Sewing MachinesMachines

Embroidery Machine Not Picking Up Bottom Thread

I have just purchased a second hand Brother embroidery machine, it's a Disney one and it didn't come with thread, but my sister gave me a few spools that are for machine embroidery, but the machine doesn't seem to be doing any stitches, it's like it isn't picking up the bottom thread. Do you have to use certain threads and am I doing something wrong? I have checked about three times that I have it threaded correctly and don't see anything wrong. Help please.

By Clove

The machine bobbin gear is worn out - might be why it was for sale or give-away.

However, a worn bobbin gear isn't terribly expensive. You need to have a qualified repair tech replace the worn part, and for a small sum more, he/she will go over the machine to clean, oil, and check for anything else needing attention. Worth the less than $100 USD it should cost for a Brother machine.

Now, if this is a computerised model, it's still probably the bobbin gear but may cost you a whopping lot more to have restored to working condition.

It's worth a visit to the repair tech to find out for sure - be sure to tell the tech you want an estimate of costs before making any repairs. The check may cost you, be sure to ask how much to find out what's wrong so you don't have a surprise.