Browsing: Decorating Lamp Shades

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Decorating Lamp Shades

Decorating old and worn, or plain and uninteresting, new lampshades can change their entire look and complement the room's decor. This is a guide about decorating lamp shades.

Decorating LampShades to LookOutdoorsy
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 25, 2015 Flag

I have painted a few lamp shades with spray paint with good success

August 9, 2009 Flag

Is it safe, possible to paint the inside of a lampshade? I have a pair that I love, but the inside is very glossy and the glare they give off when lit is blinding.

By lampshady lady

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Before doing any painting, I would lightly sand the inside of the shade first to make what is called a "tooth" so that the paint will adhere to the surface because it is glossy or slick. If done in both directions(ie up and down and side to side) that alone may be enough to cut the glare you are trying to get rid of. If not, use an appropriate kind of paint to paint the inside.By that I mean, if shade is plastic use a plastic paint, if paper use craft paint. Also be aware, painting the inside of the shade may cause the lamp to give out less light even with white or a light color being used.

How about decoupaging pretty tissue paper, wrapping paper or fabric to the inside of the shade. It is safe to use paper as long as your bulb is not too bright/hot. I've made shades from wall paper with out a problem. Good luck

All good ideas. Keep the bulb inside florescent, which means less energy bills and less heat.

If it's just too shiny and the colour is ok... I'd just sand it lightly to dull the shine.

January 31, 2011 Flag

I have white glass lamp shades on my kitchen chandelier. I want to remove them, and spray paint them a "color".

My question would be, what is the best paint to use, where to purchase it, and if anyone has painted glass lamp shades with "success"? I am a huge fan of "spray paint", but never used it on glass shades.

By MJo from Spencerport, NY

I know there is a paint you can use. Please go to your local craft store.

First, wash the shade with TSP. Make sure it is clean! If it is "glossy" you may have to sand it first. Your local paint or craft store may have a paint that you can use. Perhaps the "stained" glass paint i.e. the one you use to make a pane of glass to look like stained glass. Make sure the paint is heat resistant, as a light bulb can give off a lot of heat.

If you use a faux glass paint like Gallery Glass by Decoart, please follow the prep instructions that come with the paint. It does not come in spray that I know of, you may have to paint it on by hand. Or you could try spattering it on with an old toothbrush. Be sure do this technique inside a paint tent. These can be made from a cardboard box with one side cut out.

July 24, 2006 Flag
Decorating LampShades to LookOutdoorsy

Outdoorsy looking lamp shades are a fun way to celebrate the great outdoors from the comfort of your easy chair! The fringe at the bottom is from a popular mega center and is hand stitched on to secure it.

I save my junk mail and trim it for deco hole punches, like you see hanging down the shade. They are tiny leaves that I carefully strung and then crocheted a chain stitch to make the cord which could be used for any number of things, like gift wrap.

The 2 bigger leaves, I found in my craft stuff and tied them to a plain cord by their stems. There's another crocheted cord that's harder to see that I handcut the small pink suede flowers by hand then strung on cord and crocheted.

There's also a piece of green glass junk jewelry clipped to the top that was once part of a pair of clip on earrings.

The stamps I used came from a dollar store and were like a foam stamp pad and the paint is rubber stamp ink pads of various colors.

The leaf/berries at the top with stems is another dollar store find and was intended for use with a candle. The possibilities are endless when you decorate with nature!

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO

January 10, 2007 Flag

The perfect accessory for a little boy's room is a transportation-themed lampshade. Just spray paint a lampshade black to look like asphalt. Randomly arrange roadway and street-sign stickers, then hot glue a few toy cars onto the shade. An airplane is affixed to the harp of this lamp with spring wire so it will have some bounce and movement.

By IMAQT1962 from IL

January 9, 2007 Flag

The perfect accessory for a little girl's room is a pink dress lampshade. Wrap a baby girl's dress around a lampshade, tuck it underneath and then glue it onto the bottom. A little pink trim and some beads add the finishing touch.

Featured Trash to Treasure Products with Brenda and Tom Weber.

December 16, 2010 Flag

How do I cover a lampshade?

By Maureen from Anna, IL

The easy way is to make a template out of any kind of sturdy paper. Lay the paper out leaving two inches between each cut out. Then you can measure how long and how wide it would be to lay out on material. Note: your material will come in different widths. It's just a gross measurement and you will have more material than you need but better too much than to little. If you want to have a more precise cut, take your numbers to the fabric store and they will cut what you need.

Go to Youtube, there a lot of videos.

July 15, 2010 Flag

I just touched up the edges of a "found" lampshade with black permanent marker, sponged it off, and it's amazing how respectable it looks now. I found the shade on trash day on an old corroded brass lamp and rescued it.

July 15, 2010 Flag

Peel off the old fabric and any foam padding. Use a razor blade to carefully scrape off any residue of glue or foam. Use leftover wallpaper to create a new cover for the shade. Use a paper bag to create a template, then trace it onto the wallpaper. Double check your fit before wetting the wallpaper then apply wallpaper following manufacturers instructions. We used self adhesive wallpaper. Let dry and trim upper and lower edges. Get out your glue gun and apply some cording to finish the upper and lower edges to complement your decor. Voila, you've got a new lampshade for next to nothing!

By Katie in NY

October 18, 2009 Flag

I painted my living room lamp burgundy and dry brushed the design in gold. I also painted the shade a brown. What a mistake. I am thinking about covering the shade with wallpaper (damask print) in burgundy and gold.

My living room colors are a really nice creamy gold (not yellow) with one wall in wine. I have medium beige carpet and wood floors as you come in the front door. Any other ideas for the lampshade?

By dr0725 from Belle, WV

Answers:

Covering a Lampshade

Gold fabric is really nice, because it gives off such a wonderful, candle light-like glow (either real gold, like lame', or a gold-toned fabric, maybe with a bit of a shimmer). Burgundy is pretty dark, so it will not give off as much light. You could also use a dusty rose damask/brocade (fabric). If you do choose wallpaper, then light will only come out the bottom and top. If you choose this way, why not punch little pinholes all along the wallpaper design so the light can trickle through? (08/12/2009)

By Cyinda

Covering a Lampshade

I've seen lampshades that are covered with ribbon. Just purchase a spool in a color you like and wind it around the shade top to bottom, starting at the top and just keep looping it around the shade until it's covered then glue the end piece in place. (08/14/2009)

By chef4u

Crafts Home DecorSeptember 27, 2012
Skylight light with mini blinds.
Adding Shades to a Skylight
Installing Roman Shades
Finding Window Hardware for Roman Shades
Orange Curtains
Making No-Sew Curtains or Shades
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 9:10:03 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.