Wearing Fancy Earrings with Sensitive Ears

Fashionable earrings are very precious to me, but my little girl wants them too. Sad to hear, she's allergic to those fancy earrings. When she wears those, her ears get itchy, are painful to remove, and sometimes it sticks in her ears. But she really loves to wear them.

So, here is what I do. Before putting those earrings on her ears, I put petroleum jelly on the hook of the earrings before inserting it to her ears. This is really a big help. It prevents the allergic reaction from fashion earrings.

It is probably the nickel in the metal of the inexpensive earrings that is causing the reaction. You could also try coating the post and back of the earrings with clear nail polish. My grandaughter is allergic to nickel so the family story is that her boyfriends are only allowed to give her "real" (karat gold or sterling silver) jewelry! She also gets a rash on her stomach from some of the buttons that are on jeans. I have never heard of anyone being allergic to genuine gold!