Five Hour Beef Stew

It's starting to cool off in Iowa, especially in the evenings. This is a great fall/winter meal!

Ingredients

• 2 lb. beef chuck, cut in cubes
  • Ad
  • 6 medium carrots, cut in chunks
  • 3 potatoes, cut in chunks
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 5 stalks celery, sliced
  • 2 1/2 cups stewed tomatoes (do not drain)
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 4 Tbsp. Minute Tapioca
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Place all ingredients in Dutch oven. Cover and bake for 5 hours at 250 degrees F. You can brown the beef first, if you want.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

5 Hour Stew

as a busy Mom and now a retired grandmother, I've used this recipe for years. Especially good for Sundays. I get all veggies and ingredients ready on Saturday, add with rest of ingredients on Sunday morning and put in the oven while we are at church.

I never brown the meat, but add beef bouillon and have a delicious stew ready for Sunday afternoon. We like either cornbread or sour dough bread along with the stew. Also gets better as a leftover . My daughter always begs for leftovers to take to work for her lunch. She has to "guard" it with her life when her co-workers smell the warmed stew. thanks for all your good ideas!! (02/14/2007)

By Gena Rae

5 Hour Stew

Robin, I have several tricks I use making beef stew and they work great, but I've never heard of using tapioca. This sounds really good and I will definitely try your recipe, with possibly a few mods. (I might try it 'by the book' first, and go from there.) A few things I always do with beef stew is use beer instead of water (because I dislike cooking with water unless I'm making stock), rub the meat pieces with crushed garlic before browning, and add a few dried celery flakes to the pot. Also if the stew needs to be thickened I always use Idahoan Instant Potato Flakes. I don't know how these tricks would work with the tapioca so it is probably best to leave them out the first time I try it. I presume the tapioca would eliminate the need for potato flakes, and it might not work too well with the beer. Anyway, thanks for the recipe! (02/14/2007)

By Alph

Five Hour Beef Stew

I have the same recipe only I think mine has tomato juice in it instead of the tomatoes. Very good either way, I am sure. Have not made it for quite sometime since my family is all gone. (10/20/2009)

By Laniegirl

Beef stew and dumplings
Beef Stew Recipes
Beef Stew
Canning Beef Stew
potatoes and cheese
Recipes with Five or Less Ingredients
Oven Beef Stew With Vegetables
Oven Beef Stew Recipes
Earth Hour
Celebrating Earth Hour
🎉
🎄