Browsing: Creative Uses for Canning Jars

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Creative Uses for Canning Jars

Besides canning and storing foods, there are ways these jars can be used or reused for crafts. This guide is about creative uses for canning jars.

Painted snowman canning jar
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 9, 2012 Flag

Use an old or new wide mouth jar as your holiday candy holder. Paint any design with acrylic paints. Spray with a sealant like clear varnish spray. Add a touch of whimsy with a fabric tie. Add treats.

Painted jar for treats.

Directions:

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 20, 2006 Flag

Anyone have any creative ideas on how to use mason jars as centerpieces at my reception? They are blue perfect mason jars. I was thinking a bouquet with floralytes.

Jenny from Belle Plaine, MN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I know I want to use the mason jars that I have. I am thinking about floating lights in them and setting them on some kinds of cloth with some decorations around them. My soon to be mother in-law makes oil candles out of them, she uses a photo of whatever you want then put burning oil and a wick in the lid and you have a photo oil candle!

I had the idea of using a terra cotta clay pot for my main centerpiece with mason jars with votive candles surrounding it. im trying to go for an english garden theme. How does this sound? and one have more i could add to it?

I had a French country/English garden themed wedding myself last June. I used the blue/aqua colored mason jars (hard to find sometimes - so the clear are pretty too). I used old watering cans filled with hydrangeas, calla lilies, peonies and ivory roses as the main centerpieces. I bought all different styles and different metals/material of old watering cans. Some were new so I had to "age" them and then I put the mason jars around the water cans with votives in them. White votives looked the best!

Also - for my ring bearer and flower girl, I did not buy a traditional basket and pillow. Instead I used an old grapevine basket and tied calla lilies to the side with ivory tulle and for the ring bearer pillow I used an actual small throw pillow with an ivory and chocolate brown damask print and tied the same ivory tulle around it. (very cute touch!)

As wedding favors I used mini terra cotta pots, tied with ivory tulle and planted different annual flowers in them with "thank you" tags and gave those to each guest. My bridesmaids wore very pretty/delicate sun dresses in different shades of ivory, chocolate brown and robins egg blue.

Congrats and Good Luck!

I used mason jars at my wedding with whatever flowers I could get my hands on. They were just the clear straight sided ones and I tied a copper ribbon on each one. I thought they were beautiful.

Read More Answers...

August 5, 2008 Flag

Candle holder on top of jar filled with spools of thread.Taking just about any canning jar, you can decorate the outside or inside, and put a candle safely in the top.

Approximate Time 30-120 minutes

Instructions:

Decoupage items will be needed if you choose that form of decoration. If not, simply fill the jar with water and food coloring, rocks, pretty sand, shells, old craft items, buttons, beans or anything you want. If your items are messy, you may want to put some hot glue around the top of the jar and set your applesauce container down and make it a permanent fixture. If not, simply set it on top and light the candle. You can always keep the lid to the jar to seal it when not in use, or just cover the candle with a Pringles lid.

By Sandra from Salem OR

Editor's Note: We worry about the flammable nature of the applesauce cups. It works well for displaying a candle, but with lighting the candle, the plastic might burn. An old custard cup or glass or metal small candle holder might be safer, if you plan to light the candle.

July 8, 2012 Flag

I need some ideas for old jelly jars.

By Pam

http://www.momtastic.com/diy/168908-diy-tinted-mason-jars-in-rainbow

This is how to tint jars and glass.

You could put some homemade bath salts, milk bath or bath fizzies or bath bombs in them & give as a gift. Or make a piggy bank out of it & put the name of whatever you are saving for on it.

Example: expensive dinner out or craft fund or new shoes & just drop loose change in it. Also make candles in them or put hot cocoa mix w/marshmallows inside.The possibilities are endless! Good luck with whatever you choose & keep on crafting! : D

June 14, 2010 Flag

Use a glass mason jar as a measuring cup for liquids. It has all the markings listed on the side.

By tami333 from Auburn, GA

September 8, 2006 Flag

Make a Mason Jar Oil Lamp Craft Project. Punch hole in center of lid. Bring wick up through hole. Secure wick with washer on underside of lid.

January 17, 2013 Flag
Mason jar glued to candle holder.

Photo Description
Redneck wine glass made out of candle holder and Mason jar ( with E-6000 glue).

Photo Location
This was from my friend for Christmas, I love them. You don't put them in the washer though, you hand wash them. They have to be sanded on the bottom before they are glued together. It is a small Mason jar.

March 31, 2012 Flag

This guide contains homemade gifts in a jar ideas. Soups, cookie mixes, the options are numerous for gifts in a jar.

gift mix in a jar

December 16, 2000 Flag

I always have canning jars around. At Christmas, I fill some with assorted Christmas colored candy; those star brite mints, gold and silver foil wrapped candies, etc.

Crafts MiscellaneousDecember 17, 2012
Baking in Canning Jars
Baking in Canning Jars
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:34:47 AM on 10.0.1.230 in 475 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.