Adding Shades to a Skylight

Category Windows
Adding shades will help cut down on the light and heat that at times are a downside of having skylights. This is a guide about adding shades to a skylight.

I have two skylights in my living room that let in way too much heat this time of year. Since I don't have an air conditioner, I would love inexpensive ideas for covering my skylights to make it cooler in here.

Mysti from Colorado Springs, CO

Answers

I would probably buy and inexpensive roll up blind, unroll it, neatly cut off the excess at the hardware end and with small thumbtacks attach the shade to the outside framework, you would only need a few thumbtacks, the shade is light, usually paper or some sort of nylon or something,
that would leave light in but help the heat. I hope.
tam

You could use fabric held up with hook and loop tape.

I have been consideringthe same thing...and was thinking of using small spring tension rods. Two per window, and either buying "door panels" or making curtains out of sheer fabric - with a rod pocket at both ends. The spring rods wont damage the surrounding framework, and can be removed at any time.

I took apiece of 2inch thick styrofoam insulation and cut it to the size of the skylight. Covered the sides with duct tape, and it slips in perfect. I used the white kind so it still lets in some light.
Quite a difference.

I also have this problem and I used two spring form rods with a fabric of your choice. It works very well.

Measure fabric so it fits very close to the edge of the skylight and you will be very pleased. Of course this requires a very tall ladder but I keep mine up until fall.

i got some wonderful stuff from either mileskimball . com or lillian vernon . com. anyway it is like cling on material but it looks like sunglasses-see thru gray. i have put it on 3 windows that get lots of sun. i hope it works. look under window or curtain on line at those sites.

Hi there my mom is using dollar store/tree umbrellas to put in her skylights says it works great, just cannot be superstitous about opening an umbrella in the house. Good luck they are available in lots of neat designs or solid colors.

If you want to go fancy they do sell shades made for sky lights.
Here's a few links for you. Obvously they'll have different price ranges but at least you'll have a better clue of what's available out there. Hope they help you figure out your best option.

http://www.skyl … heatblocker.com/

http://www.drap … t_FlexShades.htm

http://www.sunp … nsClimateControl

http://cellular … ight_shades.html

We will be moving my daughter into a room with a recessed skylight. Any thrifty ideas for an inexpensive shade or blind? The blinds on line are nearly $200. In my own bedroom, we have the same light, and I hooked up a curtain on two rods, but we can't actually open it or it falls off. I want something in her room that we can close and open. Thanks!

Natasha from Exeter, NH