Deodorant Reviews

Reading reviews of personal products, such as deodorant, can be helpful in trying to find a brand that will work for your specific needs. This is a guide about deodorant reviews.

May 27, 2008 Flag

If baking soda can subdue the odor of a cat litter box, imagine what it can do under your arms. Yep. All by itself, or if you want, you can add talc or other powder to it at a ratio or half and half. Put it in a tin and keep it in the bathroom.

After you shower, pat dry your underarms and apply the powder with a dry washcloth or piece of a dishrag. The only time this is not a good plan is when you are wearing something sleeveless.

By Susan from WV

Please do not use talc! If you mean baby powder, most is made by using cornstarch--check labels. Old fashioned formulas, even Johnsons' contain talc. Talc is breathed into the lungs and very harmful.

Straight baking soda will burn your underarms. You need to use a ratio of 1 part baking soda to 1 part cornstarch. The cornstarch also absorbs wetness and odor.

My reipce, which my son and I have used fo rdays and are in total astonishment--no odor whatsoever. A simple formula was revealed when i did a google search. I added a couple extras.

Basic Deodorant Powder

1/2 cup baking soda (arm and hammer or generic are USP and great)

1/2 cup cornstarch

few drops tea tree oil (use this!)

a couple whole bay leaves

Combine in airtight shaker. I have seen some recommend applying to wet washcloth and then to underarm, which would only clump and makes no sense. Instead, I apply to a cream base (below) or you may apply to clean, moist underarms with a simple cotton ball or makeup kabuki brush. Press, don't BRUSH on, so underarms look powdery.

That's it. You shouldn't have to reapply.

I use a cream base with the above for best results. My husband does not.

Cream Base

3 T coconut oil (I use Spectrum organic)

2 drops tea tree oil

2 T rosewater (optional)

1 Vit E capsule (broken before use, dont 'use capsule itself!)

MIcro above to melt. Stir to combine. Will harden upon use. Store in jar. Body heat melts this. Smooth some on wet or dry underarms. Should feel nice. Then apply above powder by pressing on with dry kabuki or dry cotton ball.

We are astonished by results. For the first time , ever, we have no breakthrough odor 24 hours after application. Why did we not discover this deodorant that our ancestors probably used earlier?

Pennies to make. No odor whatsoever. May reapply if necessary (going out?) but 24 hours after applying, next morning, we can detect a whiff of any odor whatsoever--just fresh clean underarms. Try it!

You can use baking soda as an underarm deodorant with or without sleeves. Very little is needed, and it forms an invisible layer in the amounts needed for effectiveness.

I haven't bought spray, stick or roll-on deodorant in over a dozen years now since I switched to just plain baking soda (bicarbonate of soda). The way I do it is fill a discarded plastic spice shaker jar (no glass containers in the bathroom, please!) with baking soda and leave it in the medicine cabinet. When I step out of the shower or the tub, before I start dressing I moisten my hands and shake a little baking soda on one hand, then rub my fingertips together lightly to spread the baking soda paste. Using my bare fingers, I apply a thin film of this paste to both armpits, then rinse the excess from my hands. It dries quickly in the armpits and leaves an alkaline environment that inhibits the growth of odor-causing bacteria. If I'm on a mostly-vegetable diet, I can go two to three days between baths and reapplication of the baking soda with little or no armpit odor. Amazing, cheap and it works far, far better than any commercial stick, spray or roll-on deodorant I've ever tried. It has also eliminated the problem of insoluble, rock-like deposits forming in my tee-shirts, which was caused by the ingredients in commercial deodorants. Baking soda comes out 100% in the wash.

I've rarely gotten a skin rash since I switched, and that's typically been when I was very active during warm weather, so it's more likely that the rash was caused by the salt in my perspiration, not the baking soda. On those occasions I'll thoroughly wash my armpits with plain water, pat them dry, and go baking soda free for a day, or so, until the rash subsides. A medicated powder, such as Gold Bond, or talcum body powder can also be used. Commercial deodorants can't claim a better track record in this regard.

I typically use a deodorant soap (Dial, Irish Spring, etc.) in the shower, but baking soda seems to work just as effectively with non-deodorant soaps.

