Dachshund Breed Information and Photos

Despite their small stature, Dachshund are courageous dogs with lots of stamina. This is a guide about Dachshunds! It contains breed information and photos.

April 3, 2006 Flag
Breed Description: Dachshunds come in two sizes, standard and miniature, and three types of coats: smooth-haired, longhaired, and wirehaired. The breed is easily distinguished by its low, long muscular body and disproportionately stubby legs-perfect for moving about in the tunnel or den of a badger. Despite their lapdog status, this breed has stamina and agility and displays great courage.

Group: Hound group

Purpose of Breed: Hunting badgers

Country of Origin: Germany

Average Size: Standard Dachshunds are 8 inches and weigh 16-32 pounds. Miniature Dachshunds are 6 inches and usually weigh under 11 pounds.

Color(s): Dachshunds can be any color, except white.

Coat Type: Standard and Miniature Dachshunds have three coat types. The smooth- haired coat is short and shiny, the longhaired coat is of medium length and slightly wavy, and the wirehaired coat is thick and hard.

Grooming: The longhaired and wirehaired coat varieties require more grooming. In general, Dachshunds are medium shedders, have very little dog odor, and need less bathing than most other small breeds. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: Dachshunds do well in apartments as long as they get a moderate amount of daily exercise to prevent obesity. They are naturally suspicious and tend to bark at strangers.

Temperament: Dachshund's are lively little dogs with an independent nature and playful spirit. They tend to bond deeply with one person, and although they love to play, they often do so by their own sets of rules. This breed is highly intelligent, but their independent nature can make them a bit mischievous and difficult to train. Still, they are loyal and affectionate and make wonderful companions.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to genetic eye disease, disc and skin problems and obesity.

Life Expectancy: Can be long-lived, up to 16 years.

Trivia: Dachshund's were originally bred for hunting badgers. Translated from German, the name means Dachs (badgers), hund (dog).

More Information: Dachshund Club of America, Inc.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

(submitted via email)

I happen to have an AKC registered Piebald dachshund, named Franklin, that is very white. They are rare but they are out there. I also have a blue dapple and a silver wire hair. Love my weenie dogs. I've had at least one for the past 41 years.

By D.E.w. from Shreveport, LA

August 23, 2016 Flag

Your Pet's Age
5

Your Pet's Breed
Full blooded Standard Dachshund

How and when did you get your pet?
He was rescued from Animal Control, August 16,2015.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Now he plays with his toys, chews on his bone, lays in my lap!

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Sabby was very sick when I got him. Besides being heart worm positive, he had a severe left ear infection. Come to find out, both ears are identically deformed, very rare. He had to have his left ear canal and ear drum removed due to infection. Before he didn't play with toys, now heart worm negative and his ear all healed, he is a normal dog! He has partial hearing in his right ear. He is a wonderful dog, laid back, sweet, and loyal. He is also beautiful.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I put a very special VOTE in for "Jon Sabastian Holcomb Hall-Sabby..one very handsome young man...

Thank you !! Woof, Woof says Sabby

Read More Comments...

September 27, 2016 Flag

Your Pet's Age
2

Your Pet's Breed
Mini Dachshund

How and when did you get your pet?
I got Gus from a breeder in October of 2014.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Gus loves to play with his "brother", Charlie (a rescued Lab mix), and will do anything for a cookie! One of our favorite games is "blanket attack", where Gus hides under a blanket and tries to attack whatever touches him. It's hilarious to watch when he decides to play that by himself with his toy!

Gus and Charlie are absolute bundles of pure joy, and I am so lucky to call them my furbabies! :)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a couple of adorable dogs! They look very happy.

Thank you! They are VERY spoiled, and know it!

Read More Comments...

July 10, 2012 Flag

Hippie is now a 3 year old Mini Wire Hair Dachshund. Hippie is a registered Doxie from Stone Valley Breeders and I got him for a gift and addition to our family for my husband 3 years ago. Hippie enjoys all activities: racing, car shows, riding the 4 X 4 buggy in the woods (which he considers his), and playing in the water. He loves everyone and especially his daddy and mama. Hippie is the absolute most precious little guy ever! We love all animals and of course all the ones that are or have been in our lives, but Hippie is just an exception and he knows it. haha . He brings us such joy and entertainment.

