Crochet Chain Woven Basket

Category Ideas
Pretty up a plain plastic basket by making a crochet chain and weaving it through the openings. This page explains how to make a crochet chain woven basket.

I embellished a simple thrift store basket with just yarn and a hook. It's the only one of its kind and yours can be too.

Total Time: 6 hours or more

Yield: 1

• 1 thrift store carryall basket ($1.25)
  • 1 size N Hook ($0.00)
  • 1-2 lb yarn of your choice ($1.00)
  • 1 tsp glue ($.05)

1. With your hook, cast on the yarn and start a chain. Now I crocheted enough to go around and around about 1/2 way up then had to extend the chain some more.
  2. Advertisement

3. Had I counted the rows and what stitches I would need for each row, it would have been better.
  4. Also, when you do this, you may want to make a chain for each row and tie or glue it to itself in the back (inside). It doesn't make weaving inside and out any easier, but it does avoid the "ending one row then starting another on the next row up" problem. I had to get really creative to make sure there was not a little gap from one row to the other. So learn from my mistakes.
  5. I used a very sturdy yarn, "frogged" from a muffler I bought. Your yarn will be pulled through MANY holes and some might have sharper edges than others, so pick a yarn that is durable. I had a couple little breaks in my basket, so I had to get creative with a frosting lid the same color, and some blue tape. Chances are you won't have to patch anything, but if you do, use hot glue. Sadly I didn't have one so I had to improvise!
  6. Advertisement

7. You could even thread thick/bulky yarn through uncrocheted, that makes a lovely affect, too.
  8. When you are done, tie or hot glue the end inside. You can leave the handles alone like I did or wrap them with the yarn chain/unchained too.
  9. With so many stores and states now discontinuing plastic bags, this makes a nice alternative to that quick shopping trip. I also used it on my way to another state for toiletries, packages, and now that I am home, it will be for a crochet project or two.

N-JOY!!

Crafts Crochet IdeasAugust 5, 2019
🐛
📓
😎
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Crochet-Chain-Woven-Basket-1.html