ContainersCrochet

Crochet Chain Covered Box

I saw a video once about a gal who covered a box with a cord or rope. It looked pretty, but my budget is pretty tight. So I came up with something I often do to decorate things when I want to revamp my home.

Yarn bombing is cute, but I took it up a notch. I crocheted a chain and made the box covering with that.

Total Time: 2-4 Hours

Yield: 1

Source: I think I have seen this on Pinterest.

1. Make a chain. Now this sounds simple, but if you make one long one, it will twist on you when you are trying to keep each row straight up and drive you crazy.
  2. I did this and it did. So, I would make a chain big enough to wrap around your box 5-6 times and bind off. When you are planning the step where you glue on your chains, you can plan to join the next chain in the back. I ended up cutting the chain so it could "untwirl". Epic fail but fixable.
  3. Ad

4. Now choose a good box. I had done a box already today and found that not turning the box inside out was a mistake. You could see some of the print. Also, just gluing up to the top of a cut box meant I had to make an "edging" for it. I will show you a photo so you can see my mistakes and not make them yourself.
  5. With some scrap booking paper, I made some folds and cut them perfectly to the lengths of the sides, place and taped them to the box. This kept the box top pretty to anyone looking inside.
  6. Ad

7. So, keep your rows as straight as you can begin to glue. The lines need to be pretty close to the former one so you don't get the little gaps I did. Even if there is no print to see, you don't want to show the box color either.
  8. When you get the chains glued on, embellish with whatever buttons you want. I also added two "faux" handles by chaining 16 and leaving on a beginning and ending tail long enough for a darning needle to insert into the box and tie/glue to the inside.
  9. Ad

10. Here's the one I did earlier today. It's cute but I learned how "not" to do again!!

When I make these again, I will make the chain then go back along the chain with a slip stitch. It makes a bulkier "cord" and the box doesn't show through as much. Live and learn!!