Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Dachshund Breed Information and Photos

Breed Description:
  • Dachshunds come in two sizes, standard and miniature, and three types of coats: smooth-haired, longhaired, and wirehaired.

• The breed is easily distinguished by its low, long muscular body and disproportionately stubby legs-perfect for moving about in the tunnel or den of a badger.
  • Despite their lapdog status, this breed has stamina and agility and displays great courage.

Group: Hound group

Purpose of Breed: Hunting badgers

Country of Origin: Germany

Average Size: Standard Dachshunds are 8 inches and weigh 16-32 pounds. Miniature Dachshunds are 6 inches and usually weigh under 11 pounds.

Color(s): Dachshunds can be any color, except white.

Coat Type: Standard and Miniature Dachshunds have three coat types. The smooth- haired coat is short and shiny, the longhaired coat is of medium length and slightly wavy, and the wirehaired coat is thick and hard.

Grooming: The longhaired and wirehaired coat varieties require more grooming. In general, Dachshunds are medium shedders, have very little dog odor, and need less bathing than most other small breeds. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: Dachshunds do well in apartments as long as they get a moderate amount of daily exercise to prevent obesity. They are naturally suspicious and tend to bark at strangers.

Temperament:

• Dachshund's are lively little dogs with an independent nature and playful spirit.
  • They tend to bond deeply with one person, and although they love to play, they often do so by their own sets of rules.
  • This breed is highly intelligent, but their independent nature can make them a bit mischievous and difficult to train.
  • Still, they are loyal and affectionate and make wonderful companions.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to genetic eye disease, disc and skin problems and obesity.

Life Expectancy: Can be long-lived, up to 16 years.

Trivia: Dachshund's were originally bred for hunting badgers. Translated from German, the name means Dachs (badgers), hund (dog).

Read More or Comment...

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

July 10, 2012 Flag

Hippie is now a 3 year old Mini Wire Hair Dachshund. Hippie is a registered Doxie from Stone Valley Breeders and I got him for a gift and addition to our family for my husband 3 years ago. Hippie enjoys all activities: racing, car shows, riding the 4 X 4 buggy in the woods (which he considers his), and playing in the water. He loves everyone and especially his daddy and mama. Hippie is the absolute most precious little guy ever! We love all animals and of course all the ones that are or have been in our lives, but Hippie is just an exception and he knows it. (haha) He brings us such joy and entertainment.

For a look at Hippie two years ago click here: Hippie

By Dawnie from Cumming, GA

Hippie on a float board in the pool.

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

So darn cute!:)

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Your Pet's Age
5

Your Pet's Breed
Full blooded Standard Dachshund

How and when did you get your pet?
He was rescued from Animal Control, August 16,2015.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Now he plays with his toys, chews on his bone, lays in my lap!

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Sabby was very sick when I got him. Besides being heart worm positive, he had a severe left ear infection. Come to find out, both ears are identically deformed, very rare. He had to have his left ear canal and ear drum removed due to infection. Before he didn't play with toys, now heart worm negative and his ear all healed, he is a normal dog! He has partial hearing in his right ear. He is a wonderful dog, laid back, sweet, and loyal. He is also beautiful.

Comment Like this photo? 4

I put a very special VOTE in for "Jon Sabastian Holcomb Hall-Sabby..one very handsome young man...

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

June 4, 2005 Flag

This is my baby Sasha. Isn't she the cutest thing you have ever seen? I had to share her pictures. She's an 8 week old mini-dachshund! Cute huh!?

Thanks,

Darci from San Antonio, TX

Sasha (Mini Dachshund)

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

So adorable!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Gus with a computer painted necklace

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Gus loves to play with his "brother", Charlie (a rescued Lab mix), and will do anything for a cookie! One of our favorite games is "blanket attack", where Gus hides under a blanket and tries to attack whatever touches him. It's hilarious to watch when he decides to play that by himself with his toy!

Simon (Standard Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 14

Simon is a 7 year old Standard Dachshund and Buster is a 5 year old Mini Black and Tan Dachshund. We got Simon from a city breeder and Buster from a country breeder. Each one has a definite city dog/country dog personality.

Dude (Miniature Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 10

I got him in mid-November 2015 from "All About Puppies" in Largo, Florida. He likes to meet new people (especially the ladies), cuddle, and chew on his rawhide bone!

long haired Dachshund

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

I always wanted a sapphire ring when it came time to take early retirement from my job. When I went to the jewelry store to purchase one, I decided I'd rather spend the money on another Dachshund (puppy) and I would call her Sapphire!

black and tan Dachshund

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

We adopted him 3 years ago.

dachshund

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 16

Berkley is a 9 year old Minature Dapple Dachshund. Berkley was a gift to my daughter from a friend while in college. Between college and work, there was little time left for Berkley.

Angel (Mini Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 13

Angel is 22 months old. Angel is a black and gold, long haired, female, mini Dachshund.In July of 2009 when I was pining for a new baby, since the loss of our beloved "Josie", same as Angel but a black and tan.

Comment Like this photo? 7

Maggie May is almost 3 years old. She is a Dachshund mix (weenie dog). We got her on New Year's Eve 2006. We got Maggie May from a friend who I grew up with since 1st grade. He passed away about 6 months later.

Hippie (Miniature Wirehaired Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 14

Hippie is almost 2. He is a Miniature Wirehaired Dachshund. I met a very nice lady while antiquing that breeds the Dachshunds. He loves to stay in the shop and work on cars with his Dad.

A brown mini dachshund on a cream colored carpet.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

Pebbles is a 4 year old Mini-dachshund. I got her and her brother BamBam on Craigslist last October. She is totally fascinated with the squirrels. In addition to chasing them all day, she loves to dig up the pecans they hide, and eats them!

Mini Dachshund

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 10

BoBBle-Head Lou is a 9 year old Mini Dachshund. He was one of 8 babies my pair of Doxies had. He was so tiny he was literally the size of my thumb and I had to bottle feed him from day 1.

Hippie with his Santa hat.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

He has been a part of our family since he was 12 weeks old.

Dog snuggling under blanket.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 15

Tubby Butt is a 2 year old Miniature Dachshund. I got her last year. She was in a puppy mill and I rescued her. She was skinny and hairless and had her leg broken. Now she is the happiest doggie ever. I love her more than life itself.

Mini Dachshund

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

We found her in the shelter in Fresno about two years ago and fell in love with her right away. She was the only dog in there that was sleeping in the middle of the day!

Bandit

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

We got him on May 5, 2016. Runs around the house like a maniac with one of his squeaky toys.

Linda (Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

Linda is a 3 year old Dachshund. One day, in a store, we saw a sign saying they sold puppies and a week later we bought her. She likes to pose for photos and scare away birds from our garden.

Dog sitting up on haunches.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

Baron von Frank Fruiter, is a four year old Miniature Dachshunc. Frankie is from a litter of my other Dachshund, Priscilla. Frankie likes to chase cats and chew the squeakers out of his mother's toy, because he can't stand the noise they make.

Hippie (Mini Wirehaired Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

Hippie is 4 years old and a mini Wirehaired Dachshund. I picked Hippie as a gift for my husband from a wonderful family from Stone Valley.

BitBit (Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

BitBit is 2 years old and a Dachshund. We got her on Valentine's Day, my dad and my little brother went to chose one. When I saw her, I knew she was the one. I had wanted a dog for a long time.

A brown dachshund on a cream colored couch

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 13

BamBam is a 5 year old Dachshund. I got both him and his sister Pebbles on Craigslist last October. They went from being crated day and night, to having a doggie door and free run of the yard.

Two Dachshunds on couch.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

Molly and Oliver are Dachshunds! They are best friends. They play together all the time. They are so funny together! They act just alike.

Load More
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds DachshundAugust 17, 2012
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
A Dachshund Chihuahua mix dog sitting on a deck.
Do Mixed Breed Dachshunds Have Stronger Backs?
Credit Report
Providing Information to a Credit Bureau
Two different breeds of dachshunds
Differences Between Standard and Miniature Dachshunds
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 29, 2017 at 5:12:25 AM on 10.0.1.45 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.