Creative Uses for Canning Jars

Besides canning and storing foods, there are ways these jars can be used or reused for crafts. This guide is about creative uses for canning jars.

September 17, 2009 Flag

If your blender cap, gasket, and blades will fit onto a standard canning jar, you have your very own Magic Bullet, coffee grinder, and baby food grinder in one. I already had drinking glasses that have handles on them that look like canning jars, and regular canning jars can be used for drinking glasses too.

I have found that the pint size canning jars were the most useful for me, like for grinding and keeping fresh ground coffee beans (ask online how many seconds to grind beans for what type of coffee you want). I have used other sizes too. I have some of the small 1/2 cup ones that works well for my grandson's homemade baby food too. I also bought a box of 12 canning lids that twist, not expensive, and not the usual two part canning jar lids, and they are great for covering anything left over put into the refrigerator.

My Oster blenders have always been able to use canning jars for me. I don't know about the other types of blenders, so just check and see if they will fit. I'm pretty sure there are others that will fit too.

Be careful with using boiling water in blending in the canning jars. I didn't have any problems with it ever, but I thought it was best to put a towel over it before blending, just in case.

By kas2 from Grand Rapids, MI

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 15 Comments

July 24, 2009 Flag

For my lunches, I use wax paper to wrap my sandwiches in, but I often take soup, salad, jello, or puddings. For these I have several different sizes of mason jars. You can store these in the freezer, fridge, and they can be microwaved. After use, wash and return for tomorrow's lunch.

Also, all my baking supplies are in mason jars. You can go to garage sales or second hand shops. I have even been given them free from people who don't can anymore.

By Marymargaret from Scotland, Ontario

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

August 5, 2008 Flag

Taking just about any canning jar, you can decorate the outside or inside, and put a candle safely in the top.

Approximate Time 30-120 minutes

Instructions:

Decoupage items will be needed if you choose that form of decoration. If not, simply fill the jar with water and food coloring, rocks, pretty sand, shells, old craft items, buttons, beans or anything you want. If your items are messy, you may want to put some hot glue around the top of the jar and set your applesauce container down and make it a permanent fixture. If not, simply set it on top and light the candle. You can always keep the lid to the jar to seal it when not in use, or just cover the candle with a Pringles lid.

By Sandra from Salem OR

Editor's Note: We worry about the flammable nature of the applesauce cups. It works well for displaying a candle, but with lighting the candle, the plastic might burn. An old custard cup or glass or metal small candle holder might be safer, if you plan to light the candle.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

June 14, 2010 Flag

Use a glass mason jar as a measuring cup for liquids. It has all the markings listed on the side.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 8, 2006 Flag

Make a Mason Jar Oil Lamp Craft Project. Punch hole in center of lid. Bring wick up through hole. Secure wick with washer on underside of lid.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 31, 2012 Flag

gift mix in a jar

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This guide contains homemade gifts in a jar ideas. Soups, cookie mixes, the options are numerous for gifts in a jar.

May 7, 2013 Flag

mason jar vase

There are many ways to use and reuse these food storage containers. This guide contains crafts using Mason jars.

December 16, 2000 Flag

I always have canning jars around. At Christmas, I fill some with assorted Christmas colored candy; those star brite mints, gold and silver foil wrapped candies, etc.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 20, 2006 Flag

Anyone have any creative ideas on how to use mason jars as centerpieces at my reception? They are blue perfect mason jars. I was thinking a bouquet with floralytes.

Jenny from Belle Plaine, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could fill the Mason Jar with silk flowers and fill with distilled water so they don't turn weird colors and then add a floating candle for a romantic touch.

I know I want to use the mason jars that I have. I am thinking about floating lights in them and setting them on some kinds of cloth with some decorations around them. My soon to be mother in-law makes oil candles out of them, she uses a photo of whatever you want then put burning oil and a wick in the lid and you have a photo oil candle!

I had the idea of using a terra cotta clay pot for my main centerpiece with mason jars with votive candles surrounding it. im trying to go for an english garden theme. How does this sound? and one have more i could add to it?

I had a French country/English garden themed wedding myself last June. I used the blue/aqua colored mason jars (hard to find sometimes - so the clear are pretty too). I used old watering cans filled with hydrangeas, calla lilies, peonies and ivory roses as the main centerpieces. I bought all different styles and different metals/material of old watering cans. Some were new so I had to "age" them and then I put the mason jars around the water cans with votives in them. White votives looked the best!

Also - for my ring bearer and flower girl, I did not buy a traditional basket and pillow. Instead I used an old grapevine basket and tied calla lilies to the side with ivory tulle and for the ring bearer pillow I used an actual small throw pillow with an ivory and chocolate brown damask print and tied the same ivory tulle around it. (very cute touch!)

As wedding favors I used mini terra cotta pots, tied with ivory tulle and planted different annual flowers in them with "thank you" tags and gave those to each guest. My bridesmaids wore very pretty/delicate sun dresses in different shades of ivory, chocolate brown and robins egg blue.

Congrats and Good Luck!

July 8, 2012 Flag

I need some ideas for old jelly jars.

By Pam

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.momt  -jars-in-rainbow

This is how to tint jars and glass.

You could put some homemade bath salts, milk bath or bath fizzies or bath bombs in them & give as a gift. Or make a piggy bank out of it & put the name of whatever you are saving for on it.

Example: expensive dinner out or craft fund or new shoes & just drop loose change in it. Also make candles in them or put hot cocoa mix w/marshmallows inside.The possibilities are endless! Good luck with whatever you choose & keep on crafting! : D

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

January 17, 2013 Flag

Photo Description
Redneck wine glass made out of candle holder and Mason jar ( with E-6000 glue).

Photo Location
This was from my friend for Christmas, I love them. You don't put them in the washer though, you hand wash them. They have to be sanded on the bottom before they are glued together. It is a small Mason jar.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts MiscellaneousDecember 17, 2012
mason jar vase
Crafts Using Mason Jars
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
gift mix in a jar
Homemade Gifts in a Jar Ideas
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 3:31:06 AM on 10.0.2.19 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.