Drawer and Shelf Liner Ideas

There are many products that can be used to line drawers and shelves, in addition to those sold for this purpose. This is a guide about drawer and shelf liner ideas.

June 13, 2011 Flag

If you are looking for an economical, durable way to line your cabinets and drawers, then I would suggest the self-adhesive floor tiles you can purchase at local dollar stores. The material is easily cut with scissors and easy to apply. It also cleans easily with a wet rag when needed. Since it comes in different colors, it is easy to match your decor. The best part is that it lasts for years, but can easily be removed if needed.

By onesoutherngal from MS

I love this idea. I wonder why silly me never thought of it but thanks for letting me know 'I really do not know everything' in a nice informative way, ha!

A long time ago I had wall to wall vinyl put in my kitchen. The installer told us to use the extras to line our drawers with it. and should we ever need to repair the floor-we would have the exact match of vinyl to use. another place to use sticky tiles is under the kitchen sink or if not sticky buy a piece of vinyl-measure under the sink and just lay it down-that's what I did, use baskets-put cleaning supplies in-when you have to clean under the sink, pull out baskets, wipe vinyl, easy, easy. joanie

What a great idea. It even sounds clean.

Great idea! Your screen name should be oneSMARTsoutherngal. I will be doing this fairly soon. Thanks a bunch!

C Mutch

February 8, 2011 Flag

Look for discontinued wall paper. You can use it for shelf liner.

January 22, 2012 Flag

What can I use to line dresser drawers, instead of buying expensive drawer liner?

By Maplesugar

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You can find inexpensive (read cheap:) shelf liner and contact paper at the dollar stores.

You can also cut up old bed sheets to fit the drawers, or use tea towels. The advantage is that your stored items don't 'slosh' around in the drawer, and you can take the fabric out and run it through the wash when it's got grungy.

People used to use newspaper in kitchen cabinets. You could also use gift wrapping paper, either new or used. A lot of time right after Christmas you can get the Christmas paper really cheap.

Contact paper. It's pretty cheap and waterproof also.

One great idea is to use leftover wallpaper. If you don't have any, you can get rolls of discontinued patterns cheaply at paint stores, home stores, etc. They might even let you have discontinued wallpaper books. The pages are big enough for most drawers.

Another idea is old maps. Some local phone books come with maps of local towns; if you save them every year, the older ones can be recycled for shelf or drawer liner.

Wallpaper. I went to Sherwin Williams and got a roll of wallpaper on sale for $1.99. Enough to do all my kitchen cabinets. If it is prepasted just cut it to fit and wet the back and it glues right down. Odd lots also has wallpaper discounted and also I found some at the local thrift store.

April 24, 2010 Flag

Has anyone ever tried to line drawers with wrapping paper or wall paper? If so, I'd like to know how well it worked. I have been trying to find suitable drawer liners, but the only ones I found are adhesive or rubberized which are expensive for lining a lot of drawers.

By Zerubabel from Covington, KY

I've never tried this but it sounds beautiful, and I think you'd only have to cut the paper to fit the drawers. The thing I worry about is the paste on the back of the paper. Would the glue attract bugs? I don't even know if they use paste anymore. Good Luck!

I have drawers and cabinets lined for many years with wallpaper. It's great! Easy to wipe up, too. Lay it out, measure, cut, re-roll in opposite direction and lay down - don't glue! I used leftover paper - bought way too much! Enjoy!

I lined my drawers and cabinets in my kitchen about 10 years ago with wallpaper, and it still looks great! Linda :o)

Believe it or not, I used cheap floor tiles from the dollar store to line my kitchen drawers, cabinets, bathroom vanity, dresser drawers, linen closet shelves, etc. I got the no wax oak for my kitchen and bedroom, no wax marbelized for my bathroom and linen closet and when a spill or drip occurs in the bathroom it just wipes up like a charm. I will never use shelving paper, wallpaper or wrapping paper again.

Yes use it all the time. I use gift paper from hobby lobby. They have beautiful colors and patterns.

April 15, 2014 Flag

I don't know how all the crumbs get into my kitchen drawers. It seems like I'm always taking everything out of the drawers, dumping the crumbs, and wiping them clean - and replacing the liner!

July 12, 2005 Flag

Use wax paper to line your kitchen shelves instead of buying expensive shelf liner paper. It's easy and cheap!

March 26, 2007 Flag
Use linoleum leftovers to line your sink base cabinet and oven drawer for easier cleanup. You can even use linoleum pieces in cabinets instead of shelf paper so spills can be cleaned up easily.

July 29, 2004 Flag

How do I make scented drawer liner paper? Any one with any ideas other than fabric softener sheets?

Tracey from Ohio

What about getting the almost empty rolls of newspaper print from your local newspaper for a few dollars and spray with your favorite cologne after cutting to the size of your drawer. I've been using the same partial roll for 5 years.

I've never made any scented drawer liners before, but I've used scented bath soaps in my lingerie drawers, as well as the tear out pages of cologne samples found in magazines. Best of luck!

Choose some beautiful heavy duty wrapping paper and make a mixture of essential oil and water - about 1 to 2 ratio - in a small spray container. You can experiment with this to get the right amount of scent. Spray this on your paper until just damp, then let dry completely. Roll up and tie with a festive ribbon for a gift or line your drawers and enjoy the beautiful fragrance and look of the wrapping paper.

Similar to Roberta's idea, but use cheap wallpaper. The cheaper the better, it's more absorbant, and you can find it in tons of fun patterns

A friend of mine lines all of her drawers with plain copy paper. She Puts in the drawers, lays it out to size and tapes it together. Simple and neat. Then I would think spraying it with scented linen water would be great. I'm planning a move and I'm going to "start fresh" myself!!

Home and Garden Home Improvement Helpful HintsJune 25, 2013
Panty Liners
Cleaning a Stuck Panty Liner From Clothing
Drawer Liner
Uses for Drawer Liner
Opening a Stuck Drawer
Opening a Stuck Drawer
🎉
🎄