so that it doesn't slip. After you have gone around the vase 5-6 times if is probably safe to let go of the end.
  5. Wrapping yarn around vase.

6. I recommend applying the Modge Podge no more than an inch or so at a time as it will dry out while you are wrapping. Continue applying Modge Podge and wrapping the yarn until you reach the bottom of the vase.
  7. Continuing to wrap yarn. Half way mark on yarn wrapping.

8. It is important to keep the yarn taut as you wrap it, to ensure that it stays tight to the vase and adheres well.
  9. Apply a little extra Modge Podge where the yarn ends and cut the yarn. Hold the end in place for a minute so that it adheres well. Allow vase to thoroughly dry.
  10. Applying Modge Podge with paint brush. Gluing end of yarn.

11. Once the vase is dry, you may want to spray the vase with clear coat. Modge Podge is water-soluble, so clear coat is recommended if you plan to put water and flowers in your vase.

Note: This same technique could be used on many different glass jars, for other uses. Have fun!

Finished vase.

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA

Tip: Decorating an Old Bud Vase

Santa painted on bud vase.

Old bud vases make great decor or find new usefulness as a candy dish.
I painted mine as a Santa for Christmas.

Looking down at candy in painted vase.

By

Tip: Decorate a Vase Like a Doll

If you have extra, empty vases, cover them with cloth of your choice. Place a heavy object in bottom to keep the vase from falling over. Buy Styrofoam craft balls or doll heads to fit in the vase opening. Add facial features to Styrofoam balls. Use some yarn for hair. Make a cap from cloth to match the body. It is a good way to use extra vases for inexpensive gifts or knickknacks. I take them to sick friends for a "Get Well," or "Cheer up," gift.

By Gladys

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Crafts Using Glass Flower Vases.

Question: Crafts for Large Glass Vases

I have several medium to large glass vases that are sitting around collecting dust. I'm wondering about crafts to do with them. I have one on my table filled with pine cones and acorns and other seasonal dried flora as decoration. Thanks!

Stefani from Lexington, KY

Most Recent Answer

By Lisa (Guest Post)09/17/2008

I used two of mine for betta fish tanks. Bettas like small area tanks and they look great with some lucky bamboo coming out of the top. Good luck

Question: Crafts With Glass Flower Vase

I am searching for ideas on reusing glass flower vases. I want to do something with them for a Christmas bazarr. I have all sizes and shapes of vases and rose bowls. It needs to be something easy and inexpensive, as I have many! I hate having to toss them.

Thanks, in advance, for any 'solutions'!

Billie

Most Recent Answer

By (Guest Post)03/29/2006

glass painting or glaze pens could be used to decorate them.