Dachshund Breed Information and Photos

Despite their small stature, Dachshund are courageous dogs with lots of stamina. This is a guide about Dachshunds! It contains breed information and photos.

Photo of a Mini Dachshund by the water.
Filter Sort

Sasha (Mini Dachshund)

This is my baby Sasha. Isn't she the cutest thing you have ever seen? I had to share her pictures. She's an 8 week old mini-dachshund! Cute huh!?

Thanks,

Darci from San Antonio, TX

Sasha (Mini Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Hippie (Mini Wire Hair Dachshund)

By Dawnie 4 1

Hippie is now a 3 year old Mini Wire Hair Dachshund. Hippie is a registered Doxie from Stone Valley Breeders and I got him for a gift and addition to our family for my husband 3 years ago. Hippie enjoys all activities: racing, car shows, riding the 4 X 4 buggy in the woods (which he considers his), and playing in the water. He loves everyone and especially his daddy and mama. Hippie is the absolute most precious little guy ever! We love all animals and of course all the ones that are or have been in our lives, but Hippie is just an exception and he knows it. (haha) He brings us such joy and entertainment.

For a look at Hippie two years ago click here: Hippie

By Dawnie from Cumming, GA

Hippie on a float board in the pool.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Dude (Miniature Dachshund)

By Brandon R. 2

Dude (Miniature Dachshund)

Your Pet's Age
5 months

Your Pet's Breed
Miniature Dachshund

How and when did you get your pet?
I got him in mid-November 2015 from "All About Puppies" in Largo, Florida.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Meet new people (especially the ladies), cuddle, and chew on his rawhide bone!

Dude (Miniature Dachshund)Dude (Miniature Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Simon (Standard Dachshund)

By Roberta Mason 1 5

This is Simon (red) and Buster (black and tan). Simon is a 7 year old Standard Dachshund and Buster is a 5 year old Mini Black and Tan Dachshund. We got Simon from a city breeder and Buster from a country breeder. Each one has a definite city dog/country dog personality.

Simon likes to play tug and cuddle under the blankets and Buster likes to play ball and tear his toys apart. They are true best friends. I call the picture "The Ying and Yang of Dachshunds."

By Robin from Aurora, CO

Simon (Standard Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Berkley (Minature Dapple Dachshund)

By nini 1 2

Berkley is a 9 year old Minature Dapple Dachshund. Berkley was a gift to my daughter from a friend while in college. Between college and work, there was little time left for Berkley. So during Spring Break, Berkley came to stay two weeks so mom could go for a break herself. Two weeks turned into 9 years and he's still here and will stay here!

He loves to eat! He also likes riding around town with the window down and the wind blowing his ears back and laying out in the front yard sunning in the summer. Berkley is my world! He loves to give kisses and lick the lipstick off his aunt DiDi.

He likes rolling around in the dry grass scratching and then looking like a scarecrow with dry grass sticking to him all over even in his 1 cm eyelashes! He loves chasing squirrels and cats, knowing he will not know what to do with them if he were to catch them.

By Nini from Sweetwater, TX

dachshund

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Angel (Mini Dachshund)

By Mrs. McBaileybear 1 2

Angel is 22 months old. Angel is a black and gold, long haired, female, mini Dachshund. In July of 2009, I was pining for a new baby after the loss (about 3-4 years prior) of our beloved "Josie", same as Angel but a black and tan and I started doing a search. We ended up searching online, and we saw her photo! Angel was born into our lives upon arrival at the airport on 07/31/2009 midnight.

She was, and still is, beautiful! She steals anything not nailed down and runs under the bed with it. It's a game to her because she likes to have you try and coax her out with treats. She also loves playing on the floor with her Daddy and running around the yard with him. She loves watching Animal Planet, and getting her picture taken.

Angel especially loves Christmas! When she sees her stocking going up on the mantle, she gets so excited. Then on Christmas eve, she sits there and stares at it. About 4-5 am Christmas day, she starts waking us up. First things 1st - that stocking!

By Geri H.

Angel (Mini Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Hippie (Miniature Wirehaired Dachshund)

By Dawnie 4 1

Hippie is almost 2. He is a Miniature Wirehaired Dachshund. I met a very nice lady while antiquing that breeds the Dachshunds. He loves to stay in the shop and work on cars with his Dad. He loves to get in the tool drawers and play with the tires. He gets so excited to hear the Hot Rods crank and loves to go for rides in them!

He has brought so much joy into our lives. My husband recently had open heart surgery. When I brought him home from the hospital, Hippie has been right by his side and very protective of his Daddy. He makes every step with him. So I would dare to say he has become his little nurse.

By Dawnie

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tubby (Miniature Dachshund)

By Kathy 1

Tubby Butt is a 2 year old Miniature Dachshund. I got her last year. She was in a puppy mill and I rescued her. She was skinny and hairless and had her leg broken. Now she is the happiest doggie ever. I love her more than life itself.

She likes to play with my other doggie and eat everything and run and jump and just anything is fun for her and with her.

I am so glad I adopted her and she has the best home ever.

By Kathy from Valley Falls, KS

Dog snuggling under blanket.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

In Memory of Kasha (Dachshund)

By Nan Corpe 7 290

Kasha was 14 years old and a Dachshund (deceased 03-26-08). He was rescued from a Humane Society Shelter after being in 2 previous homes.

Kasha loved to chase lizards in the yard and go for walks.

Thank you, Little Guy, for 14 happy and loyal years. You were a sweet little joy and fierce protector.

Cocoa Beach, FL

Kasha (Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

BamBam (Dachshund)

By Amanda Carroll 13 27

BamBam is a 5 year old Dachshund. I got both him and his sister Pebbles on Craigslist last October. They went from being crated day and night, to having a doggie door and free run of the yard.

A brown dachshund on a cream colored couch

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Linda (Dachshund)

By silvia gomez 3

Linda is a 3 year old Dachshund. One day, in a store, we saw a sign saying they sold puppies and a week later we bought her. She likes to pose for photos and scare away birds from our garden.

Linda (Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Bobble-Head Lou (Mini Dachshund)

By Randi 9 8

BoBBle-Head Lou is a 9 year old Mini Dachshund. He was one of 8 babies my pair of Doxies had. He was so tiny he was literally the size of my thumb and I had to bottle feed him from day 1.

Mini Dachshund

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Princess (Standard Dachshund)

By Cricket 205 895

Princess is a 10 years old Standard Dachshund. Her birthday will be April 1. I got her on Mother's Day, 2000 from a breeder we she was 8 weeks old. She's been the best Mother's Day present I've ever gotten. Princess is a very fun loving dog, even at the ripe old age of 10.

Princess (Standard Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Pebbles (Mini-Dachshund)

By Amanda Carroll 13 27

Pebbles is a 4 year old Mini-dachshund. I got her and her brother BamBam on Craigslist last October. She is totally fascinated with the squirrels. In addition to chasing them all day, she loves to dig up the pecans they hide, and eats them!

A brown mini dachshund on a cream colored carpet.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Hippie (Mini Wirehair Dachshund)

By Dawnie 4 1

He has been a part of our family since he was 12 weeks old.

Hippie with his Santa hat.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Snickers (Dachshund)

By Vickie Bice J. 1

I always wanted a sapphire ring when it came time to take early retirement from my job. When I went to the jewelry store to purchase one, I decided I'd rather spend the money on another Dachshund (puppy) and I would call her Sapphire!

long haired Dachshund

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Marvin (Dachshund)

By Bernie 1 1

We adopted him 3 years ago.

black and tan Dachshund

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Lester (Dachshund)

By Betty 104 753

Lester is a 3 years young short haired dachshund. I drove over 300 miles to pick up Lester when he was 6 weeks old. Lester loves his tennis balls and he will play with one for hours when it's stuffed in an old sock.

Lester (Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Maggie Pie (Mini Weenie)

By geminikitty 1

We found her in the shelter in Fresno about two years ago and fell in love with her right away. She was the only dog in there that was sleeping in the middle of the day!

