Donating Used Stuffed Animals

Donating Used Stuffed Animals
It's good to give those extra stuffed friends a new purpose for someone who may need a buddy to hold. This guide is about donating used stuffed animals.

I have a lot of stuffed animals and would love to bless children that are in need with them and pray for them. I live in Chicagoland. Anyone know of a place? Thanks.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Donate: Battered women/children shelters, homeless family shelters, free medical clinics, etc.

Would like to donate like new stuffed animals to a charity to help homeless animals

Check your local police station. They keep them on hand to calm traumatized kids on site. Blessings to you for sharing.

Donationtown.org

I have a lot of stuffed animals my grandchildren do not play with and would like to donate them to some needy children in my area. Anyone know where I can donate these?

Ron from Warrington, PA

Our Goodwill will not take toys, and the hospital only wants brand new toys with tags. But I understand that Habitat for Humanity runns a transitional housing program for folks trying to get back on there feet. They would take them. I know that Salvation Army will as well. Some churches and police departments will but you have to call around.

The hospitals, nursing homes, daycare nurseries and preschools.

Police and Firemen like to have these to give to children who are victims.

Hi,

I live in forest hills, queens, so if you're near me, I can pick them up and I'll take care of mailing them out. Thank you. I noticed on your list that you have stuffed animals for free. I'm collecting them and sending them to a children's charity called Loving Hugs located in Littleton, CO.

I'm in New York city but I'm finding that if people can't find someone to take them they tend to throw them out (most places want them new, since it's an item that children become very close to).

Ii found out about them when I was randomly looking for a place to take my son's stuffed animals. While I was at it, I asked around and after a week had over 225 stuffed animals which are in 3 large boxes and ready to go out Mon. I had to pay shipping but it was fairly reasonable).

This organization will clean them and then donate them to children around the world. For more information, please click on the link below. Good luck

Thanks

Wendy L. Clark

Executive Director,

Loving Hugs, Inc.

www.lovinghugs.org

(303)948-0552

Hey, I'm MJ, I'm Iraqi Engineer, I work for the United States Army Corps of Engineers in Iraq, I supervise the infrastructure re-construction projects in Mosul city at Ninewa province. I visit the project sites all the time which are mostly located inside villiages (Mostly christian & Yezidy religion) villages where hundreds of kids are gathering around our trucks asking for gifts. Can you help me out with some stuffed animals? Kids will really appreciate it. I live in a US base and I have APO address. I will send you pictures frequently for the kids getting your stuffed animals once you start sending me those. Awaiting for your reply. email: muthnna.juma@gmail.com

I'm trying to contact the Iraqi Engineer so I can donate my daughters soft toys. I tried his e-mail and it did not work. Can anyone help me?

My daughter is turning 12 in April and no longer has the desire of looking at stuffed animals anymore. They have been sitting on several shelves,on canopies hanging from her ceiling and she just want to donate them. I work for the Salvation Army, but they won't accept stuffed animals. I don't want to throw them out due to them never being used.If someone can tell me where to donate them in Philadelphia PA I would greatly appreciate it. I have all different sizes.

I am with SAFE. They collect stuffed animals for needy kids. There are chapters all over the US. Here is the link www.stuffedanimalsforemergencies.org

Hi, my name is Edmay Mayers and I was deployed with the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), GRS in Tallil, Iraq (near the town of Nasiriyah) for 22 months from Nov 05 to Sep 07. I started a program for the children of Iraq with the help of Ash Dornfest, Parenthacks.com. She and I were in contact and she called the program "Spread the Word." We recieved so many toys, school supplies, shoes and clothes for the children of Iraq that I was given a conex to store them in. The people were so generous and kind. I left GRS in Sep of 2007. Friends of mine, Mike Fellenz and a few others took over the program for me. It is still ongoing in the South (GRS) and Mike has taken it to Mosul. I have now returned to Iraq and am deployed for USACE, GRN in Kirkuk, Iraq. I certainly would love to have the program started here too. So, if anyone could possibly spare some "gently" used toys, clothes or whatever items, the children of Kirkuk would certainly appreciate it.

My address is: Edmay P. Mayers, USACE-GRN-KAO, FOB-Warrior-Kirkuk, APO, AE 09359.

Thank you and God bless. /Edmay

Profile under Kacismaymay

I am the director of the Teddy Bear Brigade a program of Gleaning for the World, a 501c.3 non-profit located in Central VA. We accept new and gently used stuffed animals for distribution as humanitarian aid or disaster relief to children in developing countries. For more information visit our website at http://gftw.org  ddybearbrigade/. Stuffed animals can be shipped to our warehouse at:

Gleaning for the World

Att: Teddy Bear Brigade

7539 Stage Road / P.O. Box 645

Concord, VA 24538

Thanks, Chris Ellis

Where can I donate stuffed animals? I want to give them to kids who have lost some they love or have been placed in a new home. They are animals that my dad has won in claw games. My mom has passed and he has five girls; we are 40 and over. We just want to see them to go to a places were they can help someone smile, even if it's just for a minute or two. Thank you.

