Embroidery Machine Will Not Pick Up Bottom Thread

I changed the needle, rethreaded top and bottom, and used the proper thread. For some reason the bobbin case does not move enough for the needle to catch the thread. It stopped picking up the thread in the middle of an embroidery job and has not worked since. Any ideas? It is a White 3300 embroidery machine.

By Gretta from Wayne, OK

Sounds like you broke a thread and a piece is stuck somewhere (or did it break a needle). Also it will do that if when you rethreaded it you missed or put one in the wrong hole. I have had mine l6 years and still get the threading program wrong at times. And I have had to do others who have done the same thing. If you thread it wrong around a looper it won't pick up. Take your book out and make sure all is threaded going in the right places at right time. They do seem to have a mind of their own don't they?

January 22, 2015 Flag

I have just purchased a second hand Brother embroidery machine, it's a Disney one and it didn't come with thread, but my sister gave me a few spools that are for machine embroidery, but the machine doesn't seem to be doing any stitches, it's like it isn't picking up the bottom thread. Do you have to use certain threads and am I doing something wrong? I have checked about three times that I have it threaded correctly and don't see anything wrong. Help please.

By Clove

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The machine bobbin gear is worn out - might be why it was for sale or give-away.

However, a worn bobbin gear isn't terribly expensive. You need to have a qualified repair tech replace the worn part, and for a small sum more, he/she will go over the machine to clean, oil, and check for anything else needing attention. Worth the less than $100 USD it should cost for a Brother machine.

Now, if this is a computerised model, it's still probably the bobbin gear but may cost you a whopping lot more to have restored to working condition.

It's worth a visit to the repair tech to find out for sure - be sure to tell the tech you want an estimate of costs before making any repairs. The check may cost you, be sure to ask how much to find out what's wrong so you don't have a surprise.

June 16, 2012 Flag

I just got a new to me/used Brother embroidery machine. When I took it out it was just fine, but after a few tines of embroidering with it, now I can't get it to pick up the bottom thread. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

By Joann from Pawpaw, WV

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There may just be a bit of thread-fuzz down in the bobbin area. Something simple like that often throws things off with any kind of sewing of embroidery machine. I've lost hours of work trying to figure out what was wrong and found that the top thread had come out of just one area that didn't show up.

Sometimes you can fix a problem like this just by removing your thread spool and the bobbin completely, clean all areas around both bobbin and upper thread paths with a small sewing machine brush or paintbrush, and re-thread it all again with thread you know to be good. Hope you find what's the matter, it's so disheartening, I know.

Embroidery Machine
Troubleshooting an Embroidery Machine
Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesJune 16, 2011
closeup of sewing machine needle
Free Motion Embroidery Ideas
Punch Needle Embroidery
Punch Needle Embroidery Tips and Tricks
Red Sewing Thread
Crocheting With Sewing Thread
🎉
🎄