Mini Dachshund

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Hippie (Mini Wirehaired Dachshund)

By Dawnie 4 1

Hippie is 4 years old and a mini Wirehaired Dachshund. I picked Hippie as a gift for my husband from a wonderful family from Stone Valley.

Hippie (Mini Wirehaired Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Baron von Frank Fruiter (Miniature Dachshund)

By DAWGZ 1

Baron von Frank Fruiter, is a four year old Miniature Dachshunc. Frankie is from a litter of my other Dachshund, Priscilla. Frankie likes to chase cats and chew the squeakers out of his mother's toy, because he can't stand the noise they make.

Dog sitting up on haunches.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Molly (Dachshund)

By kim 1

Molly is 2.5 years old and a Dachshund. I was given Molly in Sept 2008 by her owner who was traveling a lot and wanted a good home for her.

Molly (Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Stanley (Long Hair Standard Dachshund)

Stanley is 8 years old and a Long Hair Standard Dachsund. I got Stanley through a friend who breeds and show them. He loves to sit and beg for food most of the time. He goes to work with me everyday, since I groom dogs for a living.

Standard Dachshund

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Molly and Oliver (Dachshunds)

By Sheena 1

Molly and Oliver are Dachshunds! They are best friends. They play together all the time. They are so funny together! They act just alike.

Two Dachshunds on couch.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Wiz and Ebony (Miniature Dachshunds)

dachshundsThese are my two babies, Wiz and Ebony. They are both small short haired miniature Dachshunds.

Wiz is the brown one on the bottom and he is slightly bigger. We rescued him when he was around 5 years old from a shelter. We think he was dropped off after having one long time owner (due to the severe separation anxiety he had when we got him). Other than the behavioral problems he had when we first got him, and eventually worked through, he is an absolute delight. When he sleeps, he burrows in his blankets and try to mummify himself LOL.

Ebony is the black Dachshund that likes to sit on him (her favorite seat in the house). She was rescued from Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue. They found her, along with 40 Pomeranians and 19 other Dachshunds in a puppy mill in a woman's backyard. By the time the animals were rescued, Ebony had already had as many litters as was possible by the age of 4 and was severely underweight. She had been raised in a very inhumane environment and still to this day, is a very frightened little dog (especially of loud noises and any strangers, even relatives). We thought she was mute when we first got her because she never made a sound (bark, whine, etc). Even if she is in pain, she will still remain silent. We soon learned that dogs rescued from puppy mills most often are mute due to the extreme conditions they lived and grew up in and also for the fact that they have learned making sounds will get them nothing, and in most cases punished.

2 years later now, Ebony is doing much better. Her change has been nothing short of a miracle. She will wag her tail (around us), skip and spin around, roll around on her back on the carpet and even bark! Yes, bark! Turned out that that little lady has quite a voice on her and she will bark incessantly at the neighbors if she sees them out. Many puppy mill dogs have their vocal cords cut out so that they will not bark. We are lucky that that did not happen to Ebony.

Thanks ThriftyFun for allowing us to share our pet stories.

By Pookie

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Mr. Wiggles (Mini Dachshund)

By Randi 9 8

Mr. Wiggles is an 8 week old Mini Dachshund. He is one of Miss Penelope's little babies. There are 4 all together.

Mini Dachshund in red and green elf hat.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Buddy (Miniature Dachshund)

By Cricket 205 895

Buddy is a 7 years old Miniature Dachshund. His birthday is March 7. We got him from a breeder at 8 weeks old. I traveled 300 miles to get him and he's been worth each and every mile, and then some!

Buddy (Miniature Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Doodle Bug (Miniature Dachshund)

By rene traylor-blackwell 12

Doodle Bug is an almost 2 year old Miniature Dachshund. My husband brought her home as an early Christmas gift for me in 2009. Doodle Bug loves to snuggle, she is a real lover.

Doodle Bug Running in the Grass

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Pixie (Mini Dachshund)

By Carol Fischer H. 1

Pixie is a 12 year old Mini Dachshund. My husband bought her at 8 weeks old. She plays with toys, and likes to go for ice cream.

