How to Crochet a Chain Stitch

Category Crochet
Crochet a Chain Stitch
The basic stitch in crochet is the chain stitch. From there you can go on to create many beautiful and useful items. This is a guide about how to crochet a chain stitch.

This is about crocheting a loose and easily decorated chain stitch: If you have trouble making your beginning chain loose and stretchy enough, switch to a hook at least one up to three sizes larger than the hook you need for your pattern. This will make your chaining row looser, and when you start with the correct hook, you will have no choice, but to follow the looseness of the beginning chain.

Also in starting the second row of your crocheting pattern (mostly for items such as afghans or scarves that will get a decorative edge), turn and crochet into the back loop of the stitch, that way the top and bottom edge of the crocheted project will be exactly the same, with the top of the stitch as the edge to add decoration to.

Source: teaching crochet

By AnniesArtifacting from Reading, PA

Thank you! I am learning to crochet and I am having problems. My mom tried to help me but she is left handed and I am right handed. I think this will help me.