Dealing With Sensitive Skin

Dealing With Sensitive Skin
If you or a family member has sensitive skin there are ways to reduce and improve the symptoms of this condition. This is a guide about dealing with sensitive skin.

If you love the way baths relax you, but your sensitive skin finds them irritating, try oatmeal in your bath water. Pour some into a square of cheesecloth, close it with a rubber band or plastic twist and hang it under the faucet as your bath water is running. Once in the tub, use the cheesecloth bag of oatmeal as your sponge. The oatmeal softens and moisturizes your skin.

By Joesgirl

I have very sensitive skin and certain chemicals in soaps, perfumes, etc really bother me; so I found a website susansoaps.com that has a shampoo bar (soap and shampoo and conditioner) that is chemical free as are all of her products. I also use her solid perfume. It is a small jar, but, lasts me 4 months and is safe for me to use. I recommend it. If you team up with others and get at least $50 worth of products it is shipped free. I found this to be cost effective as I have something I really like and do not have to medicate myself because of a reaction to things.. Hope this helps someone such as myself...Sheila S

This is a guide about shaving legs with sensitive skin. Your choice of shave cream and razors can help leave your leg skin healthy, silky and smooth.

A woman shaving her legs with a razor.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about wearing earrings with sensitive skin. There are ways to tolerate those inexpensive earrings when you react to the metals they contain.

Wearing Earrings With Sensitive Skin

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My skin is extremely sensitive, if I touch or scratch my face it goes red. Inexpensive earrings make my ears peel (it's gross) and tanning booths give me bumps after using them. Is there an easy way to calm down irritated skin?

Brooklyn from Calgary, AB

May I suggest using fragrance free cosmetics. Dove has a really good fragrance free soap and body wash. You may be allergic to fragrances. Please give this a try if you haven't already. Good Luck!

I also have very sentisive skin..I have found that Aloe Vera Gel seems to help quite a bit...just rub it on where ever the Hive or spot is...may take 2-4 times to clear it up, but it works...usually I find it by the sunburn remedies. It is either blue or green. The brand that seems to work the best for me is "good earth", from Wal-Mart

I also have this kind of skin. I am allergic to scratches... (break out in hives)... like from a necklace rubbing against my skin. Also, my ears have an allergic reaction to metals so I dont wear ear rings... (I've decided scabby ears arent really sexy.. lol) I told the dermatologist about the reaction to cosmetics on my face... He told me to look at the ingredients in each and find what ingredient they have in common. I'm allergic to methylparaben and anything with the word "urea" in it. The dermatologist tells me they are preservatibes. Soooo I guess I am advising you to go the simple route. Avoid that which makes your skin get these red bumps rather than to try to remedy them. You'll be pleasantly rewarded with discovering the innate inner glow that you posess. Keep it simple. By the way, Dove bar soap is the only product I can use on my skin (not the liquid). Lotions make my hands and legs worse so I try to avoid them. Use Vaseline on your hands at night if they are dry... If this doesnt work for you, see a dermatologist. You're worth it and owe it to yourself. Treat yourself like a princess. After all you are one! (smile)

I also have terribly sensitive skin. I can't even wear expensive jewely, like gold or silver. I also gave up on wearing earrings because they make my ears scab up.

I also use aloe vera. I either buy the gel, or use it right off the plant (which is best for me). I second Pat5617, who says avoid fragrances.

Good luck...

I see you live in Calgary AB where winter weather is not kind to sensitive skin. Since you seem to have EXTREMELY sensitive skin I would suggest you see your doctor. He may refer you to a dermatologist. Good luck.

To protect yourself against nickel allergy - in most inexpensive earrings, etc - you can put clear surgical tape on the earrings/jewelry where it touches your skin to protect it. I can only wear silver/gold and stainless steel daily. When my skin gets really irritated, I find that calendula gel (you can find it in the health food store) is very cooling - also applications of cold black tea (very good around the eyes).

