Donating Blood

Category Community
Donating blood is one way you can help others. There is always a need for donations, especially during times of emergency. This is a guide about donating blood.

I have given blood off and on what seems like my whole adult life. I recently went to give blood, and they said that they couldn't take it because I had a right bundle branch block. My doctor said that that shouldn't be a problem in giving blood, and I got that cleared up and was able to donate.

Then, the other day, I couldn't donate because my pulse was 106. I didn't know that there was a restriction on giving, based on your pulse, but I found out that day. My tip is to donate blood while you can; you never know when your body will start falling apart and you won't be able to donate.

This kinda makes me sad, I've always felt compelled to donate blood, mainly because I am O-Negative. Only one in seven people have O-Negative blood. I will keep trying, and hope that today will be the day that I am eligible to donate blood. Please go and donate blood today.

And the next time you renew your driver's license, have them check "yes" for organ donor. Please renew life and give a gift to someone who desperately needs it.

By one.of.a.kind from AL

Whole blood donation is a wonderful thing. Other options inlcude platelet donation. Platelets are used by cancer patients, burn victims, and many other patients whose platelet count has been compromised. Platelet donation takes a bit longer. During the pheresis process, blood is taken from the donor, run through a machine that separates the platelets from the blood and then the blood is returned to the donor. It is a continuous cycle of drawing and returning blood to the donor. The process takes about an hour to an hour and a half. Unlike whole blood donation, platelet donation only takes one unit of platelets and one unit of plasma. Everything else is returned to the donor.

With whole blood dontation, the blood can be split into three components, thus the potential for helping three patients.

Whether you choose to donate whole blood, platelets, red blood cells or plasma, know that by giving a little of your time, you could be saving a life.

Two major holidays are coming up. They are the most traveled holidays in the USA. Before you go off to Grandmother's house for those wonderful dinners and family time, take a few minutes and drop by the blood bank and donate blood. Statistics show more people are killed every year on Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday traveling than any other time of the year. Your generous gift of blood could save someones life. Who knows it may save your life.

So please go give blood.

I'd like to also urge you to be an organ donor. The life you save through both of these services could be someone you love.

By Gem from VA

Usually one plans on giving blood at a certain time as to not endanger anyone. My point was give blood before the major holidays not hours before you are scheduled to leave. A lot of folks are flying at these times as well.

Folks just donate some blood a few days before the holidays.

Gem

I have a tip that might be a bit weird but works. I give blood a lot, but sometimes my iron is not up to par. So instead of going there and coming home because of iron too low, I bought a small can of red beets with the juice and put it in the fridge overnight.

On the morning of, I drank the juice, it was a bit bitter but worked. Next time I think I will put some sugar in it before I drink it. Sometimes women's iron is low because of hormones, etc. and I got tired of being sent home because of low iron.

By Barbara from Shoemakersville, PA

I just donated blood 3 days ago for the 66th time. There were times when my iron has been low also ... but think I have finally found a combination that helps! You know those little boxes of raisins that you can buy for kids snacks? The Red cross people told me to eat two of those boxes the day before giving blood, and two the morning of donating. They also said not to drink tea, as tea keeps your body from absorbing iron. I heard that it is really the caffeine, so much to my dismay, I stopped drinking tea, coffee, pop, AND CHOCOLATE, for about a week before donating blood. And even being in the middle of my "monthly", I had a good iron level this time!