Fixing a Hole in a Coleman Pop Up Camper

I have an old Coleman pop top caravan, the sides are aluminum, but the front and back are a hard plastic. I have two holes at the front in the hard plastic and a crack in the back. The plastic is very brittle from age. Does anyone know how I can fix these holes? My kids love camping and I can't afford to pay for expensive repairs. The whole caravan is not worth much, but we love to go camping the kids and I.

I know someone who had a similar problem and he repaired it with duct tape and painted the tape to match the paint on the car. It's a cheap solution to the problem and worth trying. Good luck.

Hi Anne,

Thank you so much for your reply, one of the holes wraps around the corner so it needs to be a bit more supportive. But thanks anyway

cheers Marina

Why not stop by an auto-body repair shop, Marina, and ask them about using "bondo." It's a type of putty which dries when applied and the technicians then sand it down to match the countours of the vehicle. No drilling of holes (in your already fragile plastic) and of course you don't have to sand it down, just apply it to fill the holes and reinforce the strength of the front and back.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advise. I hadn't thought of going down that avenue. I will certainly follow your advise and I will keep you posted. Once again thank you for taking the time to post your idea to me

kind regards,

Marina

What about using a flexible cutting board as patch? You could use the duct tape as someone else mentioned, or a product called Fiber Fix, that was featured on Shark Tank?

I have not heard of this product before, I will google it now. Many thanks for your suggestion.

Kind regards,

Marina

Since my son is the camper in the family, I ask him for an opinion.

He said he had repaired fiberglass on a boat but never anything else - so - his suggestion was to take it to a local shop and try to get their opinion on repairs and cost as this may turn out to be a big job and may only be necessary for "looks".

If there is no local RV/Camper repair shop near by maybe there is a boat sales/repair shop that may be able to help you - either with a cost to repair or a shop that does that sort of repair.

If it is determined there is no structural damage maybe you can think of a way to "camouflage" the damage?

My daughter even suggested asking someone at a Corvette repair shop for advice seeing as how they have to repair this "type" of stuff on Corvettes.

Hope you and your family are able to go camping soon.

Thank you so much for your reply, I am very greatful

warmest regards,

Marina

I wonder if you could use the fiberglass repair kits on it? Its a fiberglass tape and you brush on the adhesive, then it all dries to a hard finish.

I will seek advise on this and see if fibreglass can be applied to plastic? it will be a great idea as you can buy kits, if it will adhere to hard plastic. Thank you so much for your idea

kind regards,

Marina

Gorilla Tape may work. It comes in a wide clear tape now. I've used it on holes in the bottom of a latex pool and it has held up. You could cover the holes with plastic from food containers, which would be bendable for the corners, and then tape over it on both sides. A square food container would provide you with four corners.

Perhaps you could fill in the cracks with an outdoor silicone. The same company puts out clear Gorilla Sealant, which is for outdoors and is waterproof. Best of luck

A truck towing a vintage popup camper.
Repairing a Popup Camper
Home and Garden Repair OtherDecember 16, 2016
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Pop Up Camper
Replacement Canvas for a Pop Up Camper
Pop-Up Camper
Replacing the Ceiling of a Pop-Up Camper
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 12:21:31 AM on 10.0.1.57 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.