Dog No Longer House Broken

We have a one-year old Weimeraner that we rescued several month ago from a home where he was unwanted and lived outdoors. We house trained him and had him neutered. He would whine when he needed to go outside.

Cold weather hit last week, and he suddenly is having daily "accidents" in the house while we're at home. Twice now he has peed on the carpet within 20 minutes of being brought in from outdoors. He didn't even whine to go outside. What happened? Did he suddenly decide it's too cold to pee outside so he prefers to pee in the warm house?

I'm very frustrated, and with a very challenging school semester coming up if we can't correct this soon he may have to go on to another home.

Kris from Omaha, NE

Answers:

Dog No Longer House Broken

I think you hit the nail on the head, it's cold out there. I had this problem with my little mini Doxie. I started taking her outside often and staying with her. She didn't seem to want to be out alone. When I saw her have an "accident" (not sure that's the right word) I would immediately take her out and we'd stay for a good while even thought she was probably finished.

Eventually she seemed to realize she was going to go out even if she didn't want to so she may as well do it outside and avoid my cold shoulder. I didn't spank or punish, but I wouldn't hold her for awhile after she wet my floor. When she did it outside I would clap and tell her how wonderful she was and I'd take her in and hold her and love her. She got rewarded for good instead of punished for bad. Seemed to work for us, but did take time and persistence. (11/29/2007)

By Glenn'sMom

Dog No Longer House Broken

Have you tried getting him vet checked for a urinary tract/bladder infection or kidney stones? (12/03/2007)

By Trish

Dog No Longer House Broken
A broken green dish in several pieces
Reusing Broken Dishes
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎄