Feeding an Adult Basset Hound

Category Basset Hound
An adult basset hound on a white background.
Adult dogs need a healthy diet to prevent illness and to maintain a good weight. This is a guide about feeding an adult Basset Hound.

What is the monthly feeding schedule for a full grown Basset Hound dog?

By bubbles from Wheeling, WV

Best Answer

Monthly schedule? I don't know about a month but can give advice about daily feeding. When I was working as my veterinarian husband's office manager we would advise people to put down an amount of food that the dog would readily consume in about 10-15 minutes. Most dog foods have a recommended amount listed but my dogs never eat that much. They're selling food, remember. If the amount you have selected is too much for that time limit, pick up the rest and save it for the next feeding.

Most "experts" advise feeding only once daily. However, if you feel bad eating and having your dog watching and wanting (as I do) then divide this amount up into 2 feedings.

If food is left down so that a dog can eat free choice they will often overeat and gain weight.

If the amount you have given at first is gobbled up and the dog seems still hungry, offer a bit more. It won't take long for you to get a good idea just how much your dog needs every day. I guess you could multiply this by 28 or 30 days to get a month's supply. Dry food is best for several reasons.