Wearing Costume Jewelry With a Nickle Allergy

Due to a nickel allergy that causes me to get a rash wherever there is nickel contact with the skin (and nickel is a common metal for costume jewelry), I have a few gambits that I use to avoid the irritation.

1. I line the object with porous medical tape (I did that on a bracelet watch.) Replace as needed.
  2. Put the same medical tape on your earrings where the metal touches your ears.
  3. I usually try to use stainless steel chains around my neck, but if I find a nice costume jewelry necklace, as I did yesterday in a thrift shop - with the Nordstrom's tag still on it, I can cover the back part of the necklace with the medical tape. I sometimes use a ribbon or string tied to the necklace ends so that my neck will only have contact with the ribbon (It doesn't really show).
  4. Use a leather thong to hold your pendant.

By pam munro from Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for sharing. I have a similar allergy to nickel, so I rarely wear jewelry. But when I used to wear a watch I coated the back of the watch with clear nail polish.

I still cover the snaps on my jeans with duct tape (where it sometimes touches my tummy), but I like the idea of medical tape better.

I've always used clear nail polish on the back of earrings and any other jewelry that wasn't sterling or gold. If it starts wearing off it's easy to repaint.

This is an interesting tip, I'll have to tell my daughter who inherited my nickel & gold allergy. I don't wear jewelry anymore, so it doesn't bother me, but it upsets her that she can't wear a lot of things she likes.

I've never been able to use nail polish because it comes right off, guess my body is too acidic or something. Used to be I couldn't wear the watches that you have to wind either because something in my body would make them stop working.

I just paint my jewelry with clear nail polish anywhere that might touch my skin.
Some necklaces you can spray with hair spray. Either way you choose, let it dry good before wearing.

Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceJuly 13, 2011
💘
🍀