Uses for Bacon Grease

Category Meat
Frying bacon leaves you with extra fat that can be utilized for other things. This guide contains uses for bacon grease.

Cooking With Bacon Grease

I always save the grease from bacon to use for cooking and baking (even my teenagers and husband will save it!). Put the fresh hot liquid grease into a glass jar (a plastic containers will melt) and place a lid on it and stick it in your fridge.

When frying raw or cooked potatoes put some in the frying pan first, don't bother adding much more salt because the bacon grease has salt in it already. When cooking potatoes or vegetables the little bit of bacon grease I put into the water helps the foam from developing and boiling over and once again I don't add any more salt. When frying meat that doesn't have any "inside" fat such as chicken, deer or rabbit I use the bacon grease to coat the frying pan.

Any time that I make pancakes or waffles, I take my bacon grease out of the fridge and warm the jar in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, just enough to liquify the grease and use it instead of melted butter or margarine. Anytime that I need melted butter or oil in cooking or baking I ask myself whether the bacon grease would work.

When using it, you don't need to add any salt to your cooking or baking, it also gives a nice flavor to whatever dish you are preparing. It took about 15 years but I have finally about a year ago persuaded my sister-in-law that potatoes when boiling do NOT have to boil over each time and make a mess on her stove. A tsp. of bacon grease (she uses margarine) keeps the boiling in the pot only. Also, my mother-in-law grew up using the pure fat that comes when you cook a chicken in the oven. You need to freeze this fat. She would make cookies from it. I have also done so and you would never know that margarine was not used but rather chicken fat was.

By valleyrimgirl

It used to be that everything was fried in bacon grease. My in-laws used to keep a coffee can with the grease they got from frying bacon every morning. They boiled potatoes for one meal and fried them for the next, in bacon grease. I always liked fried potatoes with onion, slow fried in bacon grease. Of course the eggs were fried in it too. Some chopped raw bacon can be put in with fresh green beans when cooking. My in-laws kept the grease in the side of there stove, but I refrigerate mine.

By chml

Bacon grease is great for frying potatoes, eggs, flavoring muffins and cornbread, and for greasing pans, so save your bacon grease!

By Robin from Washington, IA

Freezing Bacon Grease

I have used bacon grease for frying the usual - potatoes, eggs and of course, in green beans. But I also use some when frying onions, mushrooms and green peppers for any reason (from sausage subs to a side for a steak meal).

I go to my market and purchase what is considered "bacon ends" (irregular slices from the ends of the slab) at about half price.

I then cut the slices in half. I fry the entire package which is usually about 2 lb.. all at one time, in batches. After the bacon has cooled, I wrap the strips in waxed paper and then in a freezer bag. When I need some bacon for blt's etc., it is already done.

The grease is first put into a glass bowl to cool down and then, when cool enough, I put it into a quart size freezer bag and sit it upright in my freezer so it freezes into a "log". When I need a tsp. or two, I slice it off and away I go.

By Norma

Bacon Grease and Cream Cheese Sauce

A great use for bacon grease. Add it into cream cheese and use it as a sauce to pour over vegetables. I like to use yellow squash.

By Sharon

A Little Bacon Grease for Dogs

If you're on a low carb lifestyle, like I am, you'll probably end up with a lot more bacon grease than you'll know what to do with. I keep it in a tin by the stove, like others suggested. I also drizzle a small amount on my dogs' food every day. Just mix it in. The dogs love it and I'm sure it gives their bland boring dog food a great bacon flavor. As well, the oil is great in keeping them regular and keeping their coats shiny.

By pookster

For Stove Top Popcorn

If you make your own popcorn on the stove, It tastes great popped in bacon grease. My grandmother always made it like this and we gobbled it up. Also pour a small amount on your dog's dry dog food. It's very good to keep their coat shiny.

By jeangnome46

Frying Steaks

I use about two tablespoons of bacon grease in a cast iron skillet and "fry" my steaks in it. Yum! I'm talking about t-bones to strip steak. It gives them a great flavor.

By Lynn Thomas

Leave a bit of bacon grease out in a bowl where you have an insect problem. They will be attracted to scent, go in, and get trapped in the thickness. I found this out by accident when I left bacon grease out on the counter. We had a flying insect problem... And now we don't! ;)

I'm sure you can use other animal fats. I'm really happy with this method. Discard the bug infested oil in the bin, not down the drain. :)

I don't cook much bacon, but I do cook a lot of ground beef. It seems like I should be able to use beef grease for anything that using bacon grease was suggested for, but I just wanted a 2nd opinion. What do you think?

By Nick

Answers

Yes, you can unless you want the bacon smell of the bacon. However, since neither of these are good for you, I'd limit the use of these.

Can you say, "unhealthy?" The only thing I'd use beef fat for are: making suet cakes for the birds and making old-fashioned lye soap.

Hamburger grease just isn't the same. 1) the flavor isn't as intense. 2) it's not as 'fatty' as bacon grease. It is good though for making gravy for a beef roast, soup base, stew flavoring and for quick pop overs (Yorkshire Pudding) without a Prime Rib.
Potatoes fried in beef grease are gross, as are eggs, etc. Live a little and procure some bacon grease. There's nothing like biscuits or cornbread using bacon grease as shortening.