Emergency Container for Carsick Kids

This is a helpful tip when children become ill either when traveling or at home. Save empty large soft margarine tubs. Take a plastic Ziploc type storage bag and insert in the margarine tab folding down the top of the bag all around the tub. Place some folded paper towels in the bottom. If your child becomes car sick, he/she can use the tub/storage bag to throw up in. Then when done, all that needs to be done is zip up the bag and throw it away.

This works well at home too if your child is sick. Your child can have a tub/storage bag container in his bed, which will alleviate the need to get up to run to bathroom and hang over a toilet which cannot be too sanitary. It also alleviates a lot of mess. We used this "trick" for our kids when they were growing up, and my husband and I use it for ourselves too.

By Sally from Pittsburgh

While I appreciate the fact that getting carsick is not fun, zipping it up at home or on the road and throwing it away is awful. Think of the poor person that is picking up the trash and maybe something punctures the bag.

I'm all for the bowl at home, I've never like throwing up in the toilet, so I can plastic or metal sealed garbage cans in all rooms, just in case! If a kid is feeling ill they know they can dump trash on the ground and use the can, (or the bowl if it's been a long night!) and then I dump into the toilet where it can be disposed of. I then wash in the tub/shower and spray with Lysol or alcohol.

I thought this was a great idea. After all, people put dog waste in plastic bags (hopefully) and throw them out, what's the difference?

Michawnpita, I am sure Sally never meant that one would toss this bag out in the ditch! It would go in the garbage. I personally just use plastic ice cream pails for this purpose, with perhaps a little toilet tissue in the bottom for the splash issue. Then this all can be flushed and rinsed out. I can see if you anticipated a long trip and much carsickness, that the plastic bag might simplify things, as the ill person might have more than one session of upset!

When my oldest son was a child he could not look at a moving car (or plane or train...lol) without losing his lunch. I kept a square bucket from an old dehumidifier in the car for years. It was flat bottomed & the square shape kept it from moving around too much. I lined it with paper towel to prevent splash & flushed it & washed it when I got home. We also went the zipper bag route when we were out of town or the bucket was inconvenient. I would routinely dispose of the soiled bag in public restrooms & did not think it was much different than disposing of a used diaper or sanitary pad. Thankfully he eventually grew out of this like I did when I was his age.

God Bless.

Trish in CT

Pringles can.
Uses for Pringles Cans
Parenting General Parenting AdviceJune 29, 2011
Emergency Reflector
Make Your Own Emergency Reflectors
Prepare your home for an emergency.
Preparing For Emergency Situations
Dog looking sad.
Emergency Preparedness Tips for Pet Owners
Preparing Your Car for an Emergency, Photo of a car emergency kit.
Preparing Your Car for an Emergency
🎉
🎄