Pixie (Mini Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Stella (Mini Dachshund)

Stella is a 4 year old Mini Dachshund. Stella thinks she is the neighborhood watch dog, she likes to sit at the window and bark at dogs bigger than her. She also likes electric blankets, fireplaces and space heaters because she is always cold!

Princess (Standard Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Missy Jo (Miniature Dachshund)

By Sherrie 1

Missy Jo is a 1 year old miniature Dachshund. We have the mother. She likes to play in the water.

Missy running.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Mikey (Dachshund)

By Dave 3 88

Mikey (Dachshund) Photo. Mikey is our 13 year old dachshund. We are fostering Mikey for the local animal shelter. He needed a home or he would be put down because he was too old and sickly to adopt or go to a rescue group.

Sleeping long haired black dog

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Lenard (Miniature Dachshund)

By Frances Adams 11 554

Lenard is a one and a half year old Miniature Dachshund. I got him January 2008, a gift for upcoming 'empty nest.' He likes to watch birds from his window seat, and play with his toy raccoons. He never meets a stranger, and loves everyone!

Lenard (Miniature Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Dolley (Dachshund)

By judy 19 4

dachshund in dress looking upDolley is a two year old Dachshund. I bought her when she was six weeks old. She loves to go for car rides and would you believe she likes us to put outfits on her. We give her lots of love.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Gilead (Dachshund)

By Fran Marie 2

Gilead (Dachshund). Gilead is 7 years old and is a Dachshund. Someone I know breeds Dachsies. Gilead was born without eyes and was going to be put down. I couldn't let that happen!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Mr. Whiskers (Wirehaired Dachshund)

By Judy Griffith W. 2

I rescued him from a pet shop. How anyone could have let this sweet, happy, lay on my back and rub my belly puppy go to a pet store is unbelievable.

Mr. Whiskers (Wirehaired Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Delphine Saying "Cheese" (Dachsund)

Doxie "Delphine" saying "CHEESE"!

Dog smiling for the camera.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Princess Sophie (Miniature Dachshund)

By Alissa M. 2

My best friend's family gave her to me as a birthday gift 8-11-15. I moved out to Illinois to live with them all by myself with no family and they thought she would help me with my depression, and she does. She's my world.

long hair miniature Dachshund

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Olive (Dachshund)

Olive is a 10 month old dachshund. We got her in Spring through the newspaper. My husband was chomping at the bit for months to get another dachshund.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Do Mixed Breed Dachshunds Have Stronger Backs?

By Sally 1 2

I just got a mixed breed dachshund. Since he mostly resembles a Dachshund I was wondering if his back would be stronger than a purebred dachshund?

By alleycat from OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr944825 Flag

No I have a mix breed she is part Dotson and Chiwawa with the Doston back and chiwaw face. I just took her to her Vet last week and she has been on pain pills and not herself. It hurts me to see her like that she is such a sweet dog. Vet said one day she may need back surgary. I highly suggest do not let your pet jump from beds and couch really hard to do because I love to cuddle with her but from here on out I will have to pick her up to be on the bed and put her down before she jumps! but try not to allow it on high things they always will jump down!

Good luck it really hurts to see them like that.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Shorty (Dachshund)

Shorty the DachshundShorty is a one and a half year old Dachshund. I bought her from a breeder when she was 6 weeks old.

She likes to play with toys, chase lizards and bugs in the yard, eat, and sleep

By Kaitlin from Sparta, TN

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Comet (Dachshund)

By sandy blevins 94 40

Comet is a 1 year old Dachshund. My dog had her a year ago. She likes to chase her tail and chase my kitty.

dachshund

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Sherlock and Watson (Mini Dachshunds)

By linda 203 1

Sherlock and Watson are 7 month old Mini Dachshunds. I got them in February. Sherlock is noisy has to check out everything. Only cuddles when he's in the mood.

Mini Dachshunds

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Alexis (Cairn Terrier/Dachshund)

By Robyn 376 753

I am babysitting this little beauty for a friend and her family. Alexis is a sweet, smart little girl who we are happy to have in our home. She gets along with all the animals except for the ferret, Tinker.

Alexis and kitty on bed.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: What are the Differences Between Standard and Miniature Dachshunds?

