Wearing Costume Jewelry

This is a guide about wearing costume jewelry. Some people can have skin irritation from metal jewelry. There are a few things you can to protect your skin, and still enjoy the necklaces, bracelets and earrings you like. This is a guide about wearing costume jewelry.

Do you have a costume jewlery ring that makes your finger green? You can prevent the discoloration on your skin by painting the inside of the ring with clear nail polish. Takes two to three coats, let dry thoroughly between each coat. You'll have to touch up occasionally. When you see the discoloration coming back, repolish your ring.

Source: My mom

Due to a nickel allergy that causes me to get a rash wherever there is nickel contact with the skin (and nickel is a common metal for costume jewelry), I have a few gambits that I use to avoid the irritation.

1. I line the object with porous medical tape (I did that on a bracelet watch.) Replace as needed.
  2. Put the same medical tape on your earrings where the metal touches your ears.
  3. I usually try to use stainless steel chains around my neck, but if I find a nice costume jewelry necklace, as I did yesterday in a thrift shop - with the Nordstrom's tag still on it, I can cover the back part of the necklace with the medical tape. I sometimes use a ribbon or string tied to the necklace ends so that my neck will only have contact with the ribbon (It doesn't really show).
  4. Use a leather thong to hold your pendant.

By pam munro from Los Angeles, CA

I prefer to buy inexpensive costume jewelry, rather than spend tons on the real thing. To prevent costume jewelry from tarnishing, seal it with clear fingernail polish. Spend less and wear it almost as long!

By dee from Salem, VA

A simple trick my mother-in-law showed me. We all have that silver or gold toned jewelry that we would love to wear, but unfortunately when we do it leaves our skin green or can even cause skin irritations. If you simply paint a thin coat of clear nail polish over the metal that will be in contact with your skin, it will alleviate the problem completely. Don't forget to give it plenty of time to dry thoroughly, a day or more I would suggest. Now that pretty, but unwearable, pile at the bottom of your jewelry box can actually be worn! I loved this trick and it's so simple I couldn't believe I hadn't heard of it before.

This necklace was plain when I found it at a thrift shop. After a few seconds with a fine tipped permanent marker pen, I had a perfect match for my green blouse.

Costume jewelry will look better and last longer if you coat it 2-3 times with clear fingernail polish before you wear it for the first time. Hang it on sides of a can or object covered with wax paper to dry.

This guide is about wearing earrings with sensitive skin. There are ways to tolerate those inexpensive earrings when you react to the metals they contain.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I had my ears pierced a few months ago and will be purchasing earrings. I was wondering what the term "fashion earrings" means? Are these made by designers, or does it mean what is in fashion today? I will not be buying expensive earrings, any suggestions on where to buy (department stores, Avon, etc.)?

P.J. from Delaware

By Claudia-MD (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I think "fashion earrings" is a nicer way of saying "costume jewelry", that is, not gold, silver, platinum, or reals stones.