Feeding a Dog Chicken

Some dog owners like to supplement their pet's food with cooked meat, such as chicken. This is a guide about feeding a dog chicken.

December 29, 2011 Flag

Is it OK to feed my Labrador cooked chicken breast once a week for added protein?

By Sharon from Nashville, TN

Best Answer

Chicken meat is fine for dogs. But be sure and completely de-bone it first, and take as much of the skin off as possible. Chicken bones splinter really easily (as do other bones) and should not be given to the dog, or cat for that matter.

If you're giving it to him simply for extra protein, there's no need as long as he is on a good quality food. I give it to mine periodically as a special treat.

I have also found that we have fewer health issues and no vet bills since feeding 'real' food (the past 9 years).

However I do feed the bones. I feel they would eat them if they hunted on their own so they probably require them. I got this from my grandfather who would boil up a chicken leg for his little feather duster of a dog every night for dinner. I asked him about the bones and he said that if they are boiled they do not splinter. This seems true enough for chicken but not turkey. So I don't give them turkey bones.

I also give mine a nice big hunk of raw meat on a bone (beef or pork). I have found that the cooked (baked or oven roasted) do seem to splinter but the raw or boiled do not.

I also buy fish on sale (whole fish) boil them up and drop them in a dish. Some fish, they eat the bones. Other fish they do not. It is interesting to me that they all seem to know which fish to 'pick the meat off' and which ones to gobble down completely. (They seem to gobble down the small fish but the large ones, they pick the meat and skin off the bones (bones and skin have important nutritional content IMO).

I adopted a severely medically challenged (heartworm, severely malnourished) GSD (typical healthy life expectancy 8 years). He ended up living 14 years when they though he was going to die at 6 years.

After initially taking care of the heartworm, etc., we never had another vet bill for him. Even his severe pannus cleared after going gluten/corn free. After this, I found a vet on line (Dogtor John) who put another (much younger) GSD on a human (corn/gluten free) diet (of course no lily/allium either) and that dog cleared pannus too. Interesting correlation since it is deemed to be incurable.

There is all kinds of corn and gluten in store bought dog food (even the high end stuff). And they don't always label it, it seems. Interesting. So if my budget is more strapped and I need filler, I mix some meat with rice but never corn or wheat.

All of my animals seem to thrive better on 'real' food (big and small dogs, cats, sugar gliders, chickens, ducks, etc.)

That said, they all do seem to crave some greens. In the summer we live on land that is big enough for them to get their own. In the winter, I supplement with a teaspoon of kelp powder a few times a week. They all really like it because it is a little bit 'fishy'. lol

It's definitely worth researching 'real' diets for your animals.

I have read that broccoli is toxic for dogs so I don't give them broccoli.

When making food for your dog a LITTLE garlic for flavoring is OK. I make a meatloaf that I got from the vet's office in which a small amount of garlic is used. Of course, no onions. This is the first I've heard about broccoli. My dog eats more people food than he does kibble but I'm real careful about what and how much I feed him. No bones of any kind. I showed the vet a list of the foods I feed my dog and got his OK. I was feeding him boiled chicken livers with rice and the vet said don't feed him very much chicken liver. There does seem to be a lot of difference of opinions about garlic but small amounts for flavoring seems to be OK. I'd never give mine fresh garlic.

January 30, 2013 Flag

We have been feeding our two Pomeranians baked chicken for four years. Only white meat, checked for fat or bones is fed. Our vet says "people food" is not good for dogs.
It is interesting that the vet clinic has pronounced our two little boys as: "healthy dogs" in the written report.

What do other dog owners think about the safety of this food?

By David B.

My dog has issues with his pancreas, so processed dog food just doesn't to it for him. I have been going to a holistic vet, who I feel saved my dog's life. They would like me to put him on a raw diet, which I am seriously considering. In the mean time they told me to prepare his food. I usually fix a chicken stew in the crockpot. I use boneless/skinless breasts along with vegetables. The veggies I use are sweet potatoes, winter squash, beets, mushrooms, carrots, green beans. I mix up the vegetables so he gets a different taste each time I prepare the stew. I have also made meat loaf with ground chicken, turkey, buffalo, and I am hoping to get some rabbit from a friend. I process the sames vegetables in the food processor and then use them as the filler in the meat loaf. Needless to say, my little guy is doing well. The vet does have me add vitamin supplements to his food.

Some good advice here. I do raw feed my cat and cooked for my allergic dog. He lived to be 17 on home cooked food. I think the chicken is a good start. But you will need to vary the diet to see that they get necessary vitamins and minerals. I fed my dog canned salmon with brown rice. The salmon supplied the calcium he needed from the soft cooked bones. So you do need to know what nutriients your dogs need and then construct a recipe that supplies then. But that information is available with an internet search. A one food diet will not be adequate. By the way....dark meat chicken is more nutricious than white meat. So by all means home cook for your dogs; but take the time to study nutrition and choose your recipe accordingly.

Here is a link to a vet site with a good dog food recipe. This Vet goes into the basic nutrition you need to know. One last thought..dont throw away the chicken skin. Dogs and cats need a good amount of fat in their diets.

God - I'm so confused. Of late I've read not to feed dogs canned food, not to feed dogs raw meat, not to feed dogs cooked meat, not to feed dogs dog biscuits, and not to feed dog chews.

I've never been so confused about what to do. I've had dogs for 10 years & am now so paranoid that I'm left wondering what to feed my dogs to insure they have a safe & happy life.

Pets Dogs AdviceJanuary 28, 2013
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
Chicken A' La King Recipes
Tetrazzini Recipes, Chicken Tetrazzini
Chicken Tetrazzini Recipes
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume