Dachshund Breed Information and Photos

Despite their small stature, Dachshund are courageous dogs with lots of stamina. This is a guide about Dachshunds! It contains breed information and photos.

Photo of a Mini Dachshund by the water.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Dachshund Breed InformationBreed Description: Dachshunds come in two sizes, standard and miniature, and three types of coats: smooth-haired, longhaired, and wirehaired. The breed is easily distinguished by its low, long muscular body and disproportionately stubby legs-perfect for moving about in the tunnel or den of a badger. Despite their lapdog status, this breed has stamina and agility and displays great courage.

Group: Hound group

Purpose of Breed: Hunting badgers

Country of Origin: Germany

Average Size: Standard Dachshunds are 8 inches and weigh 16-32 pounds. Miniature Dachshunds are 6 inches and usually weigh under 11 pounds.

Color(s): Dachshunds can be any color, except white.

Coat Type: Standard and Miniature Dachshunds have three coat types. The smooth- haired coat is short and shiny, the longhaired coat is of medium length and slightly wavy, and the wirehaired coat is thick and hard.

Grooming: The longhaired and wirehaired coat varieties require more grooming. In general, Dachshunds are medium shedders, have very little dog odor, and need less bathing than most other small breeds. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: Dachshunds do well in apartments as long as they get a moderate amount of daily exercise to prevent obesity. They are naturally suspicious and tend to bark at strangers.

Temperament: Dachshund's are lively little dogs with an independent nature and playful spirit. They tend to bond deeply with one person, and although they love to play, they often do so by their own sets of rules. This breed is highly intelligent, but their independent nature can make them a bit mischievous and difficult to train. Still, they are loyal and affectionate and make wonderful companions.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to genetic eye disease, disc and skin problems and obesity.

Life Expectancy: Can be long-lived, up to 16 years.

Trivia: Dachshund's were originally bred for hunting badgers. Translated from German, the name means Dachs (badgers), hund (dog).

More Information: Dachshund Club of America, Inc.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hippie is now a 3 year old Mini Wire Hair Dachshund. Hippie is a registered Doxie from Stone Valley Breeders and I got him for a gift and addition to our family for my husband 3 years ago. Hippie enjoys all activities: racing, car shows, riding the 4 X 4 buggy in the woods (which he considers his), and playing in the water. He loves everyone and especially his daddy and mama. Hippie is the absolute most precious little guy ever! We love all animals and of course all the ones that are or have been in our lives, but Hippie is just an exception and he knows it. (haha) He brings us such joy and entertainment.

For a look at Hippie two years ago click here: Hippie

By Dawnie from Cumming, GA

Hippie on a float board in the pool.

Bandit

Your Pet's Age
5 months

Your Pet's Breed
Long Haired Dachshund

How and when did you get your pet?
We got him on May 5, 2016.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Runs around the house like a maniac with one of his squeaky toys.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
He is very lovable, he is the perfect companion. We love him dearly.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dude (Miniature Dachshund)

Your Pet's Age
5 months

Your Pet's Breed
Miniature Dachshund

How and when did you get your pet?
I got him in mid-November 2015 from "All About Puppies" in Largo, Florida.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Meet new people (especially the ladies), cuddle, and chew on his rawhide bone!

Dude (Miniature Dachshund)Dude (Miniature Dachshund)

I always wanted a sapphire ring when it came time to take early retirement from my job. When I went to the jewelry store to purchase one, I decided I'd rather spend the money on another Dachshund (puppy) and I would call her Sapphire!

long haired Dachshund

This is my baby Sasha. Isn't she the cutest thing you have ever seen? I had to share her pictures. She's an 8 week old mini-dachshund! Cute huh!?

Sasha (Mini Dachshund)

We adopted him 3 years ago.

black and tan Dachshund

Simon is a 7 year old Standard Dachshund and Buster is a 5 year old Mini Black and Tan Dachshund. We got Simon from a city breeder and Buster from a country breeder. Each one has a definite city dog/country dog personality.

Simon (Standard Dachshund)

Berkley is a 9 year old Minature Dapple Dachshund. Berkley was a gift to my daughter from a friend while in college. Between college and work, there was little time left for Berkley.

dachshund

We found her in the shelter in Fresno about two years ago and fell in love with her right away. She was the only dog in there that was sleeping in the middle of the day!

Mini Dachshund

Angel is 22 months old. Angel is a black and gold, long haired, female, mini Dachshund.In July of 2009 when I was pining for a new baby, since the loss of our beloved "Josie", same as Angel but a black and tan.

Angel (Mini Dachshund)

Pebbles is a 4 year old Mini-dachshund. I got her and her brother BamBam on Craigslist last October. She is totally fascinated with the squirrels. In addition to chasing them all day, she loves to dig up the pecans they hide, and eats them!

A brown mini dachshund on a cream colored carpet.

BoBBle-Head Lou is a 9 year old Mini Dachshund. He was one of 8 babies my pair of Doxies had. He was so tiny he was literally the size of my thumb and I had to bottle feed him from day 1.

Mini Dachshund

Hippie is almost 2. He is a Miniature Wirehaired Dachshund. I met a very nice lady while antiquing that breeds the Dachshunds. He loves to stay in the shop and work on cars with his Dad.

He has been a part of our family since he was 12 weeks old.

Hippie with his Santa hat.

Tubby Butt is a 2 year old Miniature Dachshund. I got her last year. She was in a puppy mill and I rescued her. She was skinny and hairless and had her leg broken. Now she is the happiest doggie ever. I love her more than life itself.

Dog snuggling under blanket.

Baron von Frank Fruiter, is a four year old Miniature Dachshunc. Frankie is from a litter of my other Dachshund, Priscilla. Frankie likes to chase cats and chew the squeakers out of his mother's toy, because he can't stand the noise they make.

Dog sitting up on haunches.

Linda is a 3 year old Dachshund. One day, in a store, we saw a sign saying they sold puppies and a week later we bought her. She likes to pose for photos and scare away birds from our garden.

Linda (Dachshund)

Hippie is 4 years old and a mini Wirehaired Dachshund. I picked Hippie as a gift for my husband from a wonderful family from Stone Valley.

Hippie (Mini Wirehaired Dachshund)

Mr. Wiggles is an 8 week old Mini Dachshund. He is one of Miss Penelope's little babies. There are 4 all together.

Mini Dachshund in red and green elf hat.

Lester is a 3 years young short haired dachshund. I drove over 300 miles to pick up Lester when he was 6 weeks old. Lester loves his tennis balls and he will play with one for hours when it's stuffed in an old sock.

Lester (Dachshund)

BamBam is a 5 year old Dachshund. I got both him and his sister Pebbles on Craigslist last October. They went from being crated day and night, to having a doggie door and free run of the yard.

A brown dachshund on a cream colored couch

Molly and Oliver are Dachshunds! They are best friends. They play together all the time. They are so funny together! They act just alike.

Two Dachshunds on couch.

Buddy is a 7 years old Miniature Dachshund. His birthday is March 7. We got him from a breeder at 8 weeks old. I traveled 300 miles to get him and he's been worth each and every mile, and then some!

Buddy (Miniature Dachshund)

My best friend's family gave her to me as a birthday gift 8-11-15. I moved out to Illinois to live with them all by myself with no family and they thought she would help me with my depression, and she does. She's my world.

long hair miniature Dachshund

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Kasha was 14 years old and a Dachshund (deceased 03-26-08). He was rescued from a Humane Society Shelter after being in 2 previous homes.

Kasha (Dachshund)

Load More
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds DachshundAugust 17, 2012
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
old photo
Determining the Value of Historic Photos
Credit Report
Providing Information to a Credit Bureau
Family Taking Digital Photos
Transferring Digital Photos to Your Computer
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 22, 2016 at 8:04:40 AM on 10.0.1.241 in 743 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.