Donating Fabric to Charity

I am looking for places or people who sew for charity to donate fabric to. I have a lot of cotton, cotton/poly blends, corduroy, flannel, washable rayon, fleece, and more that I want out of my house. My collection of fabric began in the 70s and went through last year. I would love to find a new home for it, not clutter a landfill. Thank you.

By Anniepandannie from CT

Answers:

Donating Fabric to Charity

I just donated a bunch of fabric to the local Senior center. They sew different items for charities. They also took some craft items and yarn and crochet type stuff.

You could call and see if your hospital has a hospital guild that has members that sew for charity. Or donate it to the high school or middle school for kids that can't afford fabric for their sewing projects for class.

You could donate it to Project Linus to make blankets for charity. Check for local chapters here:

projectlinus.org

OR check the listings here for other CT charities:

lionbrand.com

I am sure any church group would probably love to have fabric donations as well.
You could put it up on Freecycle as well or put an ad in your newspaper. Many papers let you list ads for free items at no ad cost. (12/21/2009)

By Kaelle

Donating Fabric to Charity

I have donated fabric to the local schools for the Home Economics/Family Consumer Science classes. It is amazing how excited the students were when they were showing off their finished projects, especially the boys. (12/31/2009)

By sdeal54

Donating Fabric to Charity

Also, please contact your local Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) or Disabled American Veterans, as they make many projects for Veterans living in Veteran Homes. One VFW in Ozark, MO make beautiful homemade quilts for home of unwed and underage girls. God Bless! (01/05/2010)

By meoowmom