Yard ArtGarden & Yard

Creating and Selling Plywood Yard Art

Years ago I made a Charlie Brown Christmas plywood scene and I had a lot of fun doing it. Well times are getting tougher as I am getting older and supplementing our income is getting to be an important issue. Is anyone out there doing this type of work and is it remotely lucrative? I would really love to get with people on this forum and get advice and a little guidance on the business end of things. Right now I will have to work off a couple saw horses, but I know it will be enough. Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you.

Times are tough for all of us, Tearick, but I absolutely understand wanting to supplement income. My first reaction isn't very helpful, I'm afraid. If I (for instance) am limiting my spending to essentials, why would I want to buy more Christmas decor? I'll make do with what I have. Do you think other people are of the same mind? My second thought isn't very cheery, either. What are you going to have to spend in materials, supplies and tools? I would suggest finding a corporate client before doing anything and once you have a firm committment (in writing, with an advance to cover costs), that would be a great time to proceed.

When I think of other ways to earn money, I tend to shy away from "inventory," the stuff I have to buy and keep on hand until customers buy it from me.

Do you have saleable skills? Are you interested in working on a part time basis for any of your local businesses?

Or do you have access to inexpensive supplies, such as crab-apples, which you could turn into jelly (for example) for a very low cost. Consumers do love sweets, and home-made consumables. Look around at what your friends and neighbours purchase, even in these economic times, and see what you could make that would be better than store-bought?

Wishing you every success!

Thank you for your sage advice and it has caused me to want to think things over. You're right, I don't want the clutter of inventory and I may try to do something different. Probably just wishful thinking on my part and getting extra part time work would probably be more realistic. Thank you very much for your advice. :)

People do buy yard art and decorations where I live, including welcome signs, personalized last name signs and depictions of wildlife that live near here, such as deer, elk and bear.

You will want to get on your local Facebook buy and sell and community sites and post your products. Don't use blurry pictures or poor lighting.

Have you considered also making summer things like bird houses, dog beds and small dog houses? Good luck.

Hi, I live in Montana where there is a fair amount of tourism but not a whole lot in my area so I'd have to travel which may not be realistic at present. Art being one of my interests has me trying to come up with ways to generate a bit of extra income. People do like bears, moose and wildlife and maybe I could come up with something. I like your idea about bird houses and such as I like wood work as well. Thank you very much for your input and advice. Yes Facebook might be a great option for free advertising locally. Welcome signs seem like a great idea also and I will sincerely consider your suggestions. Thanks again! :)

In addition to the previous comments be careful not to duplicate anything that has a copy right and try to sell it you can make them yourself but not to sell.

Thank you and yes I will consider that as well. :)