By PMJ

I have donated these to the Toys for Tots programs, provided they still have their tags and don't smell musty or anything. Try that perhaps?

If they are new looking and free of soil, cigarette smoke, etc. find a group who is packing shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child. Most people pack their boxes in November.

If they need a wash put them in a zip up cloth pillow cover and throw them in the washer on gentle wash and toss in the dryer. It is important to put them in this bag to insure one doesn't open and ruin your machine or dryer. Then let them air for a few days to make sure they are dry clear through. You can cut the tags off.

Replace the ribbons if they are tattered. Must look new. I do this every year for donated small stuffed animals and take 3-4 hundred to the processing center and they go into the boxes for children all over the world to enjoy.

In my area the police use them to give to children at crime scenes/fires to hep calm them down.

Contact your state foster care bureau and deliver some to them.

Here is a google search with lots of ideas. I live in Henderson which is near Las Vegas NV. There is a charity called "Teddy Vegas" They take any stuffed animal donation and clean it if it is used then they give them to the police, firefighters, hospitals with terminally ill children so they can be handed out to kids in crisis. It's such a blessing to give to someone in need.

http://www.goog  1600&bih=693

Your local women's shelter would likely be glad to have them for the scared and confused children there.

I have tons of stuffed animals, but was wishing I could hand deliver them to children who are sick, or have been in traumatic situations. It would bring me such joy to see the smiles on the children's faces when I hand them a wonderful stuffed animal. I have collected these stuffed animals over the years. I also have a huge collection of Beanie Babies and Beanie Buddies. Where is it possible for me to do that, and when would be a good time? I live in Burlington, Washington. I would love it if I could take it to Seattle Children's Hospital, but it is too far away from us now. Does anyone know of a place in Mount Vernon, or Burlington, WA that I could take the stuffed animals and deliver them in person? Does Skagit Valley Hospital have place I could take them? Please let me know.

By Kristen

A word of caution, some kids are allergic to stuffed animals. But I agree it would fun to brighten a scary situation. Also have you thought of giving to a domestic abuse center or to an orphanage or to a daycare or churches! God bless you for being so thoughtful!

My advice would be to call the Fire and Police Departments in your area and ask them. I know that some police officers carry stuffed animals in the trunks of their cars to give to traumatized children in bad situations. You could call Seattle Children's and ask if they know of any places up in the Burlington area where you could donate.

Women and children's shelters would welcome them. So many time women have to grab their kids and get to a safe place with only what they are wearing. A sweet stuffed animal would go a long way in calming a scared child.

Thank you for doing that... It will mean a lot to some very deserving kids and their families.

Hi - yours is a noble cause but sadly, most hospitals can only accept new toys.

However, all of the other suggestions are great and your gifts would still be going to a child in need.

You can call them or yes, donate to the police. Kids who have lost someone to an accident, violence or a trauma love and need them. That is where I sometimes give just after I have purchased them from a yard sale and/or thrift shop. I wash them and do the "sniff test" (this nose knows ciggies and kitties a mile away). Some Febreez and a day in the open air and they are ready to give a kid something to hold.

I hope this helps.

PBP

I have loads of gently used stuffed animals. I would like to donate them, any thoughts as to a local place to turn? I live in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Try family & homeless shelters, women's trauma shelters, police & fire stations-good for kids in a traumatic situation, hospitals, etc.

I have a bunch of stuffies I would like to donate.

By Dottie

Many larger organizations are prohibited from accepting "preowned" stuffed animals as it is considered a "health" hazard. You will have to find someone like Goodwill, Salvation Army and local small charities to accept these.

I live in a suburb of Nashville, Tennessee and would like to donate between 50-100 new stuffed animals/toys to an organization that can distribute them to needy kids. I am willing to deliver to any county adjacent to Davidson County.

By PD

I live in Florida but we are able to donate NEW stuffed toys to our local hospitals. These are usually given to children when it seems appropriate - especially at Christmas.

I believe our Lion's club also does something like this so maybe you could check with one of these for advice.

I would like to donate some gently used stuffed animals. Where can I donate them?

