Dyeing Suede Shoes

Renewing or changing the color of this leather can be a challenge to maintain the suede texture. This is a guide about dyeing suede shoes.

December 7, 2014 Flag

I have light brown suede boots. Can I put shoe polish on them to make them black?

By Karen K.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I cannot really answer your question but I can say that my granddaughter (teenager) put some shoe polish on a pair of suede boots and the dye "took" but the suede was GONE - the boots now look almost like regular leather.

Have you thought of having this done at a shoe repair shop? May be expensive but I think they use a spray dye. This spray may be available to buy but I have not seen it.

I believe you can dye suede, but not with shoe polish. Shoe polish will ruin them (See the previous poster's experience.). I don't know if this is the sort of thing that you want to try at home. It could ruin your boots.

December 1, 2009 Flag

I have a pair of Ugg boots that are light brown, and I want to dye them charcoal gray. Is that possible? How would I be able to do it at home?

Erin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is my advise....Ugg's are expensive, keep them the color they are. Light brown is a neutral color and I'm sure you'll have use for them in the future. You can get Ugg look a likes for a fraction of the price. If you do deside to color them please remember that in winter ground is wet with snow and salt (sometimes a chemical is put in the road to melt ice). Keep in mind as nice as they may turn out, getting any of these things on them might change the color in spots. Also, if you do dye them each boot might be a little off, two different shades. Hope this can help, good luck with whatever you do!

October 24, 2005 Flag

My brown suede boots are looking faded in the creases. Does anyone know how to restore the color? I have seen dyes to restore smooth leather shoes but nothing to improve the color of suede.

Thank you,
Julia from UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try Meltonian Suede Renew, you can find it on the web. It is about $7.99 a can and it is available in a variety of colors.

Hope this helps!

Thank you I will try Meltonian Suede Renew.

For anyone who stumbles across this thread as I have, I found this product a few places for around $5 USD

Like here:

http://www.fort  .asp?prodID=5713

and here:

http://www.feet  ;Product_Count=0

February 15, 2012 Flag

My navy blue suede boots are losing their color. Can they be dyed?

By RH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, they can be dyed, but often when people try to dye suede shoes themselves, the results are not so good. I would advise having them dyed professionally.

May 20, 2012 Flag

Can I dye red suede flip flops black?

By D.R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 1, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know how to dye suede shoes? I have a pair of bright blue suede loafers that somehow look like bedroom slippers. I would like to change them to brown or even red. Please help.

PatsAZ from Arizona, in the Desert

Answers:

Dying Suede Shoes Cream

If you use bleach to remove the present color, the suede will probably turn yellow brownish. Perhaps if you use a product that the silk painter uses to remove color it might do a better job. Try contacting Rainbow Silks in England. They carry all the products needed for fabric painting and dying. Tell them your problem, perhaps they can help. A friend of mine used fabric paint on her shoes and had set it with a hair dryer. (04/04/2005)

By Janette Budnark

Dying Suede Shoes

I checked in with our local leather and saddle shop a while back with the same question. I was told there is no way to do it and have it come out looking good. They checked and could find no solution.

Good luck, and by all means let us know if you find a way. (01/14/2007)

By patsAZ

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair ClothingDecember 15, 2014
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Pink wedding shoes.
Dyeing Wedding Shoes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Suede Boots
Cleaning Suede Boots
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 3:09:23 PM on 10.0.0.27 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.