Feeding and Caring for Pet Ladybugs

These insects enjoy aphids, but there are other things they may like. This guide is about feeding and caring for pet ladybugs.

Feeding and Caring for Pet Ladybugs
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I am a science coach with our school district and our first graders are going to be raising and caring for ladybugs in the classroom. We need to know what to feed them other than aphids? Hopefully we can find a food that is "classroom friendly". Can you help?

Pam from Midland, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I did a little research, and the adults do eat aphids, and what I found suggests you keep adults in captivity no more than several days, (they suggest feeding honey water), since their nutrition will not be adequate. If you are purchasing from a supplier that regularly supplies schools, they may be able to offer a more complete diet. Good Luck.

Best Answer

Here is a website for keeping pet ladybugs and their diet which raisins and bananas and other sweet non acidic fruits are recommended with a moistened paper towel kept sprayed with water for them to drink.

Here is the website I found: http://www.ladybuglady.com/LadybugsFAQ.htm

Sounds like fun! ( I keep crickets). :)

Read More Answers...

What do ladybugs eat?

By Nature_lover11 from Las Vegas, NV

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

They love the aphids that eat up your plants!

Best Answer

Mine eat blueberries and green leaves.

Read More Answers...

I put out any fruit that has a high sugar content and is soft-fleshed to eat. I also figured that a fruit with a high water content is also a good choice when considering appropriate fruits to feed a ladybug, as opposed to putting water out for it to possibly drown in. If you choose a fruit with a high water content, it takes care of both hunger and thirst.
A fruit that I'm currently trying is persimmon (peeled and very ripe). I left little segments out for the ladybug and it's going crazy for it!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What do they eat besides bugs? What fruits can they eat?

By Luna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a lady bug right now, and I know that ladybugs can eat grapes but you have to peel the skin so they can eat it because they also eat raisins. My ladybug Stewart also has a few drops of water and some soil and grass.

Read More Answers...

I really want to give, Bonnie, my ladybug homemade food, but I don't know what to make.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A Ladybug Friend!

The very helpful website below explains how to care for a ladybug for a little while. Ladybugs are not able to live very long in a cage as they need food nutrients and an environment that you cannot provide in a cage. Please care for your ladybug for a day or two and then release her near where you found her! Later, you may see her in a few days on a leaf or the bark of a tree and you will know that you took the best care of her when she was visiting you.

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Care-of-Your-Own-Ladybug

What should I feed my pet ladybug?

By Savannah from USA, CT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My ladybug bonnie loves too eat raspberries and grapes but you have too peel them first

If you don't have aphids, what can they eat?

By Hannah from Watertown, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Checked wikihow for answer and how to keep ladybugs. I suggest releasing your ladybug in a day or two as they are difficult to keep alive for an extended period inside.

What can lady bugs eat and drink other than aphids, what do you put the food in?

By Cookies1456 from Sumrall, MS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ladybugs can also eat raisins, honey, or lettuce. Put it on a paper towel or something that is easy for them to reach.

What do ladybugs need to live? What do they eat? How much water do they drink?

By Makala C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just wet a little paper towel or something and give it too your ladybug.

What do ladybugs eat and drink besides aphids?

By Christian

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Raisins or honey/sugar. Also give them water.

Pets AdviceJanuary 30, 2013
      Cat and Dog Sitting Together
      Caring for Your Spayed or Neutered Pet
      Baby Bottle Feeding
      Bottle Feeding Your Baby
      Foliar Feeding
      Foliar Feeding for Garden Plants
      Asian Beetles
      Getting Rid of Asian Beetles
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 23, 2016 at 12:03:12 PM on 10.0.1.206 in 419 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.