Try getting a shower water filter. Maybe you are allergic to chlorine and showeriing in chlorinated water maybe leaving your skin in a constantly agitated state. :)

A lot of this just depends on the individual. I've never been able to use Dove soaps- I think it's the rose oil. Jergens soap, and clear, perfume-free soaps like Neutragena work for me. Noxema is also good. I like the Almay products, including the milk cleanser.

If you have sensitive skin be careful which sunscreen you use. My face swelled up when I used Coppertone Faces Only- even though I was hardly in the sun. I've used Neutragena Sensitive Skin sunscreen every day for the past four years and haven't had any problem with it.

Try Carley's face products - particularly their natural soap which is ideal for those with sensitive skin. Most likely you guys are sensitive to the ingredients in most soaps. Carley's caters to those with allergies to store bought products as well as those with acne (for that - get the treatment). This stuff is unlike anything else you will have tried...

You can only purchase on the internet or ebay. Its fresh (no more than a couple months old) and its natural. Give it a try! You'll notice a difference right away..

http://www.no-acne.com/main.htm

I do consider myself to be a frugal person, but must admit that I have a weakness for nice cosmetics, cleansers, etc. But we all know that they are very expensive, and never go on sale at department stores. Can anyone recommend very good products for dry, sensitive skin that don't cost an arm-an-a leg??!! Renee

Don't know too many details but I've heard that Elizabeth Arden has a line at WalMart. Same stuff as at the department stores. I also believe that I've heard that Lancome is the same as L'Oreal.

The line is called Skinsimple. The website announcing it follows: http://www.find  43/ai_112792510. Not sure if it is still around or not. This news article is over 1 year old.

I know this sounds crazy, but I read that Crisco (solid shortening) is a very good moisturizer. Anyway, I tried it and it's great - certainly as good, if not better than the expensive products I have tried. You can't get much more frugal than that!

Try looking at the Web-site www.aloetherapy.com. They have great Aloe Vera base skin care products. The Aloe is grown in Greenhouses so thier is no contaminates. They are very reasonable, plus they run Specials every month. I have used thier products for about 5 years and love them. Wouldn't use anything else.

i am very sensitive and also short on money. i started selling avon. i have been very plesantly surprised that i can actually use some of what i sell. i did not expect to be able to use any of the skin care stuff. we carry a sensative soap and lotion made specifically for skin noses that cant tolerate smell etc. the other is moisture therapy with oatmeal. i can use both of them. avon.com can put you in contact with a rep in your area.

pure aloe gel is THE best. It has a multitude of uses. Be sure to purchase PURE aloe gel...

Gold Bond Ultimate (white tube) is great. It really helped my husbands dry skin this past winter without feeling greasy. Wal-Mart sells it for about $6 a tube.

It's time to call your local Avon Lady! Avon has excellent skin products for very reasonable prices. And, their stuff goes on sale regularly! Check out their website. They also have specials online routinely. You may even be able to get shipping for free!

My son has severe ezcema and believe me we have tried everything.

Olive oil and shortening work wonderfully. We also use a product

called Aquaphor. It comes in a tub-like container and is somewhat

pricey, but a little goes a long way and it lasts for about 2-3 months.

It has the consistency of vaseline, which is another great product, but

my son is allergic to it.

they have this stuff at Wal Mart, i've heard its supposed to be for cows udders but its called Utterly Smooth.............IT WORKS GREAT

I found Arm and Hammer for Sensitive Skin laundry detergent once about a year ago. I loved it because it was not only good for sensitive skin but also I need the no perfume. I have not been able to find it in any of our stores, even drug stores. How can I find this line and also are there dryer sheets with no perfume? My zip code is 63628 if that will help in locating a store.

Roberta

I have a 9 month old with very sensitive skin. I need to clean/disinfect her bathtub. Does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve harsh chemicals? Thanks!

Jacqui