Easy Homemade Chicken Stock

Vote for this contest contender!

I never throw out the scraps and bones from my roast chickens. I always turn them into a delicious, hearty chicken stock. This tastes so much better than canned or boxed broth, and also ends up being way cheaper!

1. Break up the chicken carcass into smaller portions. In a large pot over medium-high heat, place the chicken parts, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, parsley salt, pepper. Add enough water to cover the chicken.
  2. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce heat to a slow simmer. Do not cover the pot. Let simmer for 60 to 90 minutes. The longer it goes, the richer the flavour.
  3. Remove from heat and carefully strain the stock through a mesh sieve. The chicken stock can be refrigerated up to 3 days. If you won't be using it in 3 days, put it in the freezer until ready to use.
  4. Ad

Hello After it cools I then put it in the refrigerator over night and let the grease jell. The next morning I take and pull all of the grease off of it and thro the grease away. I keep what I am going to use out in the frig and freeze the rest.

Love it. I use the grease to cook. Call me greedy! :)

I do the same. I also do this after Thanksgiving with the turkey carcass. My mother taught me well. I do throw out the fat that accumulates on top after refrigeration, however. In Eastern European Jewish cooking, this fat is saved and called rendered chicken fat. One dish it is used in is chopped liver. You fry the liver and onions in it. You can buy the fat in little plastic tubs in stores that cater to this population.