By Jim 1

What are the differences between standard and mini Dachshunds other than size?

By Jim

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Nikki 6 Flag

AKC will say there are only two sizes of dachshunds; a mini which must be under 10 lbs and a full sized which can be up to 32 lbs. I personally own a 12 lbs dachshund and I as well as most people call them tweenies because they are too heavy to be miniatures but not quite full dachshund size. But appearance wise if breed properly they should look exactly alike. Full size ones chest seem larger but that is only due to size comparisons.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Misty (Mini Dachshund)

By JoAnn Chitwood 4 5

Misty is a one year old mini dachshund. I bought Misty from a breeder in Alabama, and highly recommend her, in May of last year.

Misty (Mini Dachshund)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Baron (Dachshund)

By Betty Andrejczak 3 24

Baron (Dachshund) Photo. Baron is my 10 year old dachshund. I got him in June from a lady in Kennett Square who does rescues.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Delphine (Miniature Dachshund)

Delphine is a 4 year old Miniature Dachshund. I bought Delphine about 3 1/2 years ago from a local breeder as a surprise for my two children.

Dog in bed.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Josie and Jazz (Dachshunds)

By Allison 5

This is Josie and Jazz. They are Weiner dogs (Dachshunds). Josie is 3 and Jazz is 11. They are both adopted.

Josie and Jazz (Dachshunds)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

The Three Amigos (Dachshunds)

By Judy Griffith W. 2

The three oldest members of our Dachshund family; Tootsie, Dapple, and Jackpot. Jackpot was purchased from a local breeder.

The Three Amigos (Dachshunds)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Article: Breed Information: Dachshund

By EllenB 793 1

Dachshund Breed InformationBreed Description: Dachshunds come in two sizes, standard and miniature, and three types of coats: smooth-haired, longhaired, and wirehaired. The breed is easily distinguished by its low, long muscular body and disproportionately stubby legs-perfect for moving about in the tunnel or den of a badger. Despite their lapdog status, this breed has stamina and agility and displays great courage.

Group: Hound group

Purpose of Breed: Hunting badgers

Country of Origin: Germany

Average Size: Standard Dachshunds are 8 inches and weigh 16-32 pounds. Miniature Dachshunds are 6 inches and usually weigh under 11 pounds.

Color(s): Dachshunds can be any color, except white.

Coat Type: Standard and Miniature Dachshunds have three coat types. The smooth- haired coat is short and shiny, the longhaired coat is of medium length and slightly wavy, and the wirehaired coat is thick and hard.

Grooming: The longhaired and wirehaired coat varieties require more grooming. In general, Dachshunds are medium shedders, have very little dog odor, and need less bathing than most other small breeds. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: Dachshunds do well in apartments as long as they get a moderate amount of daily exercise to prevent obesity. They are naturally suspicious and tend to bark at strangers.

Temperament: Dachshund's are lively little dogs with an independent nature and playful spirit. They tend to bond deeply with one person, and although they love to play, they often do so by their own sets of rules. This breed is highly intelligent, but their independent nature can make them a bit mischievous and difficult to train. Still, they are loyal and affectionate and make wonderful companions.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to genetic eye disease, disc and skin problems and obesity.

Life Expectancy: Can be long-lived, up to 16 years.

Trivia: Dachshund's were originally bred for hunting badgers. Translated from German, the name means Dachs (badgers), hund (dog).

More Information: Dachshund Club of America, Inc.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Weight of Dachshund Puppy

My 2 week old Doxie puppies look very large to me. Their mum and dad are both mini Dachshunds. What is the average weight of a 2 week old puppy?

By Belinda from KZN, South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Pets Dogs Dog Breeds DachshundAugust 17, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Preventing and Treating Nosebleeds, Concerned Boy With Bloody Nose
Preventing and Treating Nosebleeds
Potted Rosemary plant.
Keeping Track of Plant Information
Shredded Privacy
Protecting Personal Information
Credit Report
Providing Information to a Credit Bureau
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 11, 2016 at 10:07:54 PM on 10.0.0.236 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsPhotos
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings