Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Finding a Good Social Security Attorney

At times it is preferable to employ an attorney to assist with legal questions, such as those regarding Social Security payments, disability, and other concerns relating to this government program. This is a guide about finding a good Social Security attorney.

April 2, 2005 Flag

I am wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of good legal help for social security. Does anyone know of a list of good attorneys that specialize in this type of work? Is there any sort of ranking for attorneys. I have reached my wits end and need to get legal help.

Thanks,
Sharon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Social Security automatically rejects every application. Stick to it. Try Legal Aid. It took about six years to finally win but the lawyer who helped me knew his stuff inside out. I eventually got all those years in backpay.

Best Answer

The Social Security office will probably have a list of lawyers who help people who need to appeal, but if you look at the attorney section in the yellow pages of the phone book, you will find that attorneys who specialize in Social Security disability claims usually put that in their telephone book listing, or in an add in that section of the phone book. You should know, though, that if you use a private attorney, they will undoubtedly take a percentage of whatever you get in the way of back pay. Make sure that the attorney you retain won't charge you unless you are able to collect Social Security. That way, you won't wind up in debt up to your eye balls. I suspect that with the impending crisis with Social Security, and all of the baby boomers who are going to be collecting retirement in the near future, that the SSA is cracking down on applicants and making the guidelines more and more stringent. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket, whatever you do!

Best Answer

I spent several years helping people with mental illness apply for Social Security and SSI. One of the most important things to do is to make sure that the clinical records match what you put on the application. For a lawyer that specializes in Social Security, look in your Yellow Pages. If you would like you can contact me at Ladyvmh @ aol.com (remove spaces)

Vickie

Try this one...

http://www.rabinsslaw.com

they are in IL, have lawyers available in other states and will travel if need be.

Jeffry Rabin and his associates are excellent at what they do. They were able to settle my disability case with in one year (which is considered to be very quick).

I would give them a call and get a referral if you live in another state other than IL.

Getting a good lawyer is very important. Good luck.

Zabe

Hi Sharon,

Once you locate 2 or 3 attorneys from this referral organization, go in for a free consultation. Then you can pick a person who best understands you, and your situation.

Most people filing for SSA benefits have multiple medical disability categories to file with, so it's good to see an attorney and find out which one(s) are your strongest to file claim under. You may also qualify for SSI (supplemental security income) in addition to SSA! An attorney can tell you.

They get nothing if you get nothing (only some teeny paper copying fees) -- but a large percentage of folks who use a SSA attorney to file, get approved very quickly and get retroactive benefits from the time of their inability to work.

SSA benefits are very different from Worker's Comp or other things some folks have gone through. This program is 100% about whether you are able to work. My friends who have filed have all gotten approved when using an attorney. It is easy to make mistakes, not get the right forms filed, not have doctors cooperate, etc.

Once you get an attorney that disappears. Everyone "plays ball" and you lawyer gets the job done!

His fee is well worth securing not only your future lifetime security and benefits, but also your Medicare Health Insurance benefits you will receive! You may also be eligible for Medicaid (low-income health insurance) while you wait for the Medicare insurance to kick in with your Social Security Benefits.

This group is very reputable. My friends have gotten good referrals from them to great attorneys! Good luck! & ((Hugs))

Sue from CT

--------------

National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives

NOSSCR: 560 Sylvan Ave, Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632

(800) 431-2804 ; Fax: 201-567-1542

The National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives (NOSSCR) is committed to providing the highest quality representation and advocacy on behalf of persons who are seeking Social Security and Supplemental Security Income.

http://www.nosscr.org/

-------------------

NOSSCR Lawyer Referral Service

For help in finding attorney representation, contact our lawyer referral service during Eastern business hours: 1-800-431-2804

------------

Frequently Asked Questions --

(very comprehensive list of how it all works! Including $$)

http://www.nosscr.org/faqind.html

--------------

October 21, 2005 Flag

Does anyone know how to a select a good Social Security attorney? It seems like they won't take you seriously until you have one.

Sandy from southern CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hi Sandy,

In our area we have a free legal service called Legal Assistance of North Dakota which takes social security cases and won't charge you. I would check with the California State Bar Association (they license attornies) to find out if California has a similiar agency. Some law firms will take these cases but they charge a percentage of any proceeds you get for back pay so it would be better to go witht the free non-profit agencies. Also, don't lose hope in this process. You may have to go through an appeal to get approved. Be sure to give them EVERY piece of medical documentation they ask for, too. Good luck to you!

Hi Sandy,

Sue from CT

--------------

(800) 431-2804 ; Fax: 201-567-1542

http://www.nosscr.org/

-------------------

NOSSCR Lawyer Referral Service

------------

Frequently Asked Questions --

http://www.nosscr.org/faqind.html

--------------

I have a really good ss attorney. I called an attorney I was familiar with by reputation and asked for a referral.

May 10, 2006 Flag

I have a Social Security disability hearing coming up at the end of May, I don't have an attorney yet, really can't afford one. Has anyone gone through this before that can offer me suggestions?

Kersti from Bellevue

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check your phone book and talk to some attorneys or even non-attorney representatives. A lot will take the case for 1/4 of any back pay, up to $5300. If there is no backpay, they don't get anything.

This link should answer all your questions about Social Security Disability

http://www.nosscr.org/faqind.html

Alma

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10029.html

Social Security Info

http://www.soci  xplained.html#04

Social Security Disability Explained

http://www.soci  s.org/index.html

Social Security Disability Claims

http://www.4soc  tydisability.com

Social Security Disability Resource Site

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com

Questions Answered

http://www.ssac  ants.com/aan.htm

Tips Helping You Navigate

http://www.disabilityfacts.com

Information

http://www.ssa.gov/disability

Info Social Security Disability

Hope These Websites Help You

My husband went through this several years ago. We couldn't afford an attorney either but after we did some searching we found a good attorney who would work on a contingency basis. We found one who used to work for the Social Security Dept. and he was very knowledgeable. He told us that almost everyone is turned down who doesn't have an attorney. Good luck!

I am going thru this right now and when I got turned down the first time I called a lawyer who does this and they were too busy but they recommended a lawyer to me and she takes care of everything for me. I dont get charged till I get paid or if I get paid, and she gets a part of the back pay.

Hi - I went through this about 3 years ago - I see that your city is Bellvue - is that NE? I used a paralegal - can't remember her name that worked out of the Center Mall at 42nd and Center streets in Omaha. She handled everything and helped me greatly - I won my 2nd appeal and she got 1/4th of my pay back. I wish you well. I know you might be very scared at the hearing and the professionals really help - at least mine did. Good luck and God Bless - Carol Ann from Ida Grove, IA

You absolutely should get a Social Security Lawyer. They advertise in the papers all the time. They charge a percentage of what your settlement is.

In the 80's we went through 3 years of hearings to get a disability for my late husband who was disabled due to severe diabetes.

Back than, they automatically turned you down, but there was always another hearing process. Having nothing but time we just kept on keeping on and finally received the benefit for him and our four kids.

Don't give up , but do get a lawyer.

I filed for disability benefits, was denied twice by social security. The best thing to do, which I did, was hire an attorney who specializes in disability claims. You do not pay a fee upfront, or at any time. Social Security determines the amount the attorney receives if you win your case. If you don't win, the attorney receives nothing. You may have some out-of-pocket expenses for copies, etc.

When I was trying to get Disability Coverage

for my son, I call my Senator about it and he was able to help. Send all of your paper work to him also and tell him why you need this coverage. Most Senators will try to help you .

Pat in GA

I am waiting for my hearing for the same thing. In the phone book look under social security attorney's and call around most get paid if you do. The one I found gets 20% of my back pay. ( hausburg and ellis ). good luck

Business and Legal Legal Hiring a LawyerAugust 22, 2013
Social Security Paperwork
Preparing for a Social Security Hearing
Social Security Survivor Benefits
Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits
Social Security Disability Form
Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits
Social Security Card
Filing for Social Security
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 15, 2017 at 5:48:59 PM on 10.0.2.148 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.