HealthDogs

Did My Pup Get Parvo at the Vet?

Category Health

My pup was fixed on Friday, he started acting sick on Wednesday. Friday I took him back to the vet and they said he has parvo! Could he have gotten parvo at the vet? He was perfectly healthy. He hasn't had shots, he's 5 months old. We've never had any pups/dogs with parvo before. We live in the country, and have had many dogs that were never vaccinated. We don't sell dogs, they are pets that help work cows.

By Rhonda

Anonymous

I highly doubt your veterinarian allowed your pup to come into contact with parvo contamination. I suppose nothing is impossible though so maybe you could find out if anyone elses dog(s) contracted the disease about the same time as your pup did after they visited that vet.

It's more likely your puppy came in contact with infected feces, vomit or infected soil either on your property or even from a place like a local park. Even from you or others who happened to step on something infected and it came near your pup from your shoes. Also, dogs can be carriers of parvo and never become sick themselves and birds and other animals can carry the virus and contaminate through their feces.

I highly recommend you have all your other poochies vaccinated now and in the future start the parvo virus vaccination series when they are about 6 weeks old. And the virus can live for up to a year or more on, in and around your own property so you will want to check into and do decontamination since your pup has now had the disease.

I highly disagree with the person who says that they doubt that your pet got it at the vet. Yes, is your answer and if the dog was in the same room and yours was not vaccinated then yep. Even if you can't claim it buy the parvo vaccine at the feed store from their refrigerator and give all your dogs their shots before you take them to the vet at least a 2 week period prior to be safe.

Sorry, but this is a story a lot of folks have and the vet says sorry you didn't vaccinate first. The illnesses are there so protect you and your pet. even if the vet requires you give it again the pennies it cost at the feed store will save you the heartache.