Finding Window Hardware for Roman Shades?

Finding the proper hardware to hang these distinctive window shades can be a challenge. This is a page about finding window hardware for Roman shades.


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

August 29, 2005

I want to hang Roman shades on four windows. The sewing of the shades is the easy part. I need to find the hardware that rolls the shades up and down. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can locate the hardware for Roman shades?



By Donna Martin (Guest Post)
August 30, 20050 found this helpful

I made Roman shades for my home. I used the instructions from a free leaflet found in the drapery hardware area of a craft store. I used white cotton twine for the string. Attached to the top of the window casing is a board, something like a 1x2 will work, the width of your window. I used matching fabric between the board and the window, draping over to hang in front. Place eyehooks in the board to catch the twine. My shades have 3 strings up the back, so I needed 4 eyehooks. 3 in line with the strings, and one to the far right. The twine from the left will go straight up the shade, through the eye hook to the left, and through all the other eyehooks.


The center one will go through the center hook and the two to the right, and the string on the right side of the shade will go up, through that eye hook, and through the one on the right. Now you have all the strings together. Put a cleat on the window frame or the wall, placed high enough to keep strings out of reach of toddlers. Tie a knot in the strings to keep them pulling together. Put a decorative knob or bead at the end. When you pull the shades up, wrap the strings around the cleat to hold. (A cleat fastens at the center, and has a prong at the top and bottom. The prongs curve away from the wall. I found clear plastic ones.)

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By Lelah (Guest Post)
January 3, 20060 found this helpful

go to click on roman shades. you will find the roller for the strings, the lock for all the strings, and the little cover that goes on the end of the strings.


hope this helped.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By Jennifer Thoden (Guest Post)
March 27, 20060 found this helpful

Vist http://www.draperysewingsupplies...

You'll find all of your roman shade supplies and hardware there.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By Phil Dein (Guest Post)
November 6, 20070 found this helpful

Also try BlindSaver, they've got a whole section of Roman shade parts, plus some tutorials.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By John (Guest Post)
April 20, 20080 found this helpful

This site has a large selection Of Roman Shade Parts

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By Steve B. (Guest Post)
December 14, 20080 found this helpful

HELP! I'm trying to install a pair of Roman Shades that my wife bought at a yard sale. I'm mounting them on the outside of our window frame, side by side. I have two Roman shades but only one pair of mounting brackets. The instructions that came with the shades have a picture of the brackets so I scanned it in and attached it to this post.


This is what they look like. I need one pair of brackets like these.

The instructions that came with the shades have 'Woolrich Fabric Roman Shades' at the top if this helps any.

Please email responses to "steve(dot)broome(at)gmail(dot)com"

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...

November 14, 2005

Where can I purchase hardware for Roman Shades?

Nancy from Grayslake, IL


By Anna from Maine (Guest Post)
November 14, 20050 found this helpful

I have made many roman shades and all I use are the small (bone rings) to run the twine thru and small eye hooks to screw into the top of the window frame to fasten the twine to. I also use 1/4 inch dowels for the folds and nylon twine . You do not need any expensive items. I use decorative upholstery tacks to tack them to the top of the window frame. You do need a cleat or something to fasten the twine to when they are pulled up. If you have more questions contact me at sell5678 @ (remove spaces) Anna from Maine

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By Nancy (Guest Post)
November 14, 20050 found this helpful

Thanks, Anna. I was looking for the type of hardware that would not require the cleat to fasten the twine.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 15, 20050 found this helpful

I was going to give you a website that I found for Roman Shades hardware, don't know if you still need it, but here it is! :-)


Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By nancy (Guest Post)
November 15, 20050 found this helpful

Thank you, Stacey. I went to the web site and that's what I'm looking for - the continuous loop mechanism. I'll study the instructions and then I'm off to JoAnne Fabrics. Appreciate the help. I'm a first time user of this web site and already I like it. Thanks again. Nancy

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...

March 7, 2015

I am looking for a three sided box bracket with a wing nut to create tension that is inserted from the bottom. It is 1 inch.

By Bernie


March 10, 20150 found this helpful

From the looks of this bracket, I would try replacement parts from a window treatment company, like Graber. They were probably sold with purchased window treatments and may be available for purchase as hardware replacements.


They possibly are more expensive than you anticipated; doing an internet search may give you some discount.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 9, 20160 found this helpful

found on Blindsparts web page. part number 388

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...

November 19, 2015

What is the name of the hardware, that is shaped like a triangle, at the top of a roman shade used to hang the shade by a nail or screw?


November 20, 20150 found this helpful

I don't know the name but the category would be "fasteners" in your local hardware store. They tend to bunch all manner of items in there. Good luck. Or make your own with coat hanger wire and pliers.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...

February 17, 2015

My wife and I are making our own Roman shades, we have everything except the hanging hardware for them. I was on the site and saw the hanger I was looking for, but I cannot find the hanger anywhere or even the name of the hanger. Steve showed a picture of the hanger (the picture is still on the site), as he was looking for the same hanger. I have looked everywhere to find this, but without any luck. Can anyone be of help to us? The hardware looks like a square bracket with a set screw in the bottom of it.
Thanks for all the help!

By Larry F.


February 19, 20150 found this helpful

Print out the picture showing the hardware you need and take it to the hardware store/DIY centre. If you don't have a printer at home you can print things off the Internet at your local library for a small fee (under $1USD last time I was in the States).

I relocated to the UK in 2010 and as I like to DIY, soon discovered the British (of course, lol!) have different names for things than we do back in the US. I quickly figured out a picture is still worth a thousand words - I either took the book/magazine picture or a print-out of what I needed to the 'ironmonger' (Brit-Speak for hardware store) and showed the clerk what I needed.

In and out of the shop with just what I need in under ten minutes, works a treat:)

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Window TreatmentsFebruary 22, 2015
Summer Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Pest Control
Back to School Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-08-08 00:12:55 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Add to PageAsk a Question