Natasha from Columbus, OH

Answers:

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

Our local police department takes bears. (11/06/2008)

By Diana

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

I heard a doctor speak on tv about giving stuffed animals. He said to first put them in a plastic bag, then put the bag in the freezer for a day or two. That should take care of any germs, mites, etc. (11/06/2008)

By ROBERT

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

I'm sure the Salvation Army, your local battered women's shelter, or homeless shelter would be more than grateful to have those stuffed animals. There's nothing more likely to bring a smile to the face of a distressed child. (11/06/2008)

By JustPlainJo

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

Since you live in Columbus, try Children's Hospital.
(11/07/2008)

By jwrh626

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

Plenty of good advice, but you may also want to call around to animal shelters. Lots of them will take small stuffed animals as chew toys for pets awaiting new homes. (11/09/2008)

By tahlula

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

Operation Christmas Child is getting shoe boxes together right now. Police stations put them in their cars for children who are victims of crimes. (11/09/2008)

By sandy63

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

When children are accident victims, or somehow involved in an emergency situation with the police, it is so great for the policeman/woman to have a stuffed animal to give them. (11/09/2008)

By Toebeanie

I am looking for places to donate used stuffed animals. My kids love them and always ask for them for holidays, birthdays, etc. I have tried to ask people not to get them new ones, but the kids love them and some people can't NOT get them new animals. I weed out the collection when they're not home, and have a couple of garbage bags full of animals that they have forgotten about. They're in good shape, and I am sure that some children would love to have them.

Does anyone have any ideas of places that I can donate them? Last year we donated them to a local church, and they seemed stunned (overwhelmed) by the amount, so I need a couple of different places to give them to. Any ideas? I don't know of any shelters nearby, and I don't want to pay to send them somewhere.

Mary Kay McCann from Marengo, IL

Answers:

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

Try police and fire departments for kids of crime or fires in homes, a stuffed animal is a good comfort for them. Also, animal shelters use stuffed animals for kittens and puppies that have lost their mom's early on, the soft squishy thing in the corner is as close to a warm mommy as they can get. Homeless shelters and battered shelters are good, sometimes children leave their homes at a moments notice, with nothing to be able to bring with them. You might also try freecycle, you can weed out the people who respond and give to a worthy cause.

Make sure they are clean and look new, nothing makes someone who is down on their luck feel worse, than a grungy used item. Not saying that they are, it's just a blanket statement. I've experienced having "less than" and it's not a good feeling to have to take "charity" let alone charity that is gross.

Good luck and bless you for thinking of others instead of just donating right away. (02/25/2007)

By michawnpita

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

The churches are a good place, some have fall festivals or vacation bible schools that require prizes. A local shelter would be another idea. (02/27/2007)

By

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

I wonder if the hospitals may take them? They will take toys here at the hospitals. There again they need to be clean I would think. Try calling a few of them. (02/27/2007)

By

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

In our area the ambulance service collects them to give to children who are scarred by some trauma or emergency close at hand. (02/27/2007)

By Beverly

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

I donate my girls stuffies they no longer want to a home for the Elderly. They use them as prizes for bingo etc. (02/27/2007)

By melfrmny

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

The Church of the Nazarene makes "Crises Care Kits" that are given to people in need. They include a small stuffed animal (think beany baby size) in each kit. You can call a local church and ask if they need them. Loretta (02/27/2007)

By LorettaB

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

I have given stuffed animals to policemen. They give them to children who are victims or kids of criminals, just call your police station. (02/27/2007)

By sandy63

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

That is great that you are wanting to donate them to charity. I have a suggestion but don't know if they have it in your area. You can look them up online. They are called Newborns in Need. A girlfriend in Wyoming is Vice President of her chapter and they get all they can find that are clean and kept up.

Good luck. (02/27/2007)

By Michele

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

My brother is on a fire department and he said they use stuffed animals all the time to give to kids. If no one will donate them they have to buy them and that takes away from their equipment budget. So call your local fire department! (02/27/2007)

By starxmn

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

I usually wash and dry them and put them in a nice big bag with a fabric softener sheet and donate them to the goodwill, definitely some children will get them, also we have a church operated thrift shop that are always in need of anything. (02/27/2007)

By dameemag

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

I know this has already been suggested but donate them to the Fire Dept./EMS. My girls were involved in a serious accident when they were younger and they were both given stuffed animals. My older daughter still has hers 5 years later and remembers being given it by the EMS in the hospital. (02/28/2007)

By Ann

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

I work with the mentally retarded. They are quite fond of stuffed animals. Consider calling your county board of mental retardation/developmental disabilities. They could probably also accept other items. (03/01/2007)

By crazypete

Donating Used Stuffed Animals

Project Night Night takes used stuffed animals BUT they have to be in VERY good condition - check out their website:
http://www.projectnightnight.org/
(06/05/2008)

By Yetzer

SAFE

There are a lot of good suggestions here http://www.ehow.com/how_2129559_.html

(10/07/2008)

By Addie