Hippie on a float board in the pool.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 4, 2005 Flag

This is my baby Sasha. Isn't she the cutest thing you have ever seen? I had to share her pictures. She's an 8 week old mini-dachshund! Cute huh!?

Sasha (Mini Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 25, 2010 Flag

Simon is a 7 year old Standard Dachshund and Buster is a 5 year old Mini Black and Tan Dachshund. We got Simon from a city breeder and Buster from a country breeder. Each one has a definite city dog/country dog personality.

Simon (Standard Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 8, 2016 Flag

I got him in mid-November 2015 from "All About Puppies" in Largo, Florida. He likes to meet new people (especially the ladies), cuddle, and chew on his rawhide bone!

Dude (Miniature Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 7, 2015 Flag

We adopted him 3 years ago.

black and tan Dachshund

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 14, 2015 Flag

I always wanted a sapphire ring when it came time to take early retirement from my job. When I went to the jewelry store to purchase one, I decided I'd rather spend the money on another Dachshund (puppy) and I would call her Sapphire!

long haired Dachshund

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 12, 2010 Flag

Berkley is a 9 year old Minature Dapple Dachshund. Berkley was a gift to my daughter from a friend while in college. Between college and work, there was little time left for Berkley.

dachshund

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 23, 2011 Flag

Angel is 22 months old. Angel is a black and gold, long haired, female, mini Dachshund.In July of 2009 when I was pining for a new baby, since the loss of our beloved "Josie", same as Angel but a black and tan.

Angel (Mini Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 14, 2013 Flag

We found her in the shelter in Fresno about two years ago and fell in love with her right away. She was the only dog in there that was sleeping in the middle of the day!

Mini Dachshund

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 23, 2011 Flag

Pebbles is a 4 year old Mini-dachshund. I got her and her brother BamBam on Craigslist last October. She is totally fascinated with the squirrels. In addition to chasing them all day, she loves to dig up the pecans they hide, and eats them!

A brown mini dachshund on a cream colored carpet.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 14, 2010 Flag

BoBBle-Head Lou is a 9 year old Mini Dachshund. He was one of 8 babies my pair of Doxies had. He was so tiny he was literally the size of my thumb and I had to bottle feed him from day 1.

Mini Dachshund

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 24, 2010 Flag

Hippie is almost 2. He is a Miniature Wirehaired Dachshund. I met a very nice lady while antiquing that breeds the Dachshunds. He loves to stay in the shop and work on cars with his Dad.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 22, 2010 Flag

Tubby Butt is a 2 year old Miniature Dachshund. I got her last year. She was in a puppy mill and I rescued her. She was skinny and hairless and had her leg broken. Now she is the happiest doggie ever. I love her more than life itself.

Dog snuggling under blanket.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 1, 2013 Flag

He has been a part of our family since he was 12 weeks old.

Hippie with his Santa hat.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 5, 2012 Flag

Baron von Frank Fruiter, is a four year old Miniature Dachshunc. Frankie is from a litter of my other Dachshund, Priscilla. Frankie likes to chase cats and chew the squeakers out of his mother's toy, because he can't stand the noise they make.

Dog sitting up on haunches.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 23, 2010 Flag

Linda is a 3 year old Dachshund. One day, in a store, we saw a sign saying they sold puppies and a week later we bought her. She likes to pose for photos and scare away birds from our garden.

Linda (Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 8, 2016 Flag

We got him on May 5, 2016. Runs around the house like a maniac with one of his squeaky toys.

Bandit

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 27, 2012 Flag

Hippie is 4 years old and a mini Wirehaired Dachshund. I picked Hippie as a gift for my husband from a wonderful family from Stone Valley.

Hippie (Mini Wirehaired Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds DachshundAugust 17, 2012
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
old photo
Determining the Value of Historic Photos
Credit Report
Providing Information to a Credit Bureau
Family Taking Digital Photos
Transferring Digital Photos to Your Computer
🎉
🎄