Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

I save cleaned out glass jars to drain grease from frying bacon or hamburger. I keep it under the sink tightly capped and collect the grease until it's about full and then I discard the jar.

By Moanagroana

Answers:

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

Why dispose of bacon grease? Makes good seasoning for most vegetables. I keep it the year around in my refrigerator. (09/07/2004)

By Betty

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

I save the polyethylene bags supplied in supermarkets to put loose fruit and veg in, and use these to dispose of excess fat from sausages etc. I wipe it out of the cooking pan with a piece of kitchen paper and throw this away in the plastic bag too.

It avoids the problem of animals breaking into the rubbish sacks ("garbage" I believe, for you Americans!) when they are outside awaiting collection.

I am new today, and looking forward to a lot of interesting reading and useful tips on this site. I am in the UK so hope I don't offend anyone! (09/08/2004)

By econ o'miser

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

I do the same thing except I use old yogurt cups and unrecyclable plastic ware or cans like Pringles can or Cool Whip containers. Glass stuff I can recycle. (09/10/2004)

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

After we empty a butter bowl, I wash it up to use as our "grease keeper". I store it with the lid on it in the freezer. When it gets full, I just trash the entire thing. (08/22/2005)

By BrookesMommy

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

Bacon grease should not be disposed of but re-used with the same meal either as a sauce or spread. As it is a meat by-product, the grease can be stored fore several days in a fridge or several months in a freezer but do not mix it with other grease or fat products. If you are going to recycle the grease, do not pour or store it into a plastic container as a chemical reaction may occur - the plastic was never made to receive hot fats. Please use clean glass. (08/12/2006)

By Alan24

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

Just remember that bacon grease is saturated animal fat and needs to be balanced with other fats such as olive, and other vegetable oils.

I grew up on bacon grease in veggies and green beans with potatoes in a pot, just don't taste right without a bit of bacon grease cooked in.

However, we also have to care for our heart health and avoid obesity, so using other fats along with a bit of bacon is better. (08/15/2006)

By abqjudy

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

Does anyone have any USE for this stuff as opposed to just sending all this grease to a landfill? I hate to think of all of us just tossing this stuff out -- surely there must be some mutant maggots feeding off of this mess :) (02/29/2008)

By Monica

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

Hi Everyone, I have used bacon grease for years since the 70's. I have used it for many things like fried potatoes, depression gravy, veggies, fried eggs, and so on. Not good for you though but, oh! So good. Merry Christmas to all. (12/21/2008)

By Mary

pan for oil frying
Disposing of Cooking Oil and Grease
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
bacon in a package
Freezing Bacon
Small Bowl of Imitation Bacon
Substitutions For Bacon
Old Paint Can
Disposing of Old Paint
🎉
🎄