Deterring Snakes

Category Snakes
Snake
In some parts of the world snakes can be a problem in the home and garden. This is a guide about deterring snakes.

When people occasionally encounter snakes in or around their homes, they usually are concerned about whether the snakes are dangerous. For your safety in managing snake problems around your home, it is important to be able to identify whether snakes are poisonous or nonpoisonous types.

Can anyone suggest a way to repel snakes? I've heard that granular sulfur works and that it does not work, but that commercially sold SnakeAway does work. It's rather expensive though, so I'm hoping someone will know (from experience) an effective way repel snakes.

By Carol from AR delta

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

A couple of things. use moth balls and cheap kitty litter and surround the perimeter in which you want to keep the snakes out. This sounds weird but it really does work. also, snakes do not like the white rock like you see in some power plant sub stations. we had one on our land so it was easy to access the rocks. But, best bet on the moth balls and kitty litter. Good luck.

You can also try the moth ball crystals to sprinkle around.

Can food diatomaceous earth be used to repel snakes? We are moving into a new house that backs onto a man-made pond. I understand how to use DE for spiders (NC has spiders the size of a small tree root!) and I have read that I can use it also for Japanese beetles and grubs. But what about snakes? Will a border of DE keep snakes from our backyard? We had a wooded lot, no pond; a few years ago and it was loaded with copperheads, so I know snakes here in NC are inevitable. But, if anyone knows of any good methods for repelling snakes, it would really help! Thanks.

By Donna G.

I am not familiar with diatomaceous earth. However, after research on the internet about how to keep snakes from nesting in the crevice between my homes foundation and the sidewalk, I learned that snakes do not like strong, offensive odors. Moths balls have worked for me. Also, I purchased a spray repellent that smelled like capsazin. So now I use linament cream instead as its less expensive.

Good luck