Feeding and Caring for Pet Ladybugs

These insects enjoy aphids, but there are other things they may like. This guide is about feeding and caring for pet ladybugs.

Filter Sort

Tip: Suggested Foods for Ladybugs

By Mary L. G. 1

I put out any fruit that has a high sugar content and is soft-fleshed to eat. I also figured that a fruit with a high water content is also a good choice when considering appropriate fruits to feed a ladybug, as opposed to putting water out for it to possibly drown in. If you choose a fruit with a high water content, it takes care of both hunger and thirst.
A fruit that I'm currently trying is persimmon (peeled and very ripe). I left little segments out for the ladybug and it's going crazy for it!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Feeding and Caring for Ladybugs

By Pam 1

I am a science coach with our school district and our first graders are going to be raising and caring for ladybugs in the classroom. We need to know what to feed them other than aphids? Hopefully we can find a food that is "classroom friendly". Can you help?

Pam from Midland, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By animalover09 1 Flag

Raisons or honey to eat. Put some water on a coton ball or tissue paper to drink. Put them in a small container or jar and put some soil at the botom with grass over it (this is optional). Change the food every 2 days and the water every week. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Animalover09

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Caring for Pet Ladybugs

What do they eat besides bugs? What fruits can they eat?

By Luna

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By ace swift 1 Flag

I have a lady bug right now, and I know that ladybugs can eat grapes but you have to peel the skin so they can eat it because they also eat raisins. My ladybug Stewart also has a few drops of water and some soil and grass.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: What do Ladybugs Eat?

By Marika 2 1

What do ladybugs eat?

By Nature_lover11 from Las Vegas, NV

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Grandma J 54 1,040 Flag

The ladybug is different than the chinese beetle which looks very similar, a slight more orange to the LB. The CB bites and stinks when you pick it up, crush it, etc. I try to capture both in the vacuum and move them outdoors to the gardens. The CB was brought to the US for aiding in the crops infestation from other pests from other countries. Their eggs sit on freight to be sent, hatch out when they get here.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Feeding a Pet Ladybug

By katie :p 1 2

I really want to give Bonnie my ladybug homemade food, but I don't know what to make.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

A Ladybug Friend!

The very helpful website below explains how to care for a ladybug for a little while. Ladybugs are not able to live very long in a cage as they need food nutrients and an environment that you cannot provide in a cage. Please care for your ladybug for a day or two and then release her near where you found her! Later, you may see her in a few days on a leaf or the bark of a tree and you will know that you took the best care of her when she was visiting you.

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Care-of-Your-Own-Ladybug

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Feeding a Ladybug

What should I feed my pet ladybug?

By Savannah from USA, CT

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By katie :p 1 2 Flag

My ladybug bonnie loves too eat raspberries and grapes but you have too peel them first

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Feeding Ladybugs

If you don't have aphids, what can they eat?

By Hannah from Watertown, NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

Checked wikihow for answer and how to keep ladybugs. I suggest releasing your ladybug in a day or two as they are difficult to keep alive for an extended period inside.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Caring for Ladybugs

By SierraG. :() 1

What can lady bugs eat and drink other than aphids, what do you put the food in?

By Cookies1456 from Sumrall, MS

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By gio 1 Flag

Ladybugs can also eat raisins, honey, or lettuce. Put it on a paper towel or something that is easy for them to reach.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Caring for a Ladybug

What do ladybugs need to live? What do they eat? How much water do they drink?

By Makala C.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By katie :p 1 2 Flag

Just wet a little paper towel or something and give it too your ladybug.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Feeding Ladybugs

What do ladybugs eat and drink besides aphids?

By Christian

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By hannahbriggs 1 Flag

Raisins or honey/sugar. Also give them water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ladybug Honey Water Recipe

How do you make the honey water for ladybugs? Is there a recipe for it?

By Brook P.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cheryl 2 9 Flag

I use a recipe that is 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil and let cool, then pour into hummingbird feeder. My hummingbirds love this and get really upset if it is empty.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Feeding Pet Ladybugs

I would really like to know how to make pet ladybugs food with either honey or raisins. Would you please tell me how to?

By Hailey H. from Gilbert SC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Feeding Lady Bugs

What do lady bugs eat?

By Rylee from CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Caring for Pet Ladybugs
      Pets AdviceJanuary 30, 2013
      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
      Cat and Dog Sitting Together
      Caring for Your Spayed or Neutered Pet
      Baby Bottle Feeding
      Bottle Feeding Your Baby
      Avocados on a Tree
      Caring for an Avocado Tree
      Deaf Dog
      Caring for a Deaf Dog
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 11:43:08 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings