Foam Board to Insulate Windows

I live in a apartment that doesn't have shutters on the windows. So, in the summertime it gets really warm in the apartment. I decided to buy the biggest foam board out there and cut it down to almost the size of my glass part on my windows. Some dollar stores have it, along with craft/hobby stores. Be sure to leave a little extra foam board so you don't have use tape or nails to keep it up.

When I was done, I put them up inside in my house and it provided privacy and shading. It also felt a million times cooler in my apartment.

By Mary from Appleton, WI

They also make a reflective plastic sheeting that adheres to the window glass. It is not expensive and may be cheaper than foam board. Your glass will be cool on the inside because the plastic reflects heat. Also, no one can see in your window because it looks like a mirror but you can see out just fine.

This a great hint. I've done this. We lived in a cabin in Missouri that had all windows (mismatched & leaked air) on one side. We almost froze the first winter until my husband also came up with this idea. Worked great. Windows got replaced and the foam was used for insulation an the walls when we replaced the windows.

Great Idea will send it along to my Sister.. Her apartment gets stifling in the summer. Thanks so much!

Does the foam also insulate against sound? I live in a upstairs condo. The window overhang makes any sound downstairs in the parking lot sound like it is in my bedroom--sort of like an acoustic bandshell. For example, I can hear a normal sound level conversation taking place outside like it is in my room, but I can yell at the top of my voice and it cannot be heard outside. So I was wondering if this would muffle sound from outside. Thanks.