My girlfriend copied my technique several years ago and she's had similar results, so on that basis I can say it works well for both men and women.

I've been using baking soda as an underarm and foot deodorant for 2 years now. I do get darkening and dry skin under one armpit (weird, I know), but that's only occasionally. I can actually go for 3 days between re-using, but I usually shower every other day. I keep an old spice container filled with baking soda, sprinkle a little on my hands, add a couple drops of water, mix the paste with both hands and apply under arms. For feet I just add a dusting of baking soda to my shoes.

I would imagine that the eventual problems with the lack of effectiveness is if you keep the area at a certain ph different yeast and bacteria will grow. To solve cleanse with vinegar "weekly". The "burning" is most likely do to over application.

July 5, 2015 Flag

Does anyone use a deodorant that really masks the odor? The last few years my deodorant doesn't work and I am trying all different brands.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would suggest using an anti-perspirant & deodorant. Simple deodorant only masks the odor while an anti-perspirant prevents the sweat. I have used "Sure" brand for years. It comes in scented and unscented. I use unscented so as to not conflict with a perfume I might have on. Another try would be "Gold Bond" powder or even powdering on corn starch. Good luck and hope this helps you to stay 'Cool, calm, collected" and dry....Gale from Calif.

If you have been using antiperspirants and still have problems, a dermatologist can help to identify your specific difficulty and prescribe a solution that will help. Sometimes over the counter offerings just do not work.

I've had success with Lady Speed Stick. I like the "powder fresh" scent the best.

July 20, 2004 Flag

Does anyone know what form of deodorant/anti-perspirant is the cheapest or lasts the longest? Is it roll-on, spray aerosol, solid, gell? Any homemade forms?

Thanks in advance.

I use Lady Speed Stick and that worked great for me, but lately I was beginning to not feel so clean and the lingering smell was always bothering me. So I bought the same make but in Orchid Blossom - for some reason that did not do anything for me. I felt more smelly, and it was leaving she smell on my clothes. So now I am in search for a good one, but I think I will buy couple and see what works- I was recommended Certain Dry. Let's hope that works!

i think baking soda would work the best!!!!

for 1.its thick an will absorb the sweat

its just wat i think

I use Degree and it has never failed me yet! I found the others mentioned here like Suave, piddled out before I did. I remember one of my PE coaches told us girls once, women don't sweat, they perspire. Well this woman sweats like a pig! But I don't stink, thanks to Degree solid.

Vinegar helps me with B.O. After the bath I put some under my arms, then the deodorant. Good luck.

April 16, 2009 Flag

I need a dependable underarm deodorant.

By Fatso

Dove deodorant is great.

LOL! I actually read all of the posts all the time wondering if ANYone used 'lowly' avon?! I've been using avon roll-on @ years. It's very economical. I actually buy it @ ebay and save even more. I even agree with your favorite scents. :-)

When I was dating my husband, his armpits were red no matter what deodorant he used. I got him to use Almay and he has never had red armpits again.

Try Drysol. One of my friends is using it and he claims it works for him.

August 18, 2011 Flag

I have read that applying baking soda can eliminate underarm odor because of its odor-eating ingredient. When I tried, yes it did, there was no unpleasant smell, but it did darken my skin as if it was burnt. Can you help me get rid of underarm odor while whitening the same area?

By Mar B.

It sounds like your skin might be irritated by the baking soda. Try using a mix of two parts corn starch to one part baking soda and see if that helps. If you still have a reaction you could try using corn starch on its own, too.

I don't know about whitening but plain old alcohol will stop underarm odor.

I am allergic to commercial deoderants and have found that cleaning my underarms with alcohol after shower and before I leave the house works very well. After all bacteria are what causes the odor and alcohol kills bacteria.

Alcohol works well. Time will get your underarms back to their right color. I tried baking soda once. It burned and turned my skin red and it took over a week for the redness to go away.

Consumer Advice Product Reviews Bath and BeautySeptember 26, 2013
Man Using Deodorant
Using Deodorant
Photo of a stick of Sure deodorant.
Removing Deodorant Stains on Clothing
Deodorant Stains
Removing Deodorant Stains From a Sweater
Homemade Deodorant with Ribbon Wrapped Around it
Making Homemade Deodorant