Drawer and Shelf Liner Ideas

Category Helpful Hints
There are many products that can be used to line drawers and shelves, in addition to those sold for this purpose. This is a guide about drawer and shelf liner ideas.

If you are looking for an economical, durable way to line your cabinets and drawers, then I would suggest the self-adhesive floor tiles you can purchase at local dollar stores. The material is easily cut with scissors and easy to apply. It also cleans easily with a wet rag when needed. Since it comes in different colors, it is easy to match your decor. The best part is that it lasts for years, but can easily be removed if needed.

By onesoutherngal from MS

What a great idea. It even sounds clean.

I don't know how all the crumbs get into my kitchen drawers. It seems like I'm always taking everything out of the drawers, dumping the crumbs, and wiping them clean - and replacing the liner! Well, one of those great ideas out of nowhere popped into my brain the other day: plastic canvas sheets!

I went to my craft room and got a few pieces of it. Cutting it to size was so easy. Measure, and cut on the convenient line. One sheet wasn't enough, but cutting what I needed to cover the drawer completely was really simple. You can buy it in several different colors, so it looks good. Crumbs fall through the spaces, and the canvas keeps everything off of them.

It's really easy to wash. It's cheap, and it will last forever. You can buy it at any craft store, and a lot of other places like Walmart. You can buy it one sheet at a time, or in packs. No more cutting paper or sticky back paper to size, no more replacing it every little bit.

Use linoleum leftovers to line your sink base cabinet and oven drawer for easier cleanup. You can even use linoleum pieces in cabinets instead of shelf paper so spills can be cleaned up easily.

By Sallyd from Pottsville, PA

I had my kitchen remodeled and used peel and stick linoleum tiles to line all of my drawers and cabinets. They are very easy to keep clean and never need to be changed. I found the tiles at the dollar store, so it was very inexpensive.

Use wax paper to line your kitchen shelves instead of buying expensive shelf liner paper. It's easy and cheap!

I put non adhesive shelf liner on shelves, especially in medicine cabinet and cabinets where I store kitchen glasses. This helps keep wooden cabinets from bubbling if items are put in with water on them.

A chest of drawers with clothing in them.

Scented drawer liner paper keeps your clothes smelling wonderful. Buying it can be expensive and you may not find a fragrance you like, so make your own. This is a guide about how to make your own scented drawer liner paper.

What can I use to line dresser drawers, instead of buying expensive drawer liner?

By Maplesugar

Best Answer

You can find inexpensive (read cheap:) shelf liner and contact paper at the dollar stores.

You can also cut up old bed sheets to fit the drawers, or use tea towels. The advantage is that your stored items don't 'slosh' around in the drawer, and you can take the fabric out and run it through the wash when it's got grungy.

People used to use newspaper in kitchen cabinets. You could also use gift wrapping paper, either new or used. A lot of time right after Christmas you can get the Christmas paper really cheap.

Anonymous

Contact paper. It's pretty cheap and waterproof also.

One great idea is to use leftover wallpaper. If you don't have any, you can get rolls of discontinued patterns cheaply at paint stores, home stores, etc. They might even let you have discontinued wallpaper books. The pages are big enough for most drawers.

Another idea is old maps. Some local phone books come with maps of local towns; if you save them every year, the older ones can be recycled for shelf or drawer liner.

Wallpaper. I went to Sherwin Williams and got a roll of wallpaper on sale for $1.99. Enough to do all my kitchen cabinets. If it is prepasted just cut it to fit and wet the back and it glues right down. Odd lots also has wallpaper discounted and also I found some at the local thrift store.

Has anyone ever tried to line drawers with wrapping paper or wall paper? If so, I'd like to know how well it worked. I have been trying to find suitable drawer liners, but the only ones I found are adhesive or rubberized which are expensive for lining a lot of drawers.

By Zerubabel from Covington, KY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have drawers and cabinets lined for many years with wallpaper. It's great! Easy to wipe up, too. Lay it out, measure, cut, re-roll in opposite direction and lay down - don't glue! I used leftover paper - bought way too much! Enjoy!

I lined my drawers and cabinets in my kitchen about 10 years ago with wallpaper, and it still looks great! Linda :o)

Believe it or not, I used cheap floor tiles from the dollar store to line my kitchen drawers, cabinets, bathroom vanity, dresser drawers, linen closet shelves, etc. I got the no wax oak for my kitchen and bedroom, no wax marbelized for my bathroom and linen closet and when a spill or drip occurs in the bathroom it just wipes up like a charm. I will never use shelving paper, wallpaper or wrapping paper again.

Anonymous

Yes use it all the time. I use gift paper from hobby lobby. They have beautiful colors and patterns.

Yes, it will! Roaches love to eat the glue! That's why I'm looking for an alternative that doesn't involve adhesive products.