Creative Uses for Canning Jars

Category Miscellaneous
Painted snowman canning jar
Besides canning and storing foods, there are ways these jars can be used or reused for crafts. This guide is about creative uses for canning jars.

If your blender cap, gasket, and blades will fit onto a standard canning jar, you have your very own Magic Bullet, coffee grinder, and baby food grinder in one. I already had drinking glasses that have handles on them that look like canning jars, and regular canning jars can be used for drinking glasses too.

I have found that the pint size canning jars were the most useful for me, like for grinding and keeping fresh ground coffee beans (ask online how many seconds to grind beans for what type of coffee you want). I have used other sizes too. I have some of the small 1/2 cup ones that works well for my grandson's homemade baby food too. I also bought a box of 12 canning lids that twist, not expensive, and not the usual two part canning jar lids, and they are great for covering anything left over put into the refrigerator.

My Oster blenders have always been able to use canning jars for me. I don't know about the other types of blenders, so just check and see if they will fit. I'm pretty sure there are others that will fit too.

Be careful with using boiling water in blending in the canning jars. I didn't have any problems with it ever, but I thought it was best to put a towel over it before blending, just in case.

By kas2 from Grand Rapids, MI

Read 15 Comments

Taking just about any canning jar, you can decorate the outside or inside, and put a candle safely in the top.

Approximate Time 30-120 minutes

Instructions:

Decoupage items will be needed if you choose that form of decoration. If not, simply fill the jar with water and food coloring, rocks, pretty sand, shells, old craft items, buttons, beans or anything you want. If your items are messy, you may want to put some hot glue around the top of the jar and set your applesauce container down and make it a permanent fixture. If not, simply set it on top and light the candle. You can always keep the lid to the jar to seal it when not in use, or just cover the candle with a Pringles lid.

By Sandra from Salem OR

Editor's Note: We worry about the flammable nature of the applesauce cups. It works well for displaying a candle, but with lighting the candle, the plastic might burn. An old custard cup or glass or metal small candle holder might be safer, if you plan to light the candle.

Read 5 Comments

Use a glass mason jar as a measuring cup for liquids. It has all the markings listed on the side.

By tami333 from Auburn, GA

Read 1 Comment

Supplies

• pint canning jar and lid
  • lamp oil
  • candle wick
  • pre-assembled wick and ball
  • potpourri *
  • ribbon or raffia
  • punch or screwdriver

Directions

1. Punch hole in center of lid. Bring wick up through hole. Secure wick with washer on underside of lid.
  2. Fill jar with potpourri. Add lamp oil.
  3. Tie a ribbon bow around neck of jar. Cut the ribbon very short so it is not near the flame.
  4. *I put colorful autumn leaves and twigs in the jar for the fall and pine cones and foam snowflakes with potpourri for the winter. Adjust decorations according to the seasons.

By Laurie from Pahrump, NV

Read 3 Comments

This guide contains homemade gifts in a jar ideas. Soups, cookie mixes, the options are numerous for gifts in a jar.

gift mix in a jar

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

I always have canning jars around. At Christmas, I fill some with assorted Christmas colored candy; those star brite mints, gold and silver foil wrapped candies, etc.

There are many ways to use and reuse these food storage containers. This guide contains crafts using Mason jars.

mason jar vase

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Anyone have any creative ideas on how to use mason jars as centerpieces at my reception? They are blue perfect mason jars. I was thinking a bouquet with floralytes.

Jenny from Belle Plaine, MN

I had a French country/English garden themed wedding myself last June. I used the blue/aqua colored mason jars (hard to find sometimes - so the clear are pretty too). I used old watering cans filled with hydrangeas, calla lilies, peonies and ivory roses as the main centerpieces. I bought all different styles and different metals/material of old watering cans. Some were new so I had to "age" them and then I put the mason jars around the water cans with votives in them. White votives looked the best!

Also - for my ring bearer and flower girl, I did not buy a traditional basket and pillow. Instead I used an old grapevine basket and tied calla lilies to the side with ivory tulle and for the ring bearer pillow I used an actual small throw pillow with an ivory and chocolate brown damask print and tied the same ivory tulle around it. (very cute touch!)

As wedding favors I used mini terra cotta pots, tied with ivory tulle and planted different annual flowers in them with "thank you" tags and gave those to each guest. My bridesmaids wore very pretty/delicate sun dresses in different shades of ivory, chocolate brown and robins egg blue.

Congrats and Good Luck!

I used mason jars at my wedding with whatever flowers I could get my hands on. They were just the clear straight sided ones and I tied a copper ribbon on each one. I thought they were beautiful.

I need some ideas for old jelly jars.

By Pam

http://www.momt  -jars-in-rainbow

This is how to tint jars and glass.

You could put some homemade bath salts, milk bath or bath fizzies or bath bombs in them & give as a gift. Or make a piggy bank out of it & put the name of whatever you are saving for on it.

Example: expensive dinner out or craft fund or new shoes & just drop loose change in it. Also make candles in them or put hot cocoa mix w/marshmallows inside.The possibilities are endless! Good luck with whatever you choose & keep on crafting! : D

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
Redneck wine glass made out of candle holder and Mason jar ( with E-6000 glue).

Photo Location
This was from my friend for Christmas, I love them. You don't put them in the washer though, you hand wash them. They have to be sanded on the bottom before they are glued together. It is a small Mason jar.

Comment Like this photo? 1