DIY Dry Laundry Soap for $20 a Year

A box of baking soda and borax.
You can save a lot of money by making your own laundry powder. This page contains a recipe for DIY dry laundry soap for $20 a year.

Buy these ingredients at the dollar store. You will only need 2 tablespoons per load of laundry.

Materials

Instructions

First grate your soap, then mix all ingredients together. I used two garbage bags doubled up. Tie well and shake all your ingredients around a few times. Put into a container with a lid.

You can add 1-2 containers of fabric softener crystals into the mix for a nice smell.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Anonymous
Top Comment

My first load was tried on my son's clothes. He works at a fast food resteraunt. Not only are the clothes clean but no fast food smell. even his stinky socks are clean. Thank you so much for sharing

Top Comment

This is the same recipe that I use but add essential oils for the smell! Love this!

By the way, the washing soda is found in the same section as laundry soaps in larger stores. The washing soda box will have other ways to use it around your home.

I might have to try this. There are less ingredients to screw up my septic system.

What size of Oxyclean do you use?? You just say 2 containers.

Is that regular baking soda in the box. I have never heard of washing soda. Also does it work with the front loader HE detergent washers?

Again, what size container of Oxyclean? Would love to try this but want to make it right.

Would like to know what size of Oxiclean?

This sounds like a good recipe but the question about how much Oxiclean to use has never been answered and since this was originally posted in 2012?

Maybe someone who has tried making this could post their recipe and include how much Oxiclean they used?

Super washing soda 3lb 7 oz; Borax 4lb 12oz; pure baking soda 4lb; Oxy-Clean 1.3lb; 3 bars soap (I used Ivory) & I used Downey 28 oz crystals.

I was making this for a while. But I wash in a mini washer. I don't know if it will melt down the soap. I will buy the borax just in case. I don't wash a lot so I use gain. But a year worth of soap would be better. I made this in one afternoon. I just have no idea where to find a container that big for my small unit to store.