Deodorant Build-up

How do you remove deodorant residue from t-shirts? It has hardened on the armpit of the t-shirt. I have tried vinegar with no luck.

Sara from Southeast Missouri

Answers:

Deodorant Build-up

Please try to soak the shirts in Cascade..yes, the dishwasher soap. I have seen stains removed from garments that have been there for some time. Good luck! (04/02/2007)

By Monica from Detroit

Deodorant Build-up

Try rubbing the marks with some pantyhose. It works for me and it's the only use I get out of my pantyhose! (04/02/2007)

By Megan F.

Deodorant Build-up

I had a shirt that had been washed several times with a paint stain on it that would not come out. I sprayed it with a little WD-40 and it took the stain out completely. Can't hurt to try. (04/03/2007)

By busdrivr

Deodorant Build-up

I have always used white vinegar per "Hints from Heloise" (I think) even on old stains. There were shirts that I had stopped wearing until I remembered reading it years ago and tried it for the first time about 3 years ago. Vinegar is a natural sanitizer too. It works on coffee pots, nebulizer breathing treatment machines, dishwashers, etc. (04/16/2007)

By B

Deodorant Build-up

Well all I can suggest is to get petrol and soak it for a few minutes, and then see if it's worked. Hope this helps. (11/06/2007)

By mazzy

Deodorant Build-up

Use the strongest dish washing powder you can get (Active brand powder in NZ). Wet the area with hot water, rub a little powder on the area, and rub vigorously or use a nail brush. You may have to treat the stain a few times, and it's very caustic on your hands, so take care. Don't soak the garment or you could end up bleaching the color out. Rinse well. (12/11/2007)

By Jan

Deodorant Build-up

Buy cheap shirts and replace as needed. (02/12/2008)

By Derek

Deodorant Build-up

I have the same problem, so I switched to spray and no more stiff pits. I might try regular deodorant instead of antiperspirant in stick and see if that works. I don't really like spray. (10/20/2008)

By tom

Deodorant Build-up

I have had this problem with only a few shirts. Today I discovered that "Goof-off" does the trick. I used it on a black shirt. It can be bought at any Lowe's or Home Depot, probably in the paint departments. It smells like gasoline, but after trying vinegar, baking soda, boiling salt water, etc, this is the only thing that made any difference at all. (12/31/2008)

By Just Me

Deodorant Build-up

I have battled this problem for years with my husband's shirts. I don't even like washing his shirts with the rest of the laundry because the smell gets into everything else no matter how much detergent I use. I have tried some of these ideas and none have worked. I have the hard, crusted build-up with odor. I'm going to give the goo stuff and meat tenderizer a shot.

I do know this. One thing they have to do is make sure their arm pits are really clean before applying more deodorant after their shower. Deodorant does not just wash off, you have to really work at it to get it off, in that residual deodorant is the days worth of sweating and bacteria that has built up that is causing the odor.

That is also what is trapped in the pits of the shirts, old deodorant that has encased bacteria in it. It heats up and gets moist after they put the shirt on and bingo, the smell is stronger than ever. (07/01/2009)

By SusanLee

Deodorant Build-up
A woman putting on deodorant.
Deodorant Reviews
Man Using Deodorant
Using Deodorant
Photo of a stick of Sure deodorant.
Removing Deodorant Stains on Clothing
Deodorant Stains
Removing Deodorant Stains From a Sweater
🎄
🍂