Wearing Earrings With Sensitive Skin

There are ways to tolerate those inexpensive earrings when you react to the metals they contain. This guide is about wearing earrings with sensitive skin.

I used to have to wear only gold or silver earrings. I have some costume earrings that are very pretty. When I try and wear them, my ear lobes end up getting red and sore. I have to treat them by rubbing them with antibiotic cream. One day I thought, why not treat the earring post with the antibiotic cream and then put them in my earlobes. I coated the earring post with the antibiotic cream and then put them in. I was able to wear them all the day with no problem, soreness, or red earlobes. Now I am able to wear any earrings I want with no problems. Try this, it really worked great for me.

By dorothy wedenoja from New Creek, WV

My pierced ears tend to "close up" if I go without wearing earrings for a while. And putting earrings in again can be difficult and painful. I found a way to slip them right in and keep them from hurting after I've had a lengthy earring lay-off. Dip the ends of the post or the part that goes through your ear in an antibiotic ointment. Then insert as usual.

They should go in with a lot less trouble, or no trouble at all. Plain petroleum jelly works too, but I like the added insurance of keeping infection at bay that the ointment provides. If the earrings have a separate back piece, dab a bit of ointment on it too. This should take care of any icky seepage that tends to get crusty when you haven't worn earrings in a while.

By ~gloria from upstate NY

If some pierced earrings bother your ears (make them itch), coat the posts with clear nail polish and let dry for 24 hours. This may stop the itching.

By Cheryl Doi from Nova Scotia, Canada

Some of the earrings I wear have caused my ear lobes to break out, get itchy and turn red. I find that by putting clear nail polish on the backs of those earrings, I am able to still wear the earrings I really like. After some use, I find I need to re-apply the polish. It works great.

By Barbie

If wearing "cheap" holiday earrings irritates your pierced ears, put a dab of antibiotic ointment on your ear, front and back, before inserting earrings. By Linda

I seem to have an allergy to nickel since I cannot wear cheap earings without my earlobes bothering me. I decided to try putting a thin coat of clear nail polish on the stem and it has worked well for me for years.

Fashionable earrings are very precious to me, but my little girl wants them too. Sad to hear, she's allergic to those fancy earrings.

When she wears those, her ears get itchy and are painful to remove.

I had a problem wearing any kind of earrings, no matter if they were silver, gold, etc. Then I tried what is called "nickle free" earrings. Now I can wear mine all day long without any itching or infections.

My daughter has always had trouble with metal wires for her earrings. One day while we were in the local craft store, we found replacement French "wires" made out of plastic.

I have sensitive ears and need to wear sensitive solutions earrings, but even when I wear those my ears are red, itching, and peeling. I thought sensitive solution earrings were suppose to help, not make the matter worse. What can I do?

By Alexis T. from Aurora, IL

Answers

Best Answer

Even earrings for sensitive ears may not be enough. Have you been tested for metal allergies, if not, perhaps you should consider it, even earrings for sensitive ears have metal. Or perhaps it is the backing piece if there is one, that you are sensitive to. You might only be able to wear hoops that hook into themselves or other similar styles.

Best Answer

You might try clear nail polish coating the posts and parts that touch ears. This has been my solution for similar problem. Good luck!

Best Answer

I have the same problem an finally I have found the answer ...they are called
"nickle free" earrings. some times they are hard to fine but look at Bealls, Kochs,
the dress barn. you will have to ask for them but they should say nickle free on the little card that the earrings come on hope this helps

jodi

I have these silver earrings my boyfriend gave me and I wear them with no problems, but now my right ear has started breaking out. I'm not sure if it's because I have sensitive ears or what. But I have put some anti-itch cream on my right ear and I would like to know if that will help or do I need some other type of itch cream to put on my ear?

Answers

Best Answer

The cream should work fine on your ear. You can also clean the year with hydrogen peroxide to help this too. Many people can wear silver at first, but after a few days of leaving the earrings in the ear they have problems. In your case it is better to remove them daily and clean them before using them again. If this continues to happen, it is best to change the wire on the earrings.

Best Answer

You can use Bacitracin, or some other type of cream like that before you put your earrings in.

Best Answer

Yes, I cannot wear Sterling Silver or plated/costume jewelry. I would check to see if they are Made of hypoallergenic sterling silver, that would work best if you have sensitive skin. I'd clean my ears with hydrogen peroxide and allow your ears to rest without earrings. What kind of earrings did you wear previously?

Best Answer

My right ear is prone to breakouts and keloids with most jewelry where my left ear is not. You might have the same issue. I'd try cleaning it thoroughly but giving the earrings a break. Try them again when the irritation has gone down to see if it happens again. If it does, you have an allergy in that ear.

How do I keep my ears from breaking out?

By Brianna

Answers

I use to have the same problem. For years I wore only real gold and silver jewelry, always envied the women with the wonderful costume jewelry. I found a trick if you put Neosporin on the back of the earring post as well as on your ear lobe, you won't have any problems. No more redness, itchy ear lobes, pain. It feels great to wear all the wonderful fashion pieces.

If you have a pair of studs that don't hurt your ears, and the cheap earrings you want to wear are dangley, usually there is a small loop/hole that attaches that dangley part of the earring to the cheap hook or stud piece that goes through your ear. Take of the cheap hook and feed the stud that doesn't hurt your ear. Voila! Interchangeable earrings